[TOOL] RimTranslate - tool for translation of game and mods

Started by winterheart, September 28, 2016, 04:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winterheart

Hello everyone!

I created tool RimTranslate that significantly ease translation workflow - https://github.com/winterheart/RimTranslate.

As with the translation of any text or programs in the process of translation RimWorld inevitably run the risk of obsolescence of translated data. It may come out a new version in which new messages appear or change old ones. In such cases it is difficult to track changes and make corrections. With time and the growth of translated data, the complexity will only increase. In addition to this, the translator usually is not can see at once original and translation - they are stored in different files, and to compare them, you may need a lot of time.
To simplify this process, commonly used practice is to use intermediate format, which provides translation relevance and combines both the original and translated messages. RimTranslate uses open format Gettext, widely used by opensource projects. This format is supported by a number of specialized programs for translators, such as poedit (Linux, OS X, Windows) or lokalize (Linux).
Through this approach, the translator does not have to manually keep track of changes after the upgrade program, it is enough to update the translation files PO. Changes, if any, will be immediately visible. After the translation of the update is enough to run RimTransalate again, and XML-files will be updated automatically. It's simple!

Currently tool supports only Def -> DefInj conversion, but I'm planning implement support for Keyed XML files.

If you have any questions or suggestions (or even patches!), I will be happy to answer to them.

squid-box

Having just started taking a look at the Swedish translation (which appears to be in severe disrepair), this sounds like a very good initiative. I'm a bit too tired to evaluate how useful it would be for me, but I'll check it out when I have some time over!

winterheart

Hello.

Now RimTranslate have feature to import old DefInj XML-files, that was created manually prevously. Just add "-c <DIR_WITH_DEFINJ>" and generated PO-files will import them for reusing.

winterheart

Quote from: squid-box on September 28, 2016, 05:21:05 PM
Having just started taking a look at the Swedish translation (which appears to be in severe disrepair), this sounds like a very good initiative. I'm a bit too tired to evaluate how useful it would be for me, but I'll check it out when I have some time over!

I checked Swedish translation from A15. Here serious errors in XMLs in Swedish/DefInjected/HediffDef. But, from my perspective, translation  in good shape - only 327 messages untranslated left (4480 total).

squid-box

Quote from: winterheart on October 06, 2016, 03:10:56 PM
I checked Swedish translation from A15. Here serious errors in XMLs in Swedish/DefInjected/HediffDef. But, from my perspective, translation  in good shape - only 327 messages untranslated left (4480 total).

(The HediffDef-problems have been fixed in the GitHub repo now, but very unfortunate that made it into a release  :()

When I started looking at them they had mainly been touched in mid-2014, with some small attempts at translating them after that. Using https://github.com/Sakuukuli/RimWorld-Templates I updated from A13 (which Sakuukuli had updated to in May) to A15 and got a lot of new texts that were simply missing from the Swedish folder. That tool listed "Found 4620 untranslated tags and 396 obsolete tags." I have no concept of which tool is more accurate though, but from looking through the files 327 untranslated messages sounds very small. The current Swedish translation is also missing the entire "Strings" folder.

And sorry, I haven't had time to actually try your tool, hence the disclaimer about accuracy...

winterheart

Quote from: squid-box on October 06, 2016, 04:11:33 PM
When I started looking at them they had mainly been touched in mid-2014, with some small attempts at translating them after that. Using https://github.com/Sakuukuli/RimWorld-Templates I updated from A13 (which Sakuukuli had updated to in May) to A15 and got a lot of new texts that were simply missing from the Swedish folder. That tool listed "Found 4620 untranslated tags and 396 obsolete tags." I have no concept of which tool is more accurate though, but from looking through the files 327 untranslated messages sounds very small. The current Swedish translation is also missing the entire "Strings" folder.

And sorry, I haven't had time to actually try your tool, hence the disclaimer about accuracy...

Well, RimTranslate was not counting Keyed folder, so here my estimations 327/4480. Now, since it at last supports Keyed folder (since version 0.6.5), here more accurate stats for A15: 974 untranslated, 6209 total.