[A15] CK - Animal & Plant Pack v1.3.1 (11/04/16)

Started by Coercion, September 19, 2016, 07:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coercion

Coercion || Kaptain-Kavern
Animal & Plant Pack

Download!

The purpose of this mod is to add a significant amount of new plants and animals to the game and increase fauna and flora biome diversity.

[See the wiki for a complete list of features.]

A patch is available for A Dog Said (under the Download! link above) that allows the animals added by this mod to recieve the animal surgeries and bionics added by A Dog Said.

CHANGELOG

v1.0

- Adds Jaguar, Panda Bear, Tiger, White Tiger
- Adds Elephant Pack Animals to the rain forest
- Adds Fern (3 variations), Bromeliad, Heliconia, Rafflesia, Mahogany Tree, Bamboo, Strangler Fig, Palm (3 variations), Taro, Coconut Palm, Banana Tree, Rice Plant, Smokeleaf, Cotton Plant, Psycoid Plant, Healroot Plant, Coffea, Lemongrass
- Adds Taro Root, Coconuts, Bananas, Rice, Smokeleaf, Cotton, Psycoid, Healroot, Coffee Beans, Lemongrass
- Adds Wilders and Jungle Traders factions
- Adds tropical weather (e.g. tropical rain, etc.)

v1.0.1 Wild modded Vanilla plants are now completely separate from their crop version counterparts

v1.0.2 Banana trees now yield 12 instead of 30 when harvested.

v1.0.3 Minor adjustment on how taro plants and ferns regrow

v1.1

- Increases spawn chance of prey animals
- Increases beauty of tropical plants
- Adds tropical plants to potted plants list
- Removes the alpha beaver incident from the rainforest
- Adds manhunters to biome
- Several minor improvements (e.g. descriptions and corrected textures)

v1.2

- Adds Tapir, Junglefowl, Peafowl, Okapi

v1.3:

- Adds dream vine and dead trees (tree stumps) to the wild plant list.
- Adds dream root (effects similiar to beer) harvestable from dream vine.
- Adds a bill to the drug lab for synthesizing neutroamine (from dream root).
- Coffee beans now give a boost to the rest need.
- Coffee beans and dream root can be scheduled and are usable as cooking ingredients (raw plant) without the drug effect.
- Adds beehives and honeycomb
- Adds apiary to crop list (beekeeping must be researched first)
- Replaces the taro plant with a new texture
- Fixes potted heliconia texture
- Ibex, Deer, Alpaca, Bongo now produce milk. Chinchillas are now herd animals. Rhinos, Ibex, Gazelle, Bongos, now drop horns. Elk, Deer, Caribou now drop antlers. Junglefowl and Peafowl now lay unfertilized eggs.
- Makes Okapi and Chinchilla slightly less common
- Separates wild plants from potted plants and crops to fix the blight incident.
- Removes all factions added by previous versions of this mod (Jungle Traders & Wilders).
- Animals will prioritize eating harvestable plants before ferns
- Elephants now clear (eat) trees (replacing the alphabeaver mechanic).
- Makes minor corrections/clarifications to animal names
- Wood yielding modded Trees are now locked behind a cheap Research Project (to de-clutter the crop menu).
- Completely disables non finished animals (some monkeys and birds with graphic placeholders were spawning as starting pets or brought by traders).
- Completely renames all Defs in the code for compatibility with other mods.
- Young chicken-like birds now looks like chicks (not small adults).

v1.3.1:

- Coffee Beans and Dream Root can no longer be used in cooking
- Reduces the size of the apiary to only take up one crop tile
- Makes edits to grammar and nomenclature
- Makes changes to animal and plant rarity and statistics
- Honeycomb now gives the "ate fine meal" bonus (similiar to insect jelly)

PLANS

v1.4 plans to add:

