Safe Radius for No Friendly Fire?

Started by MikeLemmer, September 17, 2016, 05:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeLemmer

Alright, this is confusing me. I recall reading that gunners won't hit allies that are within 3 tiles of them. However, I just shot one of my dogs to death when it was adjacent to my gunner. None of my gunners have the Trigger-Happy trait. What gives?

O Negative

I don't think there's a "safe zone", but I can test it if no one else replies in a timely manner.

Where, D represents the dog, > represents your gunner, - - - - - represents the line of fire, and < represents the enemy...

----------------------------------------------------------------

If your set up was like any of these:

D
> - - - - - <
D

or

D
  > - - - - - <
D

or

D> - - - - - <

You shouldn't have experience friendly fire, I don't think.

----------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, if your setup was like either of these:

> D - - - D <

or

D        D
> - - - - - <
   D        D

Then you were at a pretty definite risk.

RemingtonRyder

When enemies get very close to the pawn doing the firing, then friendly fire is possible.

Zhentar

Correct,  if they're within three tiles they won't intercept a bullet on the way to a target.. But misses that hit the tile they are in can still hurt them.

DuckBoy

Is that miss radius dependent on weapon accuracy? 

That is, if I have 2 identical soldiers (in shooting ability and expendability), one with a shotgun, one with a sniper rifle, and a long 1 tile hallway with an army of wargs coming down it, should I put the guy with the sniper rifle in front or the guy with the shotgun in front? 

I always would have assumed the guy with the shotgun should go in front, but shotguns (I think) have a higher accuracy at close range, thus (potentially) making friendly fire less likely to occur with the shotgunner behind once the wargs close in.