Floor textures

Started by mrofa, March 20, 2014, 06:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrofa

Awsome thanks.

In example if i would get a standart sand bags and add floor to them would they replace floor or build over it?
Did look thrugh the xml files but some stuff just dont have the altitude.
All i do is clutter all around.

Architect

Quote from: mrofa on March 24, 2014, 07:25:01 AM
Awsome thanks.

In example if i would get a standart sand bags and add floor to them would they replace floor or build over it?
Did look thrugh the xml files but some stuff just dont have the altitude.

The tags are shared :) If it doesn't have an <altitude> tag, you can put it in. It's exactly the same as the <researchPrerequisite> tag in that respect. It wouldn't replace the floor, it would be drawn just over anything on the floor altitude. Most recently created appears on top of anything at the same altitude to it, and anything below it would be under it anyway.
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Zack_Wester

Quote from: mrofa on March 23, 2014, 05:46:08 PM
Ok got it all working and tested on my test colony and thats the result :D
Which is awsome and thats just a randome pattern :D
Size is like itchyflea said 1024x1024 but the square size is actually 64x64 as you can see for the black square frames.
But it seems that a carpet is a diffrent type of floor with diffrent size so this stats only work for metal tiles and likes of it.
Not sure why the floor ico dont show the one square but entire resized texture.

Anyways thanks for help guys!
mrofa just an random thought that hit me when I was thinking of some old N64 games. the carpet Might be an noise map whit an colour value its cheaper then an Texture. (can be talking out of my but here)

The thing was that in the old N64 days putting an texture was expensive so they figure out that if you could for ex an concrete wall to use Gouraud shading I think its sort of colouring of the Polygon model in one colour and well it looked ugly so they added an Tiny Noise map that worked really good at that time it made the walls look Nice.
I think Legend of zelda Ocarina of time used that tecnic on the ground texture (the green grass).

Hope it makes sense.

Evul

Quote from: mrofa on March 23, 2014, 05:46:08 PM
Ok got it all working and tested on my test colony and thats the result :D
<A picture that is cool!>

Which is awsome and thats just a randome pattern :D
Size is like itchyflea said 1024x1024 but the square size is actually 64x64 as you can see for the black square frames.
But it seems that a carpet is a diffrent type of floor with diffrent size so this stats only work for metal tiles and likes of it.
Not sure why the floor ico dont show the one square but entire resized texture.

Anyways thanks for help guys!

That is awesome! :D

mrofa

Quote from: Zack_Wester on April 05, 2014, 03:57:37 PM
mrofa just an random thought that hit me when I was thinking of some old N64 games. the carpet Might be an noise map whit an colour value its cheaper then an Texture. (can be talking out of my but here)

The thing was that in the old N64 days putting an texture was expensive so they figure out that if you could for ex an concrete wall to use Gouraud shading I think its sort of colouring of the Polygon model in one colour and well it looked ugly so they added an Tiny Noise map that worked really good at that time it made the walls look Nice.
I think Legend of zelda Ocarina of time used that tecnic on the ground texture (the green grass).

Hope it makes sense.

I wouldnt be job hunting if i would get money for making textures, so i dont really matter if its cheaper or not, all it matters its fun :D
Besides i dont like adding noise, i did it only in one texture in my mod, rest of it go mainly by hand, its kinda last resort.
And shading is kinda hard to do if you do texture for a rotable object, so in most cases its better do it by hand to, or dont do it at all atleast in my exepriance :D

Making textures for consoles is diffrent especialy in the older days, you need to consider that you have a limited effect pallete, colors and size. Its all becouse the texture for console have to have a fixed size, even now each console game is limited by space, dont remmber correctly but i.e. ps3 game can be up to size of 3-4gb, so they need to fit every game files so game wont take more space than that.

Zack_Wester

mrofa whit expensive I meant that it took an lot of computer power to draw it, painting an object in one colllor is cheaper then any texture work.
bad example an 1K poly model, an 15K Poly model.
let say the 1 K need 300 CPU cycles every fram to get drawn corectly (live) the 15K needs 6000 CPU cycles.
same thing whit textures (paint works) non textured 1K model 301CPU cycles
an 1K model whit an 1024X1024(now what on earth need that number) PNG texture 450 cycles.
I know my numbers are wrong and the fact this dosn´t cover the fact that the N64 was faster working whit polygons then whit textures
(expensive is an computer"lose word of computer" terminology on how mush Computer work is needed to do any set work/calculation.

FangoWolf

I added some stone flooring at 1024x1024, but if I lower the size it changes the scale and my rocks are way too big.  At 1024x1024 the png alone is to big to post to the site.

And by lower the size I mean cut and paste a section into a png @ 128x128 or some such

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

mrofa

Floors paint the whole 1024x1024 in game tile by tile, so by 64x64 grid, but each tile is a part of the image its jsut a giant puzzel :D

Left image is a original, right one got a grid.
Each square is 64x64 size, in grid one its 62x62 size +1 pixel per 2 sides of blue border to match 64x64 size.

In game it will start to draw the image from the bottom left side to top right side square, if you make a square like floor, but it will still be the entire image, when it will draw the whole image it will start to draw it again fomr the start.
Imagine that the map is covered by 9 of such 1024x1024 images, and by placing the floor tile you reveal part of that images.

Unless its not the problem you got and that means my crappy english strikes again ^^

Dale Blaze

Hello, First comment here!

I have made a BLANK tile template that's 1024 x1024, When i place this in game and zoom in and out, it distorts the lines on the map and they start to move unlike the tiles in the game. How can i achieve the same result? Also i'm very interested and eagerly learning modding so i can help the community with Esthetically pleasing mods. :) please respond promptly as i want to learn very quickly

mrofa

Lower ammount of contrast between pixels, unless you want to have a contrast then a bit more sable are 3 pixels wide of the same or similar color with low contrast diffrence. Essentialy if you want to make a black line on the white square it need to be 3 pixels wide to not move to much.
It will still move but not as much and in most cases you wont be able to see it due human eye limitation :D