[Resolved] Better way to add animals to biome's spawn lists?

Started by Thirite, September 22, 2016, 07:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirite

I'm making a simple mod to add some more variety to the wildlife of RimWorld. Currently I have a Blackbear, but it seems that the only way to make it spawn in a biome is to completely overwrite that Biome's .xml file from the base game. So, say I loaded up Badger Badger Badger and then my Blackbear- only my blackbear would spawn and no badgers because they both would have to overwrite the Biome's xml.

Seems a bit ridiculous. Is there a better solution or am I SOL?

Thirite

Oh, cool! I'm glad this functionality exists. Cheers mate

Thirite

Huh, now I'm actually getting some trouble with it.

Looks like the syntax must have changed, because when I use the example provided with my bear:

<wildBiomes>
        <li>
          <biome>TemperateForest</biome>
          <animal>Blackbear</animal>
          <commonality>0.2</commonality>
        </li>
      </wildBiomes>

It throws a whole bunch of errors, namely one that says, "There is no biomeDef named 'li'." So it seems to be expecting:

<wildBiomes>
        <TemperateForest>
          <animal>Blackbear</animal>
          <commonality>0.2</commonality>
        </TemperateForest>
      </wildBiomes>

Which gets rid of most of the errors except for these, which I'm not sure what they mean.

Thirite

Okay! Got it working through a lot of guesswork for the new syntax.

Turns out it has to be like this:

<race>
      <wildBiomes>
<TemperateForest>0.02</TemperateForest>
        <BorealForest>0.08</BorealForest>
      </wildBiomes>
</race>

The variables between the biomes is the commonality of appearing in that biome.

RemingtonRyder

Oh yeah. Sorry, I wasn't paying attention and pointed you at an example with the old syntax. Good to see you got it working though! :)

Thirite

Definitely. I've also pm'd some others making animal mods so they can benefit from the compatibility of this feature.

Master Bucketsmith

There already are plenty of mods that add animal variety. :o ::)

Thirite

Please refrain from posting without reading the thread first.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Thirite on September 24, 2016, 07:34:28 PM
I did! I'm just replying in the same way you would on other threads. :(
Why? don't like when it happens?
It doesn't make my earlier post any less true. There are multiple mods that add to the variety of animals. ???
As per what moderators have said, it's not against the rules to voice this, for you, for me, for anyone.
Please don't turn this into a personal crusade, man. There's nothing malicious behind my post.

User has been warned for harassment, further actions will result in a temp-ban.

-Ramsi

hendrikpfaff

Quote from: Master Bucketsmith on September 25, 2016, 05:34:20 AM
Quote from: Thirite on September 24, 2016, 07:34:28 PM
I did! I'm just replying in the same way you would on other threads. :(
Why? don't like when it happens?
It doesn't make my earlier post any less true. There are multiple mods that add to the variety of animals. ???
As per what moderators have said, it's not against the rules to voice this, for you, for me, for anyone.
Please don't turn this into a personal crusade, man. There's nothing malicious behind my post.

User has been warned for harassment, further actions will result in a temp-ban.

-Ramsi

Lol is that called harassment?
Thats just someones opinion and a smartly build reaction.   :P

RemingtonRyder

Criticising a mod before it's been released... not cool, and not helpful. It's fine if you want to make a suggestion, for example:

'Are you planning on including some unique features in your mod to set it apart from similar mods which already exist?'

Just bear in mind that a modder doesn't have to take your suggestion on board.

Also, harassment is often a pattern of behaviour rather than one post taken in isolation, and the moderators take it quite seriously.

Thirite

Quote from: MarvinKosh on September 26, 2016, 12:00:33 PM
Criticising a mod before it's been released... not cool, and not helpful.
MasterBucketsmith was doing this because I have criticized mod ideas as well, and decided to "retaliate". Normally I would have nothing against criticism- I am very open to it and with it; all ideas should be open to criticism. However, MasterBucketsmith was repeatedly replying to my posts under the false assumption that criticism = hostility, and decided that I was a "problem" he took it upon himself to fix. This is why the admins warned him. Not only that, I sent him a PM before this telling him to stop stalking my posts or I would report him. He ignored the warning, ludicrously claiming I was somehow harassing him. He posted again (the one you see which got the warning) and so I contacted the admins.

Edit: Honestly I'm just disappointed this thread got caught up in stupid drama. I'd request an admin move the second half of this thread to off topic of possible, as I had hoped to be able to point other modders in the right direction for the compatibility fix we found.

RemingtonRyder

Okay well, that's between you, him and a moderator.

This subforum is Help, which means help with modding, ironing out bugs with code, that sort of thing. If someone wants to invite opinions on an unfinished mod, there's another subforum for that where they can post a bullet point list of features to be picked apart. General mod suggestions and brainstorming? Go up a level to the Mods board.

Those subforums were around probably long before I got here, and they serve a purpose. Just something to keep in mind. :)

Shinzy

Ima just lock this one for now as the original issue has been resolved