[A15] CK - Animal & Plant Pack v1.3.1 (11/04/16)

Started by Coercion, September 19, 2016, 07:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coercion

Kaptain_Kavern and I discussed some issues with the mod yesterday, and came up with some changes to the v1.3 release.

This is the updated list of the v1.3 release:

- Adds dream vine and dead trees (tree stumps) to the wild plant list.
- Adds dream root (effects similiar to beer) harvestable from dream vine.
- Adds a bill to the drug lab for synthesizing neutroamine (from dream root).
- Coffee beans now give a boost to the rest need.
- Adds beehives and honeycomb
- Adds apiary to crop list (beekeeping must be researched first)
- Replaces the taro plant with a new texture
- Fixes potted heliconia texture
- Ibex, Deer, Alpaca, Bongo now produce milk. Chinchillas are now herd animals. Rhinos, Ibex, Gazelle, Bongos, now drop horns. Elk, Deer, Caribou now drop antlers. Junglefowl and Peafowl now lay unfertilized eggs.
- Separates wild plants from potted plants and crops to fix the blight incident.
- Removes all factions added by previous versions of this mod (Jungle Traders & Wilders).
- Animals will prioritize eating harvestable plants before ferns
- Elephants now clear (eat) trees (replacing the alphabeaver mechanic).
- Makes minor corrections/clarifications to animal names
- Wood yielding modded Trees are now locked behind a cheap Research Project (to de-clutter the crop menu).
- Completely disables non finished animals (some monkeys and birds with graphic placeholders were spawning as starting pets or brought by traders).
- Completely renames all Defs in the code for compatibility with other mods.
- Young chicken-like birds now looks like chicks (not small adults).

Coercion

Quote from: Draegon on October 16, 2016, 07:15:16 PM
Awesome! Was the caravan bug fixed though?

The factions will be removed in v1.3 which will fix any issues related to factions/caravans.

Coercion

Quote from: Hydromancerx on October 19, 2016, 06:15:54 PM
Those look awesome! You thinking about making some sort of antler weapon like an axe or spear? I know there was a neolithic mod that used antler axes.

I like the idea :) However, we have decided to pin point focus this mod on only adding animals and plants to the biomes. So, weapons will not make it into this mod.

kcirdor

For the elephant event, are they going to spawn in the wild, or only show up in small groups when an "beaver" event occurs?  The quirk about this is, beavers are natural prey for the big cats.  I've played a bit with the medieval times + the medieval edition mods.  The medieval edition mod being placed after this mod, brought the Beaver event back.  I've just allowed the beavers to run free on my extra large map, and while they do clear out a nice sized section of the map, they are eventually killed off by the cats.   As for the elephants, if they come in a huge pack like the beavers they can pretty much dominate the map for the trees as they are much more difficult to take down. The cats don't mess with them. I guess my concern is if they will end up being over powered or not.

kaptain_kavern

It's not an event "a la" manhunter or alphabeaver.

It's just that "normal elephants" will now eat trees alongside other plants. Depending on food availability and plants nutrition value like any other plants.

Regarding the last 1.3 feature list, it's mostly because else we will have very long time between release and got you folks bored to wait  ;)

I very much prefer "rushing" the making of, say 3 biomes (animal and plants) and only after that "coming back" on what is released for make it better

Barely related : gillsminnow is in his 2nd "season" of a LP with our mod - Thx to him first - And maybe it could be added in the OP, Coercion, plz?

gillsminnow

Thanks Kav! Looking forward to the update guys!

Coercion

I have added the series to the OP under "related media" :)

sulusdacor

hey like the mod especially the "fighting the plants" part^^ and the texture look super good.

minor balancing thing or maybe i am just super unlucky on my pawns getting hit. but i have some really frequent animal hunting my colonists/pets. since i use the animal hunting alert mod, thats not such a problem and in vanilla this is usally no big deal if you get hit once or twice. but i was to late one time and a tiger one hited my artic wolf, one hitted one colonist and incapacitated another colonist. so yeah, looked at the melee dps and 15 points seems a bit high (thrumbo is 12). same thing with getting one shot by a panda happend to me on another playthrough. so yeah, i understand that the animals should be a danger, but you can not protect yourself against getting one shot by these things.
if you dont have the hunting alert mod showing you that a colonist getting hunted and in danger, he basiclly dies, without you knowing or any chance of even doing something to protect him. which could be somewhat frustrating. so just a heads up, you might want to look over that part. great mod otherwise having fun with it ;)

Mackinz

I don't think my post was noticed, so I would like to ask again.

Quote from: Mackinz on October 11, 2016, 09:32:14 PM
What do the peafowl look like in-game?

kaptain_kavern

Ain't he look badass? geez look at his eyes :p

Coercion

Quote from: gillsminnow on October 20, 2016, 11:05:08 AM
Thanks Kav! Looking forward to the update guys!

I hope you keep this series going. I am enjoying it :)

Coercion

Quote from: sulusdacor on October 20, 2016, 12:27:31 PM
hey like the mod especially the "fighting the plants" part^^ and the texture look super good.

minor balancing thing or maybe i am just super unlucky on my pawns getting hit. but i have some really frequent animal hunting my colonists/pets. since i use the animal hunting alert mod, thats not such a problem and in vanilla this is usally no big deal if you get hit once or twice. but i was to late one time and a tiger one hited my artic wolf, one hitted one colonist and incapacitated another colonist. so yeah, looked at the melee dps and 15 points seems a bit high (thrumbo is 12). same thing with getting one shot by a panda happend to me on another playthrough. so yeah, i understand that the animals should be a danger, but you can not protect yourself against getting one shot by these things.
if you dont have the hunting alert mod showing you that a colonist getting hunted and in danger, he basiclly dies, without you knowing or any chance of even doing something to protect him. which could be somewhat frustrating. so just a heads up, you might want to look over that part. great mod otherwise having fun with it ;)

Thanks for the support :)

I want the animals to be strong (and will be probably increase vanilla values as well for consistency), to better translate to reality. If someone is wandering in the deep rainforest with a knife and gets ambushed by a tiger, he is probably dead (and probably rather quickly), considering tigers are 400lbs of muscle. The core strategy should be avoiding predators or bringing them into a situation where you have the advantage (before they start hunting you). With that said, the values may be adjusted some in the future. We are always open to feedback and suggestions.

Also, feel free to lower the values yourself. Let me know if you need help with it.

Wolf619

panda moves too fast, it moves more than the panther

Coercion

Quote from: Wolf619 on October 21, 2016, 09:20:48 AM

Currently, Pandas use the vanilla MoveSpeed of bears (4.3) which is much slower than panthers. This value may be adjusted in the future.

Feel free to adjust this value yourself though in Defs/ThingDefs_Races/Races_Animal_Bears.xml under MoveSpeed.

Wolf619

Quote from: Coercion on October 21, 2016, 09:45:17 AM
Quote from: Wolf619 on October 21, 2016, 09:20:48 AM

Currently, Pandas use the vanilla MoveSpeed of bears (4.3) which is much slower than panthers. This value may be adjusted in the future.

Feel free to adjust this value yourself though in Defs/ThingDefs_Races/Races_Animal_Bears.xml under MoveSpeed.

Hmm when I was playing my jungle map they seemed the most active maybe its because they stand out more, but I found it a bit distracting. Not really complaining just trying to help out!