One of my mods might be causing tons of incidents to occur

Started by Mackinz, September 20, 2016, 12:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Bucketsmith

The two tiny mods you have from me do not alter anything in regards to colony wealth. Both have no value.
Just putting that out there. :D

Coercion

I suggest that you do a playthrough without mods, and then start adding them slowly. This will allow you to get a good idea of the vanilla game and easily see what each mod does. Of course, you can play however you want.

Facepunch

Heh...reminds me of Randy Random. I've played with most of the mods you have, and I didn't have any issues. Hospitality is one of the ones I didn't try. Have you tried doing a colony without Hospitality?

BlueWinds

Quote from: Master Bucketsmith on September 22, 2016, 06:42:08 AM
The two tiny mods you have from me do not alter anything in regards to colony wealth. Both have no value.

The issue here isn't raid size, it's raid frequency (which colony wealth doesn't affect). Like, 15 raids in 15 days frequency. Pretty sure it's hospitality at this point (especially since the dev has confirmed it does affect event frequency) - I'll verify for myself when I get home tonight.

Mackinz

Quote from: Coercion on September 22, 2016, 06:44:57 AM
I suggest that you do a playthrough without mods, and then start adding them slowly. This will allow you to get a good idea of the vanilla game and easily see what each mod does. Of course, you can play however you want.
I did just that, but instead of adding mods slowly I added a little under half of them at a time, twice. Some I have still not enabled, and I plan on creating another test colony with my current load order.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: BlueWinds on September 22, 2016, 03:17:30 PM
Quote from: Master Bucketsmith on September 22, 2016, 06:42:08 AM

The issue here isn't raid size, it's raid frequency (which colony wealth doesn't affect). Like, 15 raids in 15 days frequency. Pretty sure it's hospitality at this point (especially since the dev has confirmed it does affect event frequency) - I'll verify for myself when I get home tonight.
Really? I thought colony wealth was factored into how often the vanilla three storytellers would send raids to 'balance out' having high wealth.

BlueWinds

Take a look in Mods/Core/Defs/StorytellerDefs/Storytellers.xml:

<StorytellerDef>
    <defName>Cassandra</defName>
      <li Class="StorytellerCompProperties_ThreatCycle">
        <minDaysPassed>5</minDaysPassed>
        <mtbDaysThreatSmall>3.75</mtbDaysThreatSmall>
        <mtbDaysThreatBig>1.25</mtbDaysThreatBig>
        <threatCycleLength>9.2</threatCycleLength>
        <minDaysBetweenThreatBigs>2.1</minDaysBetweenThreatBigs>
      </li>
    </comps>
  </StorytellerDef>
  <StorytellerDef>
    <defName>Phoebe</defName>
        <mtbDaysThreatSmall>8</mtbDaysThreatSmall>
        <threatCycleLength>17</threatCycleLength>
        <minDaysBetweenThreatBigs>12.5</minDaysBetweenThreatBigs>
      </li>

Someone with a better understanding than I would should confirm - but I read this as "After each big threat, Casandra waits 2.1 days (minDaysBetweenThreatBigs), and then waits an average of an additional 1.25 days (mtbDaysThreatBig) before sending the next threat."

Colony wealth + difficulty + some other things are used to determine the size of the threats - how many raiders, mechanoids, manhunter animals, insects - but whether or not an incident occurs is determined by the storyteller + rng only (plus mods, of course).

Facepunch

Quote from: BlueWinds on September 23, 2016, 11:42:13 AM

<StorytellerDef>
      </li>
    </comps>
  </StorytellerDef>
  <StorytellerDef>
      </li>

Someone with a better understanding than I would should confirm - but I read this as "After each big threat, Casandra waits 2.1 days (minDaysBetweenThreatBigs), and then waits an average of an additional 1.25 days (mtbDaysThreatBig) before sending the next threat."

Colony wealth + difficulty + some other things are used to determine the size of the threats - how many raiders, mechanoids, manhunter animals, insects - but whether or not an incident occurs is determined by the storyteller + rng only (plus mods, of course).

Well, looks like you're correct. Learned something new, today.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: BlueWinds on September 23, 2016, 11:42:13 AM

<StorytellerDef>
      </li>
    </comps>
  </StorytellerDef>
  <StorytellerDef>
      </li>

While XML is a good starting point, there might be many mechanics and values 'hidden' in the C# code that are not defined by XML.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I'm careful interpreting XML files as the complete package. :)

If the XML defines all values that define how often a raid should happen then I guess you're right! Thanks for sharing!