help finding the thingdef location for raw meats

Started by hawkwing, March 20, 2014, 11:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkwing

I can't seem to find an xml definition for the various types of meats. Has anyone else been able to find it, and if so, where? I expected to find them under "Raw Foods" inside of resources.xml, but that only has raw plant based foods.

(or maybe they're still just hard-coded for now...)
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

Tynan

They're hardcoded, sort of. Rather, they're generated. The game generates meat defs on startup from each race def. The same way it generates blueprint ad building frame defs from building defs.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

hawkwing

Ah, I see. I'm not really surprised that's the case, not having found it. Someone on the forums here was making alternate textures for the meat food pieces, and I was having a look to see if I could figure out where the assets could be swapped out.

Is there any plan to add the various types of meat to the XML defs, or more fully flesh out the butchery recipe in the future? (for example, muffalo corpse -> muffalo meat x75, large bones x10, small bones x5)

Obviously that sort of recipe would be part of a mod that added bones, and certain... uses for those bones.
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

Tynan

There are no plans for anything, really. I have a list of ideas and I draw from it as I work.

It works the way it does to avoid the need to make special butcher recipes for every single creature type (there will be many). I'm reluctant to change that. If we want bones etc, we should generate those defs as we do the meat, and then make those as products using code the way the meat is made. Unfortunately it's a bit harder to mod but it's a lot more sustainable.

Vilusia

Arg I wish I knew this before I started working on my bone mod.
Is there a way to make it so that I can make a bone resource (Which I've already made) be made by taking a corpse to a table that I've also made?

Check out Bone Mod! Updates almost daily.

Tynan

Quote from: Vilusia on March 26, 2014, 02:45:00 PM
Arg I wish I knew this before I started working on my bone mod.
Is there a way to make it so that I can make a bone resource (Which I've already made) be made by taking a corpse to a table that I've also made?

Just make a recipe that transmutes the corpse into bones. The skin rug mod does a similar thing.

Vilusia

Vilusia

Hmm there seems to be a bug. I made a custom crafting table, before I made it into a custom def I used the same thing Rug mod did and it worked, but since I changed the defname it no longer works. When I place it down I can put the bill for it but my colonist won't do the bill at all.
Any ideas what I did wrong?

Tynan

Make sure your ingredients are within the ingredient search radius. Make sure you have a WorkGiverDef that actually works at the table you created.