Integrating Mods into Mainline Rimworld

Started by starlight, March 20, 2014, 04:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starlight

Hi,

I think mods make a lot of sense. There is also a vibrant community making mods.

However, there are a large number of mods making different kinds of changes. Some of these are changes that will *anyway* be needed in mainline Rimworld.

I am talking about things like a *wood economy*. Probably / hopefully the only reason it is not added it is because of lack of time from the dev.

Hence, I would like to suggest a sort of competition where the best mods that have content in line with the story / development focus of Rimworld get integrated with the mainline.

This lets everyone get the benefit.

If not, someone (I don't who!!) can make a mega-mod that brings together different mods.......or different people can come together to work on different parts of a mod.

Plasmatic

Quote from: starlight on March 20, 2014, 04:33:33 AM
Hi,

I think mods make a lot of sense. There is also a vibrant community making mods.

However, there are a large number of mods making different kinds of changes. Some of these are changes that will *anyway* be needed in mainline Rimworld.

I am talking about things like a *wood economy*. Probably / hopefully the only reason it is not added it is because of lack of time from the dev.

Hence, I would like to suggest a sort of competition where the best mods that have content in line with the story / development focus of Rimworld get integrated with the mainline.

This lets everyone get the benefit.

If not, someone (I don't who!!) can make a mega-mod that brings together different mods.......or different people can come together to work on different parts of a mod.

I'm not sure wood economy is planned, it would be nice, but I am unsure.

I'm also not sure your idea is great.. many mods rely on a hackjob to shoehorn their way into the game, making big comprimisses because the modders can't change hardcoded behavior or whatnot..

putting said mods in would just mean more work for Tynan as he would have to make sure it fit the story, find the shoehorned parts and fix them, and then update everything...

I might just be better to let him develop these things on his own, from the ground up.