Magic mod request/suggestion

Started by Radis_cale, September 23, 2016, 01:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radis_cale

Hello, there is a mod of another game that I love, it's Thaumcraft from the game Minecraft.
it adds magic, like wands, source of magical energy, melt objects to get magical fluids, machines that use this energy and fluids to enchant and create objects, it adds golem also, they are like robots, but Magic.
There are many other things, like placing injured creatures in a regeneration vat for faster healing, or trapping the souls of dead humans and ressurecting them in another body created for this purpose, or the creation of species, such as chicken that lays golden eggs or cow that gives chocolate, not milk or improving human with magical mutations as photosynthesis skin that reduces the loss of hunger in the sunlight.

Now that I think, it would be difficult to do the same in rimworld, but if someone like the idea and is willing to make a mod like this, it'd be great.
Say what you think about it, I'm curious.

Ps: I am French, sorry if my english is not perfect.

Thirite

There is already a magic mod for Rimworld named RimMagic. You can find it in the releases board. Please look before suggesting a mod, the same things tend to be repeated a hundred times despite already being made/discussed to death.

Radis_cale

Well, you're right, I've never had interest in the mod before you mention it.
It's a cool mod, but I'm not very intrested for now, maybe in future updates.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I do not think there should be only one magic themed mod, especially when my suggestions are not in other mods, at least I've never seen this.
But thank to your reply, I understand that it would be more relevant if i suggested it to the developper of rimmagic.

Thirite

Just bear in mind RimWorld's setting is very "grounded" so stuff like magic and fantasy don't mesh very well at all with the core of the game- so naturally you can expect there not to be many mods covering that.

Radis_cale

So true, i didn't think about that.
Well, i'll try more modern and sci-fi things the next time.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Radis_cale on September 23, 2016, 05:23:45 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I do not think there should be only one magic themed mod, especially when my suggestions are not in other mods, at least I've never seen this.
You're right in that a modding community revolves around creativity! That includes having the option to choose between similar mods that have a similar end result. :)

Quote from: Thirite on September 23, 2016, 06:19:55 PM
Just bear in mind RimWorld's setting is very "grounded" so stuff like magic and fantasy don't mesh very well at all with the core of the game- so naturally you can expect there not to be many mods covering that.
That's absolute nonsense in multiple ways.
- There are a huge amount of games that have a 'tech + magic' setting, going back all the way to pen and paper.
- The very idea behind modifying a game is to alter it, obviously. There's no limits to where that creativity should end.
- It will entirely depend on the implementation of the mod(or multiple thereof) whether or not it is successful in blending magic into the core game. Perhaps the mod also alters the core theme of the game, or done so by a companion mod, where you end up having a medieval fantasy colony builder, instead of the semi-purely sci-fi vanilla experience.
- Most importantly; just because you perceive it as a limiting factor does not mean it is a limiting factor.

Quote from: Radis_cale on September 24, 2016, 03:54:09 AM
So true, i didn't think about that.
Well, i'll try more modern and sci-fi things the next time.
No, man, you keep up with suggesting freely! You'll never know when an idea picks up popularity and/or someone ends up making it. :)
This is part of the core of what keeps a modding community going!

Thirite

> - There are a huge amount of games that have a 'tech + magic' setting, going back all the way to pen and paper.
RimWorld is not one of them. One can expect the majority of mods to be "vanilla friendly", which is observably true in RimWorld. If you want to make another mod that adds magic, power to you, but these are simply the facts.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Thirite on September 24, 2016, 12:20:39 PM
> - There are a huge amount of games that have a 'tech + magic' setting, going back all the way to pen and paper.
RimWorld is not one of them. One can expect the majority of mods to be "vanilla friendly", which is observably true in RimWorld. If you want to make another mod that adds magic, power to you, but these are simply the facts.
LOL no.
My second argument in my previous reply already breaks your argument here.

And before you wanna get really technical; there's no explanation for how some mechanics in-game work. They're purposely kept simple for gameplay sake. In essence, it's some magic mumbojumbo that's making it all work!

Thirite

"Creativity" is not really an argument if no one is creating it. I'm trying to point radis_scale in the right direction to get the content he wants to see in the game.

