[A15]True Mods 19.10.16 -vanilla friendly mods -new: some fixes and minor mods!

Started by TrueDestroyer, September 19, 2016, 12:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueDestroyer

Quote from: Justas love on October 10, 2016, 01:00:21 PM
maybe add stronger/stuffed conduits, same with coolers and vents. Maybe add wired fences (pretty much a sandbag with a diffrent texture). Reduce the power cost on the lights, or maybe add led lights. Make a Recycler, it recycles components, cloths from items: clothing, weapons and all sorts of things.
Also those steel floors look sick af dude!
For me the regular conduits look fine - you can reinforce them by puttin them in walls. Also when you choose to put them on the ground among your turrets, there's thrill and gamble, cause they're easily damaged and may cause half your killbox turrets to turn off quickly if you don't get the wire placement right, and I like that as it is. I'm also kind of worried now to touch anything related to conduits, due to recent bugs I caused involving these;) But I give you that, it deserves to be tested, this stronger conduit could simply cost more, or be made of plasteel. Darn. I will think about it.

About vents and coolers I'll take a look. There was a mod long time ago that added bigger, stronger, industrial coolers and I liked it a lot.
Having different vents, so you can use regular ones to vent stuff like living rooms, and reinforced vents to vent your killboxes, infestation farms and faraway geothermal plants walled up with granite may seem like a nice idea. It's just not a high priority mod for me now, as I rarely use vents anyways - walls transfer heat too, and if you need to vent a room badly, you can just remove some roof tiles for free (ofc if not under thick roof).

About these wired fences - I thought about it, and the idea evolved into caltrops. To differ them from sandbags, I think they should apply damage -  But then they would work like traps, and be hidden... I'm not sure you can make unhidden traps now, that's why I put it on hold. Wired fence should also provide almost 0 cover, unlike sandbags, and slow enemies down. It could totally be just caltrops with different graphics...(That's why I created caltrops).
I could ignore the "causes minor cuts and scratches part" and then I'm left with - provides 0 cover, and slows down. And there's a mod that adds buildable moats that do exactly that. Edit: I probably found the mod you were talking about, the barbed wires created there were simply unpassable 0 cover objects. If I do it like this it will be unbalanced. They will have low cost, just some metal wires right? First impression - it feels kind of OP, I can imagine making labirynths out of it to force raiders choose an "unobstructed" path and dance around in front of your turrets with no cover. And you could shoot them like sitting ducks from behind sandbags each time, for free. Will analyze it further though.

About reducing cost on the lights - I thought about it, but there's a mod by Dingo, Reasonable lamps, and I felt like there's no need to just make something similiar now, however I admit that I would only modify the standing lamps, and leave the sun lamp as it is - cause people still manage to create large super efficient farms, so sun lamps are probably balanced.
I was thinking about new type of lamp that would be in the wall (in the power conduit) rather than a standing furniture object. There were mods adding wall mounted lamps and even ceiling lights in the past.
The recycler though...

Quote from: mabor0shi on October 10, 2016, 06:03:20 PM
Quote from: Justas love on October 10, 2016, 01:00:21 PM
Maybe add wired fences (pretty much a sandbag with a diffrent texture). Make a Recycler, it recycles components, cloths from items: clothing, weapons and all sorts of things.
I second these. There is a mod with barbed wire or razor wire; but the texture was so ugly that I uninstalled it. As for the recycler, i think TrueDestroyer could make a balanced 1. there's already component assembly workbenches; adding a "recycling" bill with junk as ingredients is almost easy enuf for me to do. But I like the idea of a machine that u load somethings in, wait a day, then it spits out a component (or any goodies, it's the recyling & waiting that matters). There's a modding challenge for ya 8)
Query: caltrops damage feet? that would be unbalancing, no?
You hit the spot, this recycler is like a challenge. And I like to utilise existing mechanics in a new way - this may not require anything more than xml modifications, but this may take time for me to learn and test.
Caltrops damage random bodyparts, because as far as I know one is not able to define what bodyparts should be damaged by damage type in xml structures, and it's random by default. I even posted in some suggestions thread asking if it could be implemented, and set in xml defs. If it was possible, they would deal less damage, spring off a bit less often, but in 95% of causes the damage would only go to feet and toes. But you asking this, made me curious and now I want to check this again, maybe I overlooked something, and it would be a nice update for caltrops to have it implemented.

To sum up - If I invent a creative way to implement any of the stuff you suggested, I will. And for some stuff I can already say that I likely will:)

- my vanilla friendly balanced mods and game fixes.

Dingo

TrueDestroyer

Quote from: Dingo on October 11, 2016, 03:02:56 AM
I call foul play, good sir.

Well I used some help on that particular mod xD What's more improtant, did you get the one about the fellowship of the ring yet?

Dingo

TrueDestroyer

Oh come on, regular art descriptions on the other hand are weird, sometimes in a creepy way. You got the two ones out of a dozens of others that are somewhat different and intentionally humorous - imagine that you just found a rare Pepe. Ever heard of easter eggs? This is my first mod out of around 20 that has them. I should probably note that these two may not be vanilla friendly to full extent though, because they contain these two lines. Edit: Just noted it in mod info in the first post.

