[Mod Idea] Work Priority Presets

Started by JSmith9201, September 28, 2016, 09:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSmith9201

I think it would be really helpful to have a mod which saved work priority assignments into named slots e.g. "Default", "Growing Priority", "Extra Mining" etc.

An example: Generally I will spend some time setting up priorities in a detailed way based on everyone's skills so that I have a good balance on all jobs; this would be saved as my "Default" slot. Then I realise I'm low on steel, so I add a few extra people to mining and hauling to get more steel in stock. This could be saved as "Mining". When I'm done with the mining I could just reselect the "Default" profile and it restores the work priorities I had originally set.

I think this would be a good mod as what inevitably happens in my game is I make my "Default" setup, then chop and change as needed and after a few hours I need to redo everyone's priorities again!

What do you guys think? I have no modding experience, but I have some basic python/bash knowledge. Would this be something I could learn to do quite easily?

roper

Yes please!  Should be added to vanilla game.

Mikuyaki

Knowledge is really wonderful. I'm not used to talking this much.

theubie

Quote from: JSmith9201 on September 28, 2016, 09:49:14 AM
I think it would be really helpful to have a mod which saved work priority assignments into named slots e.g. "Default", "Growing Priority", "Extra Mining" etc.

An example: Generally I will spend some time setting up priorities in a detailed way based on everyone's skills so that I have a good balance on all jobs; this would be saved as my "Default" slot. Then I realise I'm low on steel, so I add a few extra people to mining and hauling to get more steel in stock. This could be saved as "Mining". When I'm done with the mining I could just reselect the "Default" profile and it restores the work priorities I had originally set.

I think this would be a good mod as what inevitably happens in my game is I make my "Default" setup, then chop and change as needed and after a few hours I need to redo everyone's priorities again!

What do you guys think? I have no modding experience, but I have some basic python/bash knowledge. Would this be something I could learn to do quite easily?

It actually sounds like something I'd take on (and I'm playing around with ideas in my head of how to quickly implement this without having to gouge out and rewrite a bunch of code code). 

If you have some programing experience, though, you could easily work up to the level it would take to implement this.  I'd suggest looking at mods that implement a new main tab as a start, so that you can familiarise yourself with the mechanics and methods that get called.  Get yourself a good free C# ide/compiler and make a mod that uses that.  From there, you can pick away at the decompiled source code.

Still, this is a great idea and I'm stealing it.  :)