Radis_cale

I suggest just ideas I like, if someone likes it or is inspired by it, I am happy to have participated in it.
Also, magic and technology are not so different, most magical things can be moved to technology.
Why not a genetic mod with animals that may have different statistics such as the seeds of the mod Seeds please.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Thirite on September 24, 2016, 12:44:03 PM
"Creativity" is not really an argument if no one is creating it. I'm trying to point radis_scale in the right direction to get the content he wants to see in the game.
Quotecreativity
ˌkriːeɪˈtɪvɪti/
noun
the use of imagination or original ideas to create something; inventiveness.
Get the hell outta here with that weak reasoning! ::)
You're obviously not an authority to decide on what "the right direction" is.
(Hint; creativity does not live by rules that compact it.)

IzzyHRC

Clarke's third law
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Considering that in Rimworld lore there is talk about 'transcendent worlds'. Worlds inhabited by people who have become something beyond human and unknowable.
Or before that the 'simple' glitterworlds that house the pinnacle of art, philosophy and science achievable to us. The very limit of knowledge before we stop being 'human'.

Who knows what marvelous horrors and terrifying wonders can be ... stolen from there?

I think 'magic' suits this game just fine.

Thirite

Quote from: Master Bucketsmith on September 24, 2016, 04:51:58 PM
It is becoming increasingly clear that you are not interested in the topic at hand, but rather are simply here to be contradictory.
Quote from: IzzyHRC on September 24, 2016, 06:09:34 PM
In this way I would absolutely agree with you. Thinking of something like BioShock where blatant magic is painted with the scientific "plasmid" brush worked great there. Of course, simply outright calling something "magic" like I said, is pretty opposite to the rest of Rimworld- as is. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying this type of mod should not be made, just stressing that magic mods are few and far between for this very reason.

IzzyHRC

Quote from: Thirite on September 24, 2016, 06:41:45 PM
In this way I would absolutely agree with you. Thinking of something like BioShock where blatant magic is painted with the scientific "plasmid" brush worked great there. Of course, simply outright calling something "magic" like I said, is pretty opposite to the rest of Rimworld- as is. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying this type of mod should not be made, just stressing that magic mods are few and far between for this very reason.

Ever heard of the anime "The Irregular at Magic High School"?
Besides the corny title it does a pretty good job at presenting actual magic as science.
Where, in the not so distant future, we discover that magic is in fact real.
Where witches, wizards and warlocks in the past were just pioneers in an unknown field.
Like Alchemy was to chemistry today.
Something that can be learned (not by all), something that can be quantified.
(The whole thing almost looks like they are 'coding real life'.)

The point of where I'm going is... does it matter what it's called?

To us, a gun is a mechanical contraption capable of firing high velocity metal objects.
To a tribesman, it looks a like a demonic object capable of hurling fire and lightning.

A pure 'magic' mod would work in this game, it just depends how you look at it.

Subjectively speaking, you're right. I'm more scify then fantasy. More wh40k then lotr .
I prefer an explanation like in that anime I mentioned then just the 'cuuuuz magic!" argument.
And a game like this leans more to the scify aspect...
But to each their own, correct? :)

PS:
Reading your comment again makes me realize everything I just typed is redundant. As I agree -__-
(It's 2am here, I blame the lack of sleep)
so.

TL;DR
YES

Master Bucketsmith

It is becoming increasingly clear that you are not interested in the topic at hand, but rather are simply here to be contradictory.
Absolutely wrong. As the thread would paint the picture, it is you who has forcefully thread to steer other people away from creativity.
I've engaged in the thread's topic to show you the 'other side' and you keep responding with "that's just not true", which is a topic killer.
Quote from: IzzyHRC on September 24, 2016, 06:09:34 PM
In this way I would absolutely agree with you. Thinking of something like BioShock where blatant magic is painted with the scientific "plasmid" brush worked great there. Of course, simply outright calling something "magic" like I said, is pretty opposite to the rest of Rimworld- as is.
Well this is surprising!
Oh, you quickly backtrack. A shame.
Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying this type of mod should not be made, just stressing that magic mods are few and far between for this very reason.
You've never been clear on that you don't mind mods being made on topics you disagree with. And as you can guess from the responses you get(mostly mine), the way you wrote your previous posts seem to indicate the opposite of what you tell us now. ;)

Magic has a place in just about any game, if implemented well. How the experience goes for the player depends on their own tastes and expectations as well as the way magic is implemented.