[A17] [WIP] Lightweight Building Polymer - Need Feedback

Started by FrozenSnowFox, May 18, 2017, 12:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrozenSnowFox

For anyone wondering I locked the topic since I no longer need it.  The forum moves a lot slower than I expected.  I rebalanced everything and uploaded it to the workshop here.

Preview Pic

This mod adds a new building resource called Polymer.  It's extremely lightweight, very delicate, cheap to produce and extremely fast to setup once produced.  The idea of this material is to make it easy to setup temporary mining bases or outposts.  Normal materials are extremely heavy and take a fairly long time to build.  With Polymer you can carry all the resources you need for construction and get a base up and operating within a day.  Since its a new resource you can build everything with it walls, floors, chairs, beds, worktables ect.

To make Polymer you need to research it.  You can craft it at a machining table at the cost of 5 steel for 50 polymer.

Right now I'm interested in a bit of feedback.  I'd like to know what people think of the concept, if its balanced and if I even named it properly (Polymer is the right word right?).  When I'm done I'll probably upload it to the steam workshop with the rest of my mods.  This version isn't really intended for playing, until its on my workshop profile I'm going to say there's a chance I might change something that will break saves.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Cabdono

It's white and easy, what's not to like.
But in more seriousness, liking the idea, but maybe not as cheap/easy to make, could be a special machine to synthesize it or something like that, otherwise it'd be a bit too good.

Looking forward to more of this!

FrozenSnowFox

Quote from: Cabdono on May 18, 2017, 04:50:43 PM
It's white and easy, what's not to like.
But in more seriousness, liking the idea, but maybe not as cheap/easy to make, could be a special machine to synthesize it or something like that, otherwise it'd be a bit too good.

Looking forward to more of this!

I think there's already far too many production benches getting added so adding another for just a single item seems a bit much.  Plus other than some initial cost I don't believe it would make it harder to make.

I could double the crafting cost so it becomes 1 steel for 5 polymer which is probably more balanced.  I wouldn't want to increase the cost further than that since it needs to be cheap.  I could also maybe make it instead cost 1 steel and 1 plasteel for 10 polymer which might make more sense and balance the whole thing better.

Currently it takes approximate 1 hour of game time to produce 50 polymer.  Considering a base is going to need about 1000+ I think that's a rather fair amount.  You would need to invest approximately 2-3+ work days of production to get the polymer you need for your expedition.  I could maybe double that though if necessary.  Assuming the player deconstructs their base when done they should get about 75% of the resources back.

I could also increase the amount of research required or its research position.  Although I felt that was in a fairly decent place.

Any thoughts on the above?