Extended research of drug and plant economy. (which plant should you grow?)

Started by eatKenny, September 17, 2016, 08:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eatKenny

hi folks, i've started a colony focusing on drug production, but i didnt know which drug brings the most profit, so i started a project which is to research the economy based on growing and producing drugs, and the research has been extended to other plants too.

here is the sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QJ9IcBpTYMW1TBKpD4CoUG8XQAWrS-XGiDOBd40kOLE/edit?usp=sharing

preview:

and the result in my opnion:

Drug production:
- on ground: Beer
- on hydroponics: Flake

Food/other production:
- on ground: Corn
- on hydroponics: Rice

carbon

eatKenny

Quote from: carbon on September 17, 2016, 09:03:29 AM
A previous discussion of drug economics.
thanks, but not quite what i needed.

i did a calculation, seems beer is the most profitable drug(by miles) in the long run.

the table:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QJ9IcBpTYMW1TBKpD4CoUG8XQAWrS-XGiDOBd40kOLE/edit?usp=sharing

carbon

Cool. It's nice to see someone actually try to crunch some numbers on it.

I'm curious as to how you came upon the workAmount numbers. Certainly you could take the raw listed work required at a drug lab / brewery and divide out a result, but that is really only a small fraction of the actual amount of work involved. Even getting the raw resource to the production bench requires a minimum of three jobs (plant, harvest, haul).

There's also a physical space consideration that weights heavily against beer, which requires it's own climate-controlled fermentation room and only stacks to 25 deep for the final product (flake goes to 500).

----

If you wanted a another hard numbers thread you might check out this. Although it never really got fully developed.

There's also a discussion of beer making as of A15 here. Although it deals as much with the intoxication effects as profitability.

eatKenny

i re-calculated the workamount, seprated the growing and crafting. Hauling is not in the calcultaion because it's difficult to turn hauling into numbers. i also added the storage efficiency.

Beer scores low at workamount and storage efficiency, but it is still the one to go for the late game.

eatKenny

i just updated the sheet, growth rate on hydroponics in calculation, the research has been extended to other plants.

Dingo

DuckBoy

Is there a way to factor blight into this?  I feel like corn has a ~250% chance to die to blight compared to rice.  Same with psychoid to beer (though lord knows how many air conditioners you need to stop the beer from going bad every heatwave and cold snap with heavy production) Is there a %chance blight per day we could add to get a %chance of harvest? 

Chance of blight during lifetime = blightChance * Grow Time. 
(or maybe (1 - pow(1 - blightChance, grow time)) ??)

Chance of death given blight = 4/5  (I think?)

Chance of crop survival = 1 - (Chance Of Death Given Blight * Chance Of Blight During Lifetime)

I don't know the underlying %chance of blight per day, probably differs per ai, should be something like bad event being blight / duration between bad events.

-
Blah, it will only serve to make corn worse and rice better, and hydroponics/fertile ground/sun lamps more important, rather than growing in large fields. 
-

Also, colonists who take smokeleaf work ~30% slower, and colonists who take yayo work ~15-50% faster (move speed + never sleep + global work happiness bonus 20%). 

Depending on chemical interests and whether you're limited by space or work amount, growing smokeleaf can feel awful compared to growing psychoid. 

eatKenny

Quote from: DuckBoy on September 18, 2016, 12:52:29 PM
Is there a way to factor blight into this?  I feel like corn has a ~250% chance to die to blight compared to rice.  Same with psychoid to beer (though lord knows how many air conditioners you need to stop the beer from going bad every heatwave and cold snap with heavy production) Is there a %chance blight per day we could add to get a %chance of harvest? 

Chance of blight during lifetime = blightChance * Grow Time. 
(or maybe (1 - pow(1 - blightChance, grow time)) ??)

Chance of death given blight = 4/5  (I think?)

Chance of crop survival = 1 - (Chance Of Death Given Blight * Chance Of Blight During Lifetime)

I don't know the underlying %chance of blight per day, probably differs per ai, should be something like bad event being blight / duration between bad events.

-
Blah, it will only serve to make corn worse and rice better, and hydroponics/fertile ground/sun lamps more important, rather than growing in large fields. 
-

Also, colonists who take smokeleaf work ~30% slower, and colonists who take yayo work ~15-50% faster (move speed + never sleep + global work happiness bonus 20%). 

Depending on chemical interests and whether you're limited by space or work amount, growing smokeleaf can feel awful compared to growing psychoid.

blight is too random to calculate, however it's true that plants with longer growth time is more vulnerable. more often is the solar flare which kills all plants on hydroponics. so plants like rice with short growth time is ideal for hydroponics.

you should never let your colonists to smoke smokeleaf, -30% is too much in my opinion. i only let my pawns take beer and yayo(yayo is a great drug ;D)