User uploaded colony ruins for use as "re-colonize" maps starting points?

Started by asanbr, September 24, 2016, 02:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asanbr

The idea of "take over this abandoned colony" has appeared a few times on the forum.

I like the idea too. Sometimes after a game end when I was raided to death, I wait until a wanderer joins and then I start over in the ruins of my previous colony.

I think that it would be difficult to procedurally generate interesting colony ruins (let me know if I'm wrong), so the idea I just got was that people could upload savegames somewhere which could be auto-processed and after some manual acceptance process, these maps with ruins could be used as a database of game starting maps, just renew the resources and let someone crash land on a map with remains from an old colony.

You could quickly get a few thousand ruins this way if people joined along, and I think this would make for another fun scenario / game variation.

Barazen

I would be more then willing to build up some templates if there was a framework to upload to.
I think there was a mod that built some ruins for you to run about in too... but I haven't played with mods yet so i don't recall the name or if it works as I've just said.
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

ruddthree

I like the idea, but I think it would be a good idea to have every item deleted from it, so people can't exploit from it, giving newer colonies OP stuff i.e. charge rifles, power armor, etc.

nccvoyager

Harold3456

I like this.

Personally, I enjoy fast forwarding my dead colony about 3 months or so, and then going into developer mode and spawning 3 new colonists. There's something haunting about new colonists in a place that has so much history (and, in many cases, still has the rotting corpses of your people).

I disagree with ruddthree about items getting deleted. If colonies DO get uploaded, I hope that they get TOTALLY uploaded - corpses, bloodstains, item caches and all. Who cares if the player gets a bunch of free stuff? It's not like this game is played multiplayer/competitively. In fact, for some players the free "startup" of leftover items will allow them to skip the tedious start.

mumblemumble

Very cool idea!

Pretty much take any colony, put it through a few fires, a couple dozen raids to steal things, animals eating the food, and give you the walls / furniture left that hasn't been degraded. Perhaps a few junk items and supplies left inside it, raw materials or even undesirable weapons, and even a few electronics perhaps if lucky, like a dusty, banged up comms console with a broken component or something

I would certainly give ice sheet a try this way (I normally dont even try)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

ruddthree

Quote from: Harold3456 on October 01, 2016, 09:06:36 PM
In fact, for some players the free "startup" of leftover items will allow them to skip the tedious start.

I didn't think of that. I suppose that could be useful.

BetaSpectre

A database of user uploads would be interesting, think steam could support this.

Though personally I'd just make the ruins myself using the dev tool.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO