Parental control mode?

Started by KnobDoctor, September 24, 2016, 01:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnobDoctor

Hi, bought the game a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it!

But my eight-year-old daughter keeps stopping by the watch me play, and makes comments about "I wish I could play that game."

I'd be inclined to let her play it, unfortunately I don't want to have to explain to her what a 'sex slave' is.

If we had a way to remove references to sex, the game would be a lot more-child friendly.  Make it a setting in an ini file or something easy to change, but that a kid isn't likely to think about.

Serenity

What about the organ harvesting and cannibalism?

TomatoWalrus

Well you have to explain sex slave sometime ;D
Murphys law:
If something can go wrong, it will go wrong.
RimWorld can be an ass sometimes

Dingo

Sex, drugs, organ harvesting, violence, pyromaniacs... I guess there could be a mod to make RimWorld into more of a farming simulator, if there isn't one already. That would be cool for children.

Ramsis

Ooof, and here I am playing games like GTA and State of Emergency at the age of 7ish.

Can't imagine there will ever be a safe for kids version of RimWorld without it just being a mod overhaul.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

asanbr

As far as I understand, most of the game data is in xml files that you can edit. For sex slave specifically, or any word containing "sex", it should be possible in a few seconds to make a global search and replace on the game files to replace/remove offending words.

Since there's no graphical sex in the game, this might get you far enough.

Then you have the game mechanics of cannibalism etc, which will be harder to remove if you care about them. But maybe that's not a problem for you.

KnobDoctor

You get a pretty significant debuff if you commit cannibalism, which I think is a pretty good lesson for kids.

Also if they go to school and say "I played a game with a cannibal!" they (and I) are less likely to get in trouble than if they say "I played a game with a sex slave!"

O Negative

As Ramsis mentioned, it would more than likely require a mod overhaul. I doubt Tynan plans on making any kind of "parental control mode"

Sometimes, you just have to tell your kids "Maybe when you're older." when you're uncomfortable with a certain part of a game. I had plenty of friends who weren't allowed to play GTA: Vice City, because their parents didn't want them exposed to the violence or sexually suggestive stuff. They lived.

I just had a (subjectively) better childhood, because I got to play all the fun games ;D

[I'm just hoping this thread doesn't devolve into a political squabble :P ]

MikeLemmer

How will she react when her animals start miscarrying due to starvation? Or when she has to slaughter all of her baby rabbits because the colony is running out of food?

KnobDoctor

Quote from: MikeLemmer on September 24, 2016, 07:12:11 PM
How will she react when her animals start miscarrying due to starvation? Or when she has to slaughter all of her baby rabbits because the colony is running out of food?

Heh.  She probably just won't want to play it anymore.

I liked the idea of just removing it from the XML file.  I bought the game through the website, not Steam, so I don't have to worry about it updating automatically.  Thanks.

ruddthree

Is that possible? If so, wouldn't it be game-breaking? I'm not familiar with XML files, but it should at least mess up some mechanics, right?

DariusWolfe

So far as I know, it is no simple task to add to or remove backstories. It used to be, but it's not anymore; Now, it takes Backstories Core (which probably isn't up to date with anything lately) or CCL, which incorporated Backstories Core. Also, unless I've read it incorrectly, there's no easy way to remove existing Backstories from NPCs, even using the Backstories Core functionality. I've done some research because I truly hate some of the Name-in-Game options, and others I want to edit to be gender-neutral, or to simply make sense (some of them are really just dumb). Additionally, there aren't nearly enough of them; I really wish I didn't see the same names crop up on every campaign.

SpaceDorf

Download the Hair and Clothing Mods.
Pretty Hair and Clothes are far more important than reading backstories. At least for my two girls.
On the other hand, they allready know where the little piggies and babies come from.
And slavery and violence are a huge part of human history. And knowing that humanity is fucked up gives them a headstart when the finally start out on the interwebs and you have to explain to them, why they should not upload or say some stuff online.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

LouisTBR

I love how you are complaining about parental concerns, but your name is 'Knobdoctor'
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Lightzy

I was thinking you'd be asking for like a mind control device pawns can use to control their children in the game, so they join the colony or something. Like if the child is in another faction and raiding you or I dunno what.
"initiating parental control mode"