Replaces "coffea bush" and "coffee beans" with "jitter weed" and "jitter berries"
Adds texture for jitter berries
Adds texture for jitter weed (crop)
Adds texture for dream vine (crop)
Adds texture for junglehens
Adds texture for peahens
Replaces the peafowl texture
Replaces the monkey texture
Replaces the cobra texture
Replaces the lemongrass (consumable) texture

v2.1 plans to add:
- Adds various plants and animals to every biome
- Makes changes to plant and animal statistics in every biome
- Makes changes to the weather in every biome
- Adds termite mounds as a new protein (meat) source [arid shrubland]
- Adds grass (dead) [arid shrubland]
- Adds mushrooms as a new protien (meat) source [various]
- Replaces and resizes the oak tree texture

RELATED MEDIA

gillsminnow (this series contains customizations (custom plant textures, weather, etc.) to the mod and may not be an accurate representation of the mod in its entirety)

Coercion

Tropical Rain Forest

The tropical rain forest is a challenging biome with deadly diseases, strong animals, intense rainstorms and a thick jungle canopy that makes movement and expansion a challenge.

Animals in Biome [18]: Jaguar, Panda Bear, Tiger, White Tiger, Tapir, Junglefowl, Peafowl, Okapi, Panther, Elephant, Cassoway, Iguana, Capybara, Chinchilla, Wild Boar, Rat, Cobra, Tortoise

Plants in Biome [25]: Fern (3 variations), Bromeliad, Heliconia, Rafflesia, Mahogany Tree, Bamboo, Strangler Fig, Palm (3 variations), Taro, Coconut Palm, Banana Tree, Rice Plant, Smokeleaf, Cotton Plant, Psycoid Plant, Healroot Plant, Coffea, Lemongrass, Dream Vine, Beehive, Tree Stump

Consumables in Biome [12]: Taro Root, Coconuts, Bananas, Rice, Smokeleaf, Cotton, Psycoid, Herbal Medicine, Coffee Beans (drug), Lemongrass, Dream Root (drug), Honeycomb

Weather in Biome: Tropical Rain, Tropical Thunderstorm, Tropical Foggy Rain, Tropical Fog, Tropical Clear

Some tips for surviving the rain forest:

1. You can stop plant movement sway in the vanilla options menu.
2. Rain forest plants take time to clear, so having pawns without the ability to plant cut will add a real challenge to the play through.
3. Clear out plants for pathing. The dense jungle will considerably slow down pawns.
4. Wood is abundant, but trees take a long time to chop down. Prioritize time and resources and focus on smaller trees and plants when clearing large areas.
5. Remove rafflesia from your area as these drastically reduce beauty.
6. Foraging is a viable food option. Look out for rice, bananas, coconuts and lemongrass.
7. While rare, coffee beans, smokeleaf, psycoid, healroot and cotton can also be foraged.
8. The rain forest provides a lot of cover. Clear out areas to hit enemies, or use the cover to your advantage.
9. Some animals in the rain forest do a lot of damage and are very fast. Choose fights wisely and try to avoid being ambushed.
10. The rain forest rains a lot, so consider this when deciding on power and building options.

Future Plans
- Bongo
- Anteater
- Ocelot
- Capuchin Monkey
- Spider Monkey
- Squirrel Monkey
- Orangutan
- Coati
- Chimpanzee
- Gorilla
- Komodo Dragon
- Python

Coercion

Temperate Forest

Future Plans
- Black Bear
- Skunk
- Badger
- Dove
- Goose (winter)
- Badger
- Racoon
- Donkey
- Goat
- Sheep
- Duck

Coercion

Arid Shrubland

Future Plans
- Lion (male)
- Lioness (female)
- Cheetah
- Hyena
- Warthog
- Horse
- Zebra
- Wildebeast
- Buffalo
- Bushbuck
- Antelope
- Addax
- Hippopotamus
- Giraffe
- Meerkat
- Kangaroo
- Crocodile
- Honey Badger
- Armadillo

