[A15] Beasts of the Rim

Started by Hey my team rules!, September 23, 2016, 04:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey my team rules!

Hey all,

I decided to start working on a mod for RimWorld called Beasts of the Rim. So far the mod adds 15 new wild creatures to the biomes of RimWorld.
Some of the creatures are animal species that I wanted to see included in the game. Others are derived from speculative biology books such as After Man: A Zoology of the Future and the Discovery Channel documentary The Future is Wild. I think that it makes sense story-wise that animals would be put under different selective pressures on the rim and adapt into new forms. So far the new creatures I've added are...

Armadillo:A desert mammal with a leathery armour shell. The armadillo is well-adapted for defense against larger predators.
Penguin: An aquatic, flightless bird native to the coldest climates. Known for their cuteness. They are friendly to humans.
Giant Earthworm: A large worm. Its digestive system runs through the length of its body. Worms reproduce quickly.
Gigantelope: An enormous creature with short legs. These giant herbivores have long abandoned the antelopes running gait and taken on a plodding existence.
Mandrill: Mandrills are colorful, large monkeys of the old world. Large groups of them live in the tropical rainforests.
Megasquid: The megasquid is a large omnivorous terasquid. Heavier than an elephant and almost as tall, a megasquid lumbers through the forest, moving at speeds similar to a human's walking pace.
Neanderthal: Humanity's closest relative. Neanderthals communicate using primitive vocalizations without understanding actual language. They are apex predators, capable of bringing down a wide range of prey.
Rabbuck: Heavily built with rolls of insulating fat, the rabbuck is found in the far north of the continent, in the region of the tundra and coniferous forests.
Toraton: Due to its sheer size, an adult toraton has no predators and no longer has any need for a shell. Small sections of the ancestoral shell do remain, however, forming an external support for the creature's muscles, which its feeble ribs and vertebrae alone cannot carry.
Yippa: A long necked lama-like herbivore. Native to tropical climates. The upper layers of vegetation are exploited by the yippa.
Zarander: The zarander is a large elephant-like suine. Despite its large trunk, it has little sense of smell. It relies on keen hearing to detect predators.
Zebra: A black and white striped herbivore. They are stubborn and have never been truely domesticated.

The mod folder and files are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/afpjmyow2vpxf5i/AACs7oZ_tljJAnDEWfLAvxeua?dl=0
And here it is on the Steam workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=767300413&tscn=1474649613
Let me know of any suggestions or improvements if you come up with any. Thanks!

Moo

Awesome! Any idea if this will work on an existing map?

JournalSnail

What strange creatures. What's those strange looking growths on the bottom of each animal? Some even have them on their chest area.

TOWC

I love mods that add some new fauna, but one(or two) question bothers me.
Does that mod work with "A dog said" surgeries? If not, will there be any compability patches? I'm sure I'm not the only one being obsessed with making a cool army of bionic beasts.

Shinzy

Quote from: JournalSnail on September 23, 2016, 05:36:23 PM
What strange creatures. What's those strange looking growths on the bottom of each animal? Some even have them on their chest area.

*applause*

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: TOWC on September 23, 2016, 06:01:27 PM
I love mods that add some new fauna, but one(or two) question bothers me.
Does that mod work with "A dog said" surgeries? If not, will there be any compability patches? I'm sure I'm not the only one being obsessed with making a cool army of bionic beasts.

For this you'll want to add animals defName in each surgeries code after <recipeUsers> in ADogSaid/Defs/RecipeDefs/Recipes_Surgery.xml

Either yourself directly in files or for OP to make a patch (feel free to contact us on the mod thread BTW)  8)

SpaceDorf

Hate to be this guy, but you got a typo :

Neanderthal: Humanity's closest relative.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the positive not :

YEAH more weird shit for the rim. this goes into my collection.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

zmadz

Been wondering would it be possible to make Neanderthal able to mine/plant cut, after fully trained.