Dingo

Haha I'm just kidding. It was kinda weird, though, I just like the bizarre and nonsensical descriptions of the base games. They have a lot of character.

Though this one cracked me up:

Minor typo in RulePacks_Art_DescriptionRoot.xml: "[animal]s are lookin curiously at the scene"

TrueDestroyer

Quote from: Dingo on October 11, 2016, 08:16:21 AM
Haha I'm just kidding. It was kinda weird, though, I just like the bizarre and nonsensical descriptions of the base games. They have a lot of character.
(...)

Minor typo in RulePacks_Art_DescriptionRoot.xml: "[animal]s are lookin curiously at the scene"
It's ok:) thanks for finding the typo :) I thought this mod would be easy to make but fixing typos took several hours of work, and I didn't even manage to find them all:) Will fix it in next release.

And about this one art description, it's based on vanilla content only, so you could get it without my mod too:) erotic style was vanilla, whereas the 'cleric' and 'god' were pulled out of ingame namebase:)

I'll think about barbed wires and recycler, though I recently found skullywag's mod that lets you recycle apparel. Also, recycle what exactly? Used weapons to their original resources is only option I see now. There's nothing much else to recycle. Mechanoids can be disassembled, buildings can be deconstructed, steel slags can be smelted. Looking for ideas on that.

mabor0shi

Quote from: TrueDestroyer on October 12, 2016, 05:26:49 AM
Will also think about barbed wires and recycler, though I recently found skullywag's mod that lets you recycle apparel.
Skullywag's Reclaim Fabric is good for making fabric out of damaged apparel. But not for recycling anything else. Anyway, I like the reinforced conduit. It just has more HP, not less likely to explode, right? And the sun lamps, realistically, would push heat. Probably it was overlooked. But maybe they dont because they r usually used in a greenhouse where heat is (often) desirable. Making them not give off heat could b part of balancing them, though i think they r nerfed enuf by huge power consumption alone. Keep up the good work, TD.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

TrueDestroyer

There's been a new update: Fixing Neolithic tribes being able to build tool cabinets and billiard tables and much more advanced stuff from day one. Adding a log wall from older game versions. Adding a nice and versatile furnace to help you survive with something other than a fireplace. Also fixes to lamps, and a new small lamp. And last but not least, a plasteel reinforced power conduit - requires research, lategame. Just more hp and work to make. More info in the main post (snapshots included).

Fixed the first post layout to be more friendly.
If it turns out that there are no bugs and issues with new content, I'll probably take a break form releasing mods, and in the future release content on much slower pace than before.

Canute

QuoteArmored military exoskeleton enhancing strength and manipulation, but reducing movement speed.
But -10% Work speed, from the description it should be +10%.

Ind. exoskeletons got +45% work speed.

TrueDestroyer

Military one increases your manipulation when wielding weapons, stabilising your aim and helps you with recoil and keeping weapon on target, designed to work with variety of weapons and simply slightly aiming them for you based on military software analyzing the situation- giving bonuses to accuracy. This bonus is not overpowered and rather small, but noticeable. Additionally to compensate that, it has better armor or hp than the other version. It's not designed to help you work though, and wearing these without using a gun the user is rather clumsy. The industrial version is great when it comes to do work related tasks, like construction or usage of complex items, with tools and micro manipulation, and carrying capacity bonus, but is not designed to stabilize your aim in combat situations (like the combat version), and you can notice a huge accuracy debuff on that one. The user has problems to hold and aim weapons properly, and there's no additional aid in pointing them at distant targets. I know it gives huge bonus to global workspeed, but honestly, wearing this all day you won't get much stuff done without planning anyway (huge movement speed debuff). So, it's all intended:)

Canute

Then just change the description, from manipulation into weapon handling :-)

Dingo

I tried to make improvements to your art description mod, fixing some grammar issues and making some sentences more sensible in terms of structure.

Attached a RulePackDefs zip to this post.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

TrueDestroyer

Quote from: Dingo on October 16, 2016, 05:55:55 AM
I tried to make improvements to your art description mod, fixing some grammar issues and making some sentences more sensible in terms of structure.

Attached a RulePackDefs zip to this post.

I''ve included your stuff, merging it with my code and double checking everything. Typos, lacks of articles, wrong word order - fixed. Most went through as you suggested it.
There are some changes that won't be put in place as you proposed, eg. I wont change 'everything is so [composition] and so [artstyle_adj], that (...)' to 'everything is so [composition] and so [artstyle_adj], that (...)' - It was that by default, but I changed it because there's a chance to roll "very static" and "very dynamic" on composition and it would look weird. Changed it to "and simultaneously so". Also the excess of new lines was used mostly to divide the vanilla content from new content.

Quote from: Canute on October 16, 2016, 05:37:49 AM
Then just change the description, from manipulation into weapon handling :-)
Done.

Both these, minor exoskeleton desc fix and art descriptions fixes by Dingo will be in a silent update - I'll simply upload these files fixed in several minutes.

Dingo

The so and so thing was changed because I actually had a piece of art that said "everything is circular and so *adjective*" which makes little grammatical sense. "Everything is so circular and *adjective*" makes perfect grammatical sense.