[Mod Request/Suggestion] Travelling between tiles/Resettling

Started by Decembler, September 19, 2016, 06:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decembler

The idea is based on EdB Prepare Carefully mod, and based on saving parameters of colony and then respawn everything with those. So, you select the colonist(s) and gear which you want to resettle and take to other place, then these all saved, and you can exit to menu and start new colony, and in presets - load what needed. That is the simplest concept that i could think of. In addition it would require pack animals/additional food for travelling/extra debuff after resettling for 1-3 days that prevents new resettle, like "Tired of resettling" or something. I hope this would be implented soon.

[Edit: Sorry for my bad English, hope everything is understandingly]

Master Bucketsmith

This concept has been suggested many times, yet no one has stepped forward saying it is possible and made a proof of concept.

On a side-note; it is exactly the type of travel I would like to see. No need to run the homebase in realtime, just keep it simple.
And it would allow resources to be spread over a larger area, forcing you to search them out. :)

Arnold Rimmer

Could this be as simple as using the map re-roll mod and change that in a way
that, when you press re-roll, you end up on the worldmap and there can select a different tile?
That mod DOES save somehow the resources that you have when you arrive and
places them around you on the re-rolled map.

More precise: use the core of the re-roll mod and at the moment you click Re-roll
the function leads to a re-settling instead of re-newing the same map, based on where you
click on the pupped-up worldmap.
[Insert combination of words here]

Facepunch

Maybe not so hard..? The issue would be if you ever wanted to return to your homebase, I think. Maybe. If it's a matter of moving, it surely can't be difficult to reference the world the colony was on, and render the world according to the tile +/-1 x, or +/-1y from your current colony.

Master Bucketsmith

You would have to save everything, like a savegame, but have some way to load the things you 'bring back'.
I'm sure with enough effort someone could make something that works.
But y'know, it's all C#-mancy and not everyone is a codemancer.

Serenity

The game already allows you to start a map with all kinds of items and pets. Purely theoretically it might be possible to use that functionality to just create a new map and spawn your old stuff as new items.

Arnold Rimmer

Idea: To make it more managable/possible, giving up your current colony
should be a requirement i think.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Arnold Rimmer on September 21, 2016, 02:47:16 PM
Idea: To make it more managable/possible, giving up your current colony
should be a requirement i think.
To what end would that serve?
If you give up your colony, you're essentially starting a new game.
And we already have tools (vanilla and mods) that allows us to customize our start.
Just a quality of life thing to easily start a new colony with specific things like pawns and items?

Arnold Rimmer

Ideally, you would have the ability to re-start with the experience you have accumulated,
the equipment your colonists wear, the science you re-searched, your trained animals and
maybe even a small wagon with selected ( limited to one 10x10 stockpile or so ) goods and wares.

What interests me personally is re-settling in a totally different biome,
either upping the difficulty ( temperate -> arctic ) or the other way round ( desert -> temperate ).
You partially could do something like that with the prepare carefully mod,
but it would require quite some work and all science still would be lost.

Jaxxa

Quote from: Master Bucketsmith on September 19, 2016, 03:49:35 PM
This concept has been suggested many times, yet no one has stepped forward saying it is possible and made a proof of concept.
Not Updated to A15 but this is very close to what my Stargate mod does.
Put Colonists / Resources into it, Start a new game and Recall the same Colonists / Resources from the last game in the new map.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18995.msg207277#msg207277

Decembler

Quote from: Jaxxa on September 28, 2016, 11:31:39 PM

Put Colonists / Resources into it, Start a new game and Recall the same Colonists / Resources from the last game in the new map.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18995.msg207277#msg207277

That is actually what i'm talking about! But besides of using stargate it could be a pack animals, loaded with stuff and just coming to field border, maybe, or pressing some kind of button/action like "Travel to new location".

mabor0shi

I remember reading the description of the ED-Stargate mod on it's thread, being confused, and moving on. "allows you to transport materials over the great distances between colonies." is too non-specific. No offense intended, really. Just thought u should know that if it had said:
I would have decided to check it out. I think it's something people hav been wanting, yet unable to achieve. I hope you update it successfully and I look forward to givin it a try.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!