Please come to gog

Started by godunow, September 22, 2016, 05:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

godunow

Hi!
I love the game but it would be great if you came to Gog! I love to have my game drm-free and all in one place.

Please consider that!

FMK

Had you spent a few minutes searching, you would of probably come across the fact that a DRM free version has existed long since before it came to Steam, and you can still buy it. Just scroll down a bit on that page.

godunow

Yeah, I'm aware of that - but as I mentioned, if possible, I'd love to have all my drm-free games in one place...

Sono

That 'one place' could be your hard-drive.

FMK

Quote from: godunow on September 22, 2016, 07:17:48 AM
Yeah, I'm aware of that - but as I mentioned, if possible, I'd love to have all my drm-free games in one place...
Oh, my bad.

Just assumed you had wanted DRM-free in general, since it seems like a pretty silly thing to care where you get it. Seeing as the only difference (that I can see) is that you have to manually download from somewhere that isn't gog -- which, considering the whole thing of being DRM-free and all, you only ever need to do it once and whenever it updates anyways.

Since if I'm not mistaken, there's a way to launch non-gog games through Galaxy.

delheit

I whole heartedly agree. Not only that but I have emailed ludeon asking about gog and voted on the gog forums for them to try to get rimworld.

In case any one is curious why. It is because although I do like many of the services steam offers they do no let you choose to prevent a game from updating, only to not update until game launch. It use to be a common myth that stop auto update meant it would not update even at launch but they have changed this to actually say do not update until launch.

Yes of course I could buy a drm free version straight from ludeon studios, but gog not only holds a library of games for me that I can redownload when I need to just like steam, they are also have an optional steam like client now. Key word being optional, still drm free and no forced updates.

At the moment I am aware that on steam you can choose in the beta menu to go back to a earlier patch but that is only if a developer allows the option and only after first allowing the update to download and then going into the menu and finding the patch you were on.

It is much easier for me to deal with keeping my save game and using mods on non steam versions and much more reliable. gog simply offers many of the benefits of steam but without losing the benefits of drm free.

I promise you this, if rimworld comes to gog I will buy no less then two more copies and possibly more for me and my family, through gog.com

tldr: I prefer to get all my games through gog now and would love to see rimworld for sale through gog.com and there are many reasons why besides drm free.

DariusWolfe

Every time this topic comes up, there's always several people who seem completely obtuse as to why someone would want to use GOG.

I *don't* use GOG, but I can definitely see the benefits over the current DRM-free option; Those benefits are why I choose to play via the Steam download, even though I have the DRM-free option, and the problems with Steam's version are irritating.

HenrEek

For what is worth, I do made a thorough search about Ludeon being on GOG, before opting to buying directly from Ludeon.

Zahlea

Quote from: Sono on September 22, 2016, 08:21:29 AM
That 'one place' could be your hard-drive.

I, for instance, frequently format my computer. That means my hard drive is not a very good option unless I want even more folders to remember to back up when I format. Having an online library is great for so many reasons I doubt I have to tell them to you and Steam has some sides to it that some users just don't like, sides that GOG Galaxy doesn't have. It's great that you have no problem here, but I fail to see why that should be a reason why those who want it on GOG shouldn't get it. Tynan probably has his reasons, but you not needing it certainly isn't a very strong reason.

Bozobub

Another reason is that GoG is an extremely well-established platform and is highly likely to be around, next time you want to reformat your computer and install everything.  Not so much "SendOwl" ::) .  I realize you'll still have access to the DRM'd version via Steam but I avoid DRM like plague, when I can.
Thanks, belgord!

RemingtonRyder

For backing stuff up, I have a 1TB portable hard drive. I think you should be able to get something like that quite cheaply now.

You can attach it to your home network or directly via USB.

Also, SendOwl (RimWorld's DRM-free download provider) is a relatively painless way of getting the latest stable version of RimWorld. If you need the previous versions of RimWorld then obviously you'd have to back those up, so see above.

Zahlea

Quote from: MarvinKosh on December 27, 2016, 03:23:19 PM
For backing stuff up, I have a 1TB portable hard drive. I think you should be able to get something like that quite cheaply now.

You can attach it to your home network or directly via USB.

Also, SendOwl (RimWorld's DRM-free download provider) is a relatively painless way of getting the latest stable version of RimWorld. If you need the previous versions of RimWorld then obviously you'd have to back those up, so see above.

I do back up things on my USB HDs, my point wasn't how it can't be done, but I must've been unclear on that, I'm sorry. My point was that having to keep backups of games is a pain when it is so easy to add it to an online platform. Since I really don't like DRM and don't want to support Steam (which is more like indefinitely renting the games than buying them), I just argue why GOG is a good choice. Clearly there are many with me who would like that too, as clearly as it is Tynan's choice whether we get that or not.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: delheit on September 25, 2016, 12:29:18 PMIn case any one is curious why. It is because although I do like many of the services steam offers they do no let you choose to prevent a game from updating, only to not update until game launch. It use to be a common myth that stop auto update meant it would not update even at launch but they have changed this to actually say do not update until launch.

Kinda... just dont launch it through the steam overlay and it wont try to update.

Zahlea

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on January 03, 2017, 08:55:05 PM
Kinda... just dont launch it through the steam overlay and it wont try to update.

Really? That works?! Thanks :D Auto updates can be a total pain! It shouldn't be so hard though, but now that it is, it's great to know one can get around it :) Another thing I think GOG does better :P

Pangaea

Yay, it's finally there! :)

The review score is bound to change slightly, and I don't know how many have voted yet, but 5/5 is a pretty decent score  8)