How do you handle your videos (compression and such)

Started by British, October 23, 2013, 12:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

British

I have a 33 minutes (66GB) playthrough, made with Afterburner, and I don't really know what to make of it, nor how.

What are you people using to compress your videos and make them available online ?
I don't intend to spend hours on this, so the more straight-forward the better.

What host would you recommend that is *not* YouTube ?

I'm also not interested in editing or doing voice-over (there's already the music that I was listening to when I played, anyway ::)).

Fun fact (that may or may not have an effect at some point in the transformation-chain): it's in 1600x1200 ;D

GC13

Seems like you're recording lossless. That's good.

The settings I use to compress my videos in Handbrake are as follows:
  • Video codec: H.264
  • H.264 Profile / Preset: Auto/Auto
  • Framerate: Constant 30 fps
  • Quality: Constant quality - 20
That gets me about 23 MB/minute on high-quality 1080p video. You can increase the Constant Quality value to reduce file size and quality.

You might want to reconsider your no-voiceover policy, though. Half an hour of video without any sort of running commentary can be kind of boring. You should be able to record your voiceover as you record your video, so it won't take you any longer.

British

Thanks for the tips !

The video is mostly for Tynan, and it can't be boring, since there's my music running all along ;)

GC13

Is that the reason you don't want to use YouTube? Because the video isn't for public consumption? YouTube allows you to set videos either to Unlisted (so only people with the link can find it) and Private (so only specified YouTube accounts may view it) if it's not meant for the public to see.

British

I don't care about it being public, but I care about YouTube being a Google product.
I'm already *not* using Google.com on the same browser I have Gmail, since I don't like being tracked wherever I go.
YouTube is on the same boat.

I've watched my video a bit, and there's nothing sexy in it to appeal for mass audience anyway... on the contrary: there's some alt-tabbing now and then (some rather lengthy), and the cursor isn't shown for some reason (which I don't like in gameplay videos)...

Turbo

Like Dailymotion, you should remember that length of the video files is limited to 2 GB and 60 minutes. Also the upload quality to regular users is limited to 1280*720p?
Whatever happens, happens.

British

Thanks for the details, Turbo.

I might ultimately not bother with this, unless Tynan *really* wants me to...