Mouse Controls

Started by Duckzor, September 18, 2016, 06:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckzor

I am hoping someone may be able to fix me on this...

I have been playing for a while now, but suddenly I have no ability to double click and select all like items. I have gone through and deselected mods, and applied mods one at a time as well to see if any make a difference.

I can left click items, but the double click doesn't work, and I can seem to find no reference to mouse button bindings or the like in game.

Thanks to anyone in advance that may be able to assist.

Cheers

nccvoyager

First, how many objects on-screen are you attempting to double-click to select?
(I know from experience that attempting to double-click to select a field of rock chunks, for example, can lead to a bunch of rock-chunks off-screen being selected, and the ones I actually want to select remaining not selected.)

If you are using Windows, and double-click to open file/program is enabled, does double-clicking something like a text file work?
If not, this may be caused by a modification to the double-click speed in the control panel "mouse" settings.
(Windows can sometimes ignore a second click in quick succession if the mouse settings are changed.)

If the problem is still not fixed, or you are using a non-Windows operating system, can you provide a copy of the output_log file in the game directory?

Transport_Minister

Please tell me you've found an answer!
I'm experiencing the same issue completely out of the blue, tried all the same things you've mentioned including fresh installation. I've got 140+ hours already, and this feels like a deal breaker for me :( so much of the game requires such a simple action.
Please HELP!

milon

No idea what OP's issue was, but we'll help you out, T_M.

Can you post your list of mods & log file (link in sig)?

nccvoyager

If I understood correctly, the issue is that they are no longer able to "double-click" to select all items of a type in range.

This feature does seem to have a few issues, admittedly.
Mostly, the main issue has nothing to do with the actual double-click selection, and actually has to do with the limited "maximum" number of items that can be selected at a time.

A secondary issue I have found is that if there are two "things" too close together, double-clicking will often cycle through the two items instead of selecting all nearby items the same as the "first" item clicked.
This one is a limitation with the way RimWorld handles "stacked" items though, and isn't that much of a problem.

That being said, from the wording of the OP, I get the idea of the following situation in my head.

Place several stacks of steel.
Double-click one stack.
All nearby stacks of steel become selected.

The way the OP described the issue, the second step of double-clicking to select all the nearby stacks results in only a single stack, the original one clicked, being selected.
Not the expected result.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned milon, without additional information, no course of action can be suggested to remedy the issue.

Transport_Minister

Thanks for the prompt response.
You're correct in the assumption that double left clicking the mouse no longer selects all items in range. This is true for any amount of items, not limited to large amounts. When double clicking, the single click (noise and item selection box) happens twice.
I'm familiar with what you're saying about things being too close together, and stacking of items on a single tile.
There is no other conflict double clicking on my PC outside of this game.

Here's the output log file https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cpnhjz5qp8vdl7/output_log.txt?dl=0

List of mods (I only just read your report a bug feature, sorry if this is in the wrong spot/mods) :
expanded prosthetics and organ engineering
colony manager
rt fuse
xeva's rimhair (a14,a15)
efficient light
[t] more floors
more vanilla turrets
crafting hysteresis
more trade ships
ed-embrasures
petfollow
qualitybuilder
stonecutting tweak
rimfridge
trading spot
glitter tech
fishindustry
no hats
prisoner harvesting
repair workbench
medical training
defensive positions
more furniture
allow tool
hand me that brick
jt more areas
edb prepare carefully
rimushima v2 modular nuclear power
hospitality a15
redistheat

i did have a few others that were not compatible with this rimworld version, but they've all been removed prior.

I'm playing this game through steam if that makes any difference.

Hopefully you can see something obvious that I can fix/change, I'd rather not have to give this game up just yet.

And yes, it was working perfectly fine up until now. Maybe a mod update screwed me over?

Thanks for your help!

milon

I didn't see anything unusual in your log file, except that it was shorter than I expected.  You posted the whole file, right?

Assuming the answer is yes, the change is likely due to a mod that alters how clicking works.  I use very few mods myself, so I'm not familiar with most of yours.  Do any of them change anything related to the UI (other than EdB) or clicking?

Transport_Minister

Would the clean installation effect the log file?
Thanks for looking anyway mate, I'll try unsubscribing from all the mods and doing another fresh installation with no syncing to steam.

Transport_Minister

Removed all mods, unsynced from steam, deleted game, clean re-installation after restart. Same issue.
Log file if this helps https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cpnhjz5qp8vdl7/output_log.txt?dl=0   (new one)
Anything possibilities you can think of at all? It's a game breaker for me.

Transport_Minister

Are there any registry files that are changed that I might be overlooking? Could you point me in the right direction for those?
I've already tried deleting the files in C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/

Transport_Minister

Not sure if you guys are still watching this thread but I've stumbled on a development, hopefully it helps.

Loading Rimworld through steam on a clean install with no mods, the "no double click" fault continues as before.

If I alt+tab to desktop and right-click the taskbar Rimworld icon, I can select "RimWorldWin" and launch the program again simultaneously. In the second window (and the third when I launched it an additional time) I was once again able to double click/select all.

This is true for each consecutive window I open. When I close the first window, the second then loses the ability to double click/select all, the third window (relegated to second) is still able to double click/select all.

I hope this makes sense, and or helps.. fault finding isn't my strong point.

If you need more information, ask. Personally, without a fix I would have stopped playing (even though I wasn't finished) and I imagine other people would feel the same.

milon

Yeah, I'm still here.  :)

About the log files - a clean install should mean a clean log file (no previous game plays in it).  Which just means less scrolling, but would still contain the appropriate info - if there is anything to find in it.

About your latest discovery - that's a really valuable find!  It makes me think Windows is not properly handling the double-click messages being sent to the game by the OS.  I'm glad you've got a workaround, but I'd love to see a proper fix for that issue.  Maybe it's related to a recent Windows Update or driver update or something?

What version of Windows are you on?  Is it 32 or 64 bit?  What are your hardware specs?  Were there any recent Windows Updates or driver updates?  Did you install any new software?  etc ;)

EDIT - Latest log file doesn't show any problems either.
EDIT 2 - I checked with Tynan. Doesn't seem to be a RimWorld problem, so there's nothing for him to do about it.  But that doesn't mean we're giving up yet!

nccvoyager

Small suggestion, disable the Steam in-game overlay.

Rock5

I heard others have had problems with the steam overlay. I don't use steam myself.

Otherwise I was going to suggest checking your mouse settings. I had an issue once with dragging with the middle mouse button which is supposed to move the background. It wasn't working and ended up being the default mouse setting for the middle button had changed.

Also if you have any windows mouse tools running, check them too.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

nccvoyager

Indeed, I have seen the Steam in-game overlay break a few things.
I have not played RimWorld via Steam yet, as my netbook cannot properly run RimWorld. (Below minimum resolution.)

In terms of the Steam overlay and issues, one of the major things I noticed was that with some mid-range ATI GPUs, the Steam in-game overlay could cause some programs to fail to start, or straight up CTD, if the overlay was enabled.

It seems that a known issue occurs between the Raptr third-party program in-game overlay and ATI "control panel" software, and depending upon the nature of the issue, an extrapolation could be made that a similar conflict could occur with the Steam in-game overlay.

Anyways, back on topic, Transport_Minister, if you are still watching, could you let us know if disabling the in-game overlay helps?
(Can be disabled by right-clicking RimWorld in the Steam Library, selecting "properties", and then deselecting the "enable in-game overlay" box.)
For Windows, anyways.