Coercion

Desert & Extreme Desert

Future Plans
- Mountain Lion
- Bobcat
- Coyote
- Rattlesnake
- Mouse
- Vulture
- Crow

Coercion

Boreal Forest

Future Plans
- Snow Leopard
- Arctic Hare
- Moose
- Muskox
- Bighorn Sheep
- Yak
- Seal
- Walrus
- Lynx
- Wolverine
- Penguin
- Goose (summer)

Tundra & Ice Sheet

Future Plans
- Snow Leopard
- Arctic Hare
- Moose
- Muskox
- Bighorn Sheep
- Yak
- Seal
- Walrus
- Lynx
- Wolverine
- Penguin
- Goose (summer)

gillsminnow

I'd like to really thank you guys for this mod, amazing work. The jungle looks absolutely amazing now.

Edit: I've figured out almost everything I had answers for. Only thing I'd like would be the DPS of the animals to be brought in line with vanilla numbers (Panda almost double DPS than Grizzly for example).

Edit 2: Is there a way to stop plant growback so quickly? I cut plants and within a few seconds it seems like they're all back again. :D

Thanks again for the great mod.

Igabod

I'm glad to see another person adding more diversity to the game. I used to maintain two mods which added more plants and more animals but I haven't had time to keep them up to date lately so unfortunately they've been discontinued for the time being. I'd be happy to donate some of the textures I did to add into this mod though. I only did one animal texture myself (the rest in that particular mod were done by other people so I can't offer those up) but I did quite a few plant textures I can donate. I'll attach a zip file containing all the textures I can donate and you can pick and choose from them however you like or you can choose not to use them if you don't like them. Let me know if you need or want anything else from me and I'll see what I can do.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Adventurer

A lot of people use Vegetable Garden for additional crops, so it might be a good idea to separate the plants and the animals.

Coercion

Quote from: gillsminnow on September 19, 2016, 08:17:52 PM
I'd like to really thank you guys for this mod, amazing work. The jungle looks absolutely amazing now.

Edit: I've figured out almost everything I had answers for. Only thing I'd like would be the DPS of the animals to be brought in line with vanilla numbers (Panda almost double DPS than Grizzly for example).

Edit 2: Is there a way to stop plant growback so quickly? I cut plants and within a few seconds it seems like they're all back again. :D

Thanks again for the great mod.

- I can rebalance the dps some. I do think that the vanilla animals are too weak though. A few hits from a tiger should do some serious damage. Pawns should hunt prey animals if they are ill-equipped or inexperienced.

- I will look into the plant growback.

Coercion

Quote from: Adventurer on September 19, 2016, 09:53:53 PM
A lot of people use Vegetable Garden for additional crops, so it might be a good idea to separate the plants and the animals.

The plants and animals can't be separated due to the way that the game was coded (i.e. the same file is used for both). You can customize your plants/animals in the file:

Defs/BiomeDefs/Biomes_Moderate.xml

A Vegetable Garden patch may be released in the future.

Igabod

Quote from: Coercion on September 19, 2016, 10:07:57 PM
Quote from: Adventurer on September 19, 2016, 09:53:53 PM

The plants and animals can't be separated due to the way that the game was coded (i.e. the same file is used for both). You can customize your plants/animals in the file:

Defs/BiomeDefs/Biomes_Moderate.xml

A Vegetable Garden patch may be released in the future.

