A15 Trader/Money Questions

Started by JuicyPVP, September 27, 2016, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuicyPVP

1. I am in dire need of components. I have about 2k silver. Which trader should I summon? I had a bulk goods guy come, but he only had 3.

2. Should I sell my 3k corn/2k potatoes as is, or should I make it into simple meals?

3. What other products than corn/potatoes should I be growing to make money? (9 colonists. Summer of year 2. Not enough power for Hydroponics atm- See #1).

carbon

1) Bulk and exotic outlanders (not tribals) usually have 10 - 20 components on them. Obviously, it's possible they may only bring in a few. RNG is like that.

2) Fresh corn or rice goes for something like 5 silver for 10, right? That's assuming it hasn't been rained on and/or degrading outside for a few days.

Turning that into a simple meal will bump that up about 10 silver for 10 corn/rice (1 meal) if you bring in an exotic outlander. Others will usually only give about 5 or 6. But that can still be worthwhile if the raw stuff is heavily degraded.

Turning it into pemmican will bump it all the way to about 20 silver for 10 raw food (18 pemmican), if you call in a bulk outlander (some tribals will also go for it, not sure which ones), but half of the raw stuff needs to be meat, so not what you want if you only have vegetables. Also, non-bulk outlanders generally won't take it at all.

Also note, if you haven't figured it out yet, getting your relation status with a faction up to about 40 or above will reduce the call price to 300 silver. Well worth it, if you plan to call them repeatedly.

3) Flake pretty much always sells, not the most profitable, but it's easy to store in large quantities and everyone takes it (I think). Just wall off your supply if someone decides to try binging on it.

JuicyPVP

Accidentally "captured" instead of "rescued" a trader. If I release him will it reverse the negative goodwill? There was a warg attack and I was trying to save the guys that were downed.

carbon

Releasing a captured prisoner is typically a +15 relationship boost if they make it off the map in one piece.

That will help the hurt relations, but I'm guessing you will have to do more than that (likely offer silver or release more prisoners after their next subsequent raid) to get back on their good side.

JuicyPVP

If they are -80 and wont answer the phone, what do you suggest? They are my outlander city and have the best trade stuffs, so I need to get them back to positive. lol. Will "Rescuing" give me more than a +15? They usually attack 1x a season, which is fine, I usually wipe them out quickly with 1-3 of theirs "downed". I don't really care about the raids- I just want another trade partner.

carbon

If they are your enemy now, I don't believe they even give you the option to rescue. You'll just have to keep capturing and releasing the their downed pawns until they will talk to you again.

JuicyPVP

Okay. Is there a way to down them without killing them or jeopardizing my own pawns safety? If not that's cool. And thanks for the help.

carbon

I was under the impression that blunt weapons in melee were good for downing, but I don't actually have firsthand experience in the matter to say for sure.

Perhaps someone else knows good downing techniques?

stu89pid

Quote from: JuicyPVP on September 30, 2016, 09:44:16 AM
If they are -80 and wont answer the phone, what do you suggest? They are my outlander city and have the best trade stuffs, so I need to get them back to positive. lol. Will "Rescuing" give me more than a +15? They usually attack 1x a season, which is fine, I usually wipe them out quickly with 1-3 of theirs "downed". I don't really care about the raids- I just want another trade partner.

Whoa what happened here? I've never gotten a land trader pack from a faction at -80. Did you kill them all off? If that's the case, you might not be able to repair that relationship.

carbon

stu89pid

Quote from: carbon on September 30, 2016, 03:52:41 PM
^
Incapable of
Reading

:(

Do you get traders from factions that have -80 against you? I see the warg attack, but that still doesn't add up.

JuicyPVP

Quote from: stu89pid on September 30, 2016, 04:06:22 PM
^
Incapable of
Reading

Do you get traders from factions that have -80 against you? I see the warg attack, but that still doesn't add up.

How not? First play through. 10 wargs attacking us. I was in a rush and mis-clicked. didn't realize it till the save was overwritten. I wouldn't change it though. Them seiging me gave me the missing components I needed... lmao. I might just do the more frequent orbital traders mod anyways. IDK. Been trying to play vanilla for at least my first 3 plays (1 Cassandra classic colony, one randy outlanders, and 1 randy colony is what I want to do before mods).

Zhentar

Quote from: JuicyPVP on September 30, 2016, 09:44:16 AM

They'll start answering the phone at -70, so you only need a single release to be able to bribe your way to friendship.

Quote from: carbon on September 30, 2016, 01:57:04 PM
I was under the impression that blunt weapons in melee were good for downing, but I don't actually have firsthand experience in the matter to say for sure.

Perhaps someone else knows good downing techniques?

Low damage attacks (pistol, club, or shiv) have the best chance of downing without killing (or maiming), since the total damage will get averaged out over more body parts and is less likely to destroy any single one. Burn damage is the best for sending pawns into shock from pain, but doesn't really make for a reliable downing given the whole fire thing.

stu89pid

Quote from: JuicyPVP on September 30, 2016, 04:18:41 PM
Quote from: stu89pid on September 30, 2016, 04:06:22 PM
^
Incapable of
Reading

How not? First play through. 10 wargs attacking us. I was in a rush and mis-clicked. didn't realize it till the save was overwritten. I wouldn't change it though. Them seiging me gave me the missing components I needed... lmao. I might just do the more frequent orbital traders mod anyways. IDK. Been trying to play vanilla for at least my first 3 plays (1 Cassandra classic colony, one randy outlanders, and 1 randy colony is what I want to do before mods).

So it sounds like you accidentally attacked the traders? It makes sense then, you were probably friendly when the traders showed up, the wargs unfortunately attack at the same time, accidentally shoot one of the traders leads to a massacre and I now understand how you ended up at -80.

I thought you were describing traders that showed up from a faction you already had at -80 relationship with.

WhyBorne

I've learned to buy nearly EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT from EVERY trader that is sent my way. After a couple years of game play I will stop using components for new things if my count gets down to 20 or 25, because stuff will break and get blown up. You don't want to have zero components when your solar panel breaks. As long as trade is decent, you should have no problem building a good stockpile of components to use for weapons and power armor.