(request) Compatibility mod

Started by 123nick, March 21, 2014, 05:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123nick

Hello! im new too these forums, but i have a request: i play with many mods, and i notice that, when i play with wood economy and industrial rim, both mods add wood, and i think they may be overwriting eachother. (i dont think the wood economy table saw is popping up in furniture anymore, maybe replaced by the industrial rim wood cutting table?) thanks in advance. this game is awesome.

edit: i found more incompatibilities: animal rugs, cant make animal rugs (option to skin animals is no longer there) and i cant make thoughrock concrete. i think ill just remove industrial rim

Cala13er

Yeah unfortunately. It's either my Industrial Rim Mod or wood economy. Otherwise we get overriding. And that messes the references up.

123nick

Quote from: Cala13er on March 21, 2014, 05:16:14 PM
Yeah unfortunately. It's either my Industrial Rim Mod or wood economy. Otherwise we get overriding. And that messes the references up.

its ok, but ill think ill just remove industrial rim. its a great mod, but untill i added industrial rim, i didnt have any overwrites.

Cala13er

Yeah I think there are a lot of mods incompatible with my Industrial RIM right now. But that's because my Mod is a basically something like a standalone mod.

I recommend just removing my mod until Alpha 3, then see if you want to re-use Industrial RIM.

Industrial RIM BETA V0.1.0.0 will be the first version of Industrial RIM for Alpha 3 and I tell you. It adds a ton of stuff!

jamieg

until Alpha 3 maybe i can help ive compile a mod pack that contains 15 mods that are all fully compatable with each other and some of the industrialrim stuff is there too like wind turbines large batteries ect. cala13er if there is a need for me to make more modpacks when alpha 3 is released i really want to use yours if ya dont mind, i pressume not with all the rimworld mods being free for all. the only reason its not in my Alpha 2 pack is because of it being more a solo mod atm like you said, but great job so far cant wait to see the alpha 3 release anyway heres the link to the modpack if you want to take a look http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2784.0
YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg

Sunspots

A possible solution to this would perhaps be if both of the mods were divided into modules...

In order for this to work well right now we need to find a modular structure for all our mods and somehow make sure things don't overlap.

The other option that I see is either integrated handling of resource/item registration that can handle something like "if no wood exists, add wood".
This could possibly be done with a third-party mod manager that parses mods and compiles it's own definitions...

Another thing I'm thinking about is how to allow different mods to use duplicate/overlapping resources (IR-wood or WI-wood) interchangeably could be by putting them in one category and having category filters for construction, instead of one single item ID.

EDIT: I made a thread about some of these issues earlier: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2346

ThingCategory defs are currently defined for all of the mods, I'm gonna look at what we can do here.

EDIT2: We really need to be able to handle ThingCategories somehow from inside the mods! This would open up a lot in the realm of using filters to use resources from different mods.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Sunspots on April 03, 2014, 07:59:12 AM
The other option that I see is either integrated handling of resource/item registration that can handle something like "if no wood exists, add wood".
I think if this handling is going to be available, it should be done in the morning hours of each day. Because, well, that's really the time of day where you'd...get wood  8)
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

ItchyFlea

The incompatibility between Industrial RIM and Wood Economy is that we both have the same definition names for several wood items, which isn't really a surprise. I mean, wood is wood, what else are you going to call it? :)

The main problem is how RimWorld handled these issues. Basically the order in which mods are activated determines which mods changes take precedence. (Although I suspect this is going to be addressed in future builds of the game.)

However, as Cala13er has said, Industrial RIM is meant to be stand alone. The same is true for Wood Economy. I didn't design Wood Economy with mod compatibility in mind, and with the changes I've been making to RimWorld's core items, compatibility is going to be difficult to accomplish. Even more so in Alpha 3 at this stage...

So I'm going to pop on over to the thread Sunspots has made. Maybe we can all work together to create something that solves these incompatibilities. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Architect

Quote from: ItchyFlea on April 04, 2014, 02:20:35 AM
The incompatibility between Industrial RIM and Wood Economy is that we both have the same definition names for several wood items, which isn't really a surprise. I mean, wood is wood, what else are you going to call it? :)

The main problem is how RimWorld handled these issues. Basically the order in which mods are activated determines which mods changes take precedence. (Although I suspect this is going to be addressed in future builds of the game.)

However, as Cala13er has said, Industrial RIM is meant to be stand alone. The same is true for Wood Economy. I didn't design Wood Economy with mod compatibility in mind, and with the changes I've been making to RimWorld's core items, compatibility is going to be difficult to accomplish. Even more so in Alpha 3 at this stage...

So I'm going to pop on over to the thread Sunspots has made. Maybe we can all work together to create something that solves these incompatibilities. :)

Well hey, wood economy works just dandy with BetterPower+ :P We even have some cross compatibility going on with the coal, which I fully intend to extend on with you over the course of the next two weeks :P
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.