They can be separated but only if you add a patch that combines them if people want it. The Biomes_xx.xml file is the only file needed in the patch so you can include a download for that file in both mod listings and tell people to replace the one in the mod files with that one. It makes for extra work though and was a source of irritation for me when I was updating my two mods. The patches for compatibility with all the other mods that affect that one file are numerous. Even in alpha 9 and 10 when I was actively maintaining my mods there were at least 3 or 4 mods I had to work with. Now in alpha 15 there are even more mods so you'll have a long list of compatibility patches if you intend on making things work. It's not hard work, just annoying. So as long as you are willing to devote time to it I say go for separating them. But if you don't have the patience to keep updating patches every time one of the other mods updates then just keep the mod as it is now and put a big bright colored disclaimer on the OP saying "This mod is not compatible with the following mods:". Some people might complain but the most likely thing that will happen is one of the people who uses your mod will do the work for you and post a compatibility patch for whichever of the mods they like to use with this one. If it were me I'd go for letting the users do the patch work and just focus on adding content to your mod. As for the damage levels, I'd take them down to 12 at the max for the strongest animal and below 10 for the others. The other option is to have two difficulty modes and include a separate patch file to be downloaded for the weaker animals. That would of course add more work so it wouldn't be the route I would use, I would just go for the lower damage levels and let the people that want more of a challenge edit the damage levels themselves since it's such a simple edit. Just include instructions for that edit on the original post and let the users decide if that's what they want or not. The majority of people that would download this mod aren't looking for a super-powerful beast to insta-kill their colonists so you should cater to those people and let the more hardcore people make the changes they want. All of this advice is free for you to use or discard as you wish though, I wouldn't presume to tell you how to do your own mod. Good luck with it and I hope you keep adding to it. Rimworld has come a long way since I started my mods but it can always use more diversity.

kaptain_kavern

Hi folks, thanks for the welcome and feedbacks.

Near future of the mod/Roadmap:

Apart new animals (that is mostly Coercion part ;) ) I intend to focus on polishing the actual work a bit. I would like new consumable having a bit more "fun"/specific use, for now they are just basic blend ingredient. It will be nice to have Coffee creating coffee in cups, etc but it kind of double with some of VegGarden features (I still wonder how to handle that)

Along improvements and corrections, the next thing I will also focus on is VegGarden compatibility (with a patch or a tweaked version - I need to see what will be more easy - I could also maybe have all plants that are also in VegGarden in a separate file that can be erased/moved if needed)

About feedbacks :

Regarding wild plants, I already have a fix (dev Branch on Github) for having wild vanilla plants and let the game use vanilla defs for cropped versions (It could also work with VegGarden i'd say but you'd still have double plants). I just need to test it a bit before releasing 1.0.1 already ^^

Thanks CupProPanda buddy! I always liked your work btw (If you happen to make a game, please announce it there for us ;) )

About plants regrowing quickly : hey it's the rainforest folks plants are wild out there, I personally like the way it does atm. Else there are some value in the XML def that are playing for that but <seedEmitMTBDays> must be the prime culprit (it is set high for the Ferns per example)

Also I found it a good idea to lock some of the growable new plants behind research (maybe not all) what do you think CoCo?

Thx for your insights Igabod (Hey modding your Biodiversity mod was one of the thing that put me in the modding things ^^) I will probably keep the "core" mod as is, and provide little patches alongside

gillsminnow

Yeh addressing the Vegetable Garden stuff would be lovely. That  (and locking the new plants behind research were my questions I actually edited out).

I only ask about the grow back times as I sometimes clear plants in a certain areas to prevent/control fire spread. So I tried it but it seemed as soon as I cleared some more just appeared. A patch of soil looks nice against the jungle backdrop. :D

Igabod

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on September 19, 2016, 10:56:28 PM
Thx for your insights Igabod (Hey modding your Biodiversity mod was one of the thing that put me in the modding things ^^) I will probably keep the "core" mod as is, and provide little patches alongside

Hey Kap! I wasn't aware you were the K in the CK! Glad to see another mod by you. And I'm always happy to give advice to others whether or not they decide to take it. If you ever want honest input on any of your projects you can always send me a private message and I'll respond within a day or two. You've been around here for a while now and I suspect that your dedication will make this mod better than any of my earlier mods. I intend on installing this mod once it is fleshed out a little more and giving it a try, but if you need any assistance whatsoever (opinions, questions, bug smashing, or anything else) just let me know and I'll do my best to help you out. Keep up the good work. I'll be watching this mod as it develops and I will provide whatever feedback I can. :)