Why rimworld gets boring and sucks later on.

Started by neobikes, September 28, 2016, 06:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neobikes

I am rather disappointed by this game. Rimworld... hmm let me tell you: When u get game u start colony u are charmed by music and unique climate. U play, lets say 2 days, and then u start again this time you think u know what to do :)

So u trying to get some answers and u jump on ludeon forums and reddit (rimwiki is enigmatic and out of date) and read about stuff.

And this is the moment when u probably meet some first frustration about lacks of some basic necessity in this game. So you install MODS.

And shit starts...

U start again new colony with mods, you test it but still the more you play the more you think that this is never ending STORE and hauling micromanagement game.

Ok some points: - pathfinding - it simply does not exist i would say. Try playing some jungle and get pain in the ass watching colonists walking marshes and grasses instead of newly build wooden road for them. Watch colonists walking on chunks instead of avoiding them. Watch colonists harvesting hydrophonic tiles and jumping everystep to nonhydroponic tile just to reenter that tile again... ahhh

Stupid lack of basic orders: - u cannot forbid colonists from eating certain type of food. They will eat human meat or corpses and you cannot stop that.

There is no "hold fire" button. something so basic that when i think of it it makes me puke on tytan's face so my puke goes into his nostrils. HOW THE FUCK after 2 years of constant development and kickstarter money and such support on forum there is no "HOLD FIRE" button? Or why i can't tell my colonists pls shoot everything that moves but avoid shooting at THIS and THIS enemy creatures. Instead i need to press SPACE every shoot every colonist make and to change target ----- ROFLMAOOOOOOO this SUCKSSSSS

Or why there is no "no walk tiles" option ? imagine you want colonists to prevent from walking on certain tile. You must dive into hell of zone managing then set it to every colonists (oh my god) then cancel their current order and then redone it after danger disappear. that's just ...(shits on Tynan's left ear so much, it clogs up).

New version is very often like every month or so. and you cannot play with your current savegame - you must start from beginning.....

ok so you got mods. but guess what with mods it can be fun, but bugs will kill you. or after some time lets say you do not want some kind of mod, guess what - u cannot simply disable some mods without starting new game ..... or mods cannot work with each other - good luck finding about that longer ingame or even finding out what mod cause problem.

In the past there were some mods that were brilliant like EDB interface ETC or EDB Icon or Fluffy Work Tab.
WHY that jerk Tytan didn't took that code into game????????? he had GOLDEN EGG right next to his feet and just ignored that. Btw that copy paste shit on RESTRICT - it makes me hold my vomit until Tynan is close enough so i spread vertically my internal fluids mixed with simple meal all over him

... Not to mention Achtung mod. without it battles are just ugly. Now rimworld battles are like using Microshit Paint program to pixel by pixel draw a picture of a boy puking on that game instead of just drawing a line straight on.

i mean if you want to play for some short time - rimworld is ok. unique climate etc. but longer games are just frustrating.

my 2 cents.

If you do not believe me - play this game for 2-3 weeks  and comeback and tell me where i am wrong, and tell where i am wrong:)
writing: "you are wrong - wow that was easy" does not count

But if you are a kind of players who plays onehanded while holding sandwich in other hand and just play to die relaxed - go on, rimworld is fun for short games

I am not trolling - i am 0% mood and i got mental state (Berserk) on.

res34

iceteazz

_ Read till the line : "So you install MODS."

_ That's the basic problem that make you boring. Because the vanilla game was designed for a specific purpose and well balanced in a way make the game Hard, so if you got some mods installed, there are pretty much no more balanced, even the most tiny QoL mods make the game easier, more QoL, more comfortable you have, more boring you feel. Some mods even so imbalanced, overpower enough that you never care to use original items again, and you have to add some more mods that make game Harder, and again the cycle of boring, mods that make the game easier let you feel boring and you install some mods make the game harder, when  you feel so hard, you need more QoL mods, items to deal with the difficulty of the game, then you back to some more mods etc.

_ And many mods will add more feature in the game, and make it more complicated, rather than more fun. That's why i'm back to play RimWorld with minimal mods installed. I use some, for sure, but not much, i don't even use EPOE or Hospitality anymore. Vanilla game + Randy Extreme + permadeath = more fun than i expected.

Scalare

the game isn't designed to be hard. you just have to micromanage a lot to accomplish anything in the game.
And since the game is really badly designed for micromanagement, it could give you the impression that it's designed to be hard, while it basically comes down to bad UI design. If the AI behavior was a bit more logical and the UI was designed in such a way that it's easy to dictate priorities for the entire colony or for colonists themselves, the game would be much easier.

iceteazz

Quote from: Scalare on September 28, 2016, 07:22:35 AM
the game isn't designed to be hard. you just have to micromanage a lot to accomplish anything in the game.
And since the game is really badly designed for micromanagement, it could give you the impression that it's designed to be hard, while it basically comes down to bad UI design. If the AI behavior was a bit more logical and the UI was designed in such a way that it's easy to dictate priorities for the entire colony or for colonists themselves, the game would be much easier.

_ It's not true, at least my case, since i don't usually micro my pawns. May be, may be because i'm using Haulpriority mod ( still work in alpha 15 ) then i don't see i have to micro them to do their job frequently, except only when fighting.

res34

Wait, were we supposed to give a detailed rebuttal? I thought that he just wanted us to tell him he was wrong if we'd played for 2-3+ weeks. OK, here's my two cents then:

The fact that you appear to be just leaving human corpses laying around would by your fault. You should either haul them to an out of sight stockpile, bury them in a grave, or burn them. The only reason you're colonists would even attempt to eat them is if you're not very good at prioritizing gathering and cooking food. Starvation will force them to do this.

Also why are you butchering human corpses? That's essentially the only way to acquire human meat in an unmodded game.

Scalare

Quote from: iceteazz on September 28, 2016, 07:30:36 AM
Quote from: Scalare on September 28, 2016, 07:22:35 AM

_ It's not true, at least my case, since i don't usually micro my pawns. May be, may be because i'm using Haulpriority mod ( still work in alpha 15 ) then i don't see i have to micro them to do their job frequently, except only when fighting.

I don't want to use mods to play a game properly. Rimworld is supposed to be a random story generator and for the story to be any good the colonists have to behave realistically in a survival scenario without me having to micromanage the shit out of them. When you crashland on a planet you don't complain about the rooms being too dirty and if you do instead you clean them without me having to micromanage a dedicated cleaner or hauler to  bury corpses.

Scalare

Quote from: res34 on September 28, 2016, 07:32:11 AM
Wait, were we supposed to give a detailed rebuttal? I thought that he just wanted us to tell him he was wrong if we'd played for 2-3+ weeks. OK, here's my two cents then:

The fact that you appear to be just leaving human corpses laying around would by your fault. You should either haul them to an out of sight stockpile, bury them in a grave, or burn them. The only reason you're colonists would even attempt to eat them is if you're not very good at prioritizing gathering and cooking food.

The game isn't very good at that either with automatic prioritizing of tasks. You would expect if people go hungry that they slaughter more animals, cook and grow more food and if the rooms are getting too dirty that they would clean more, as can be expected from a story generator. But sadly you have to manage the shit out of everything to make colonists not behave like kim kardashian ;).

neobikes

Quote from: res34 on September 28, 2016, 07:32:11 AM

The fact that you appear to be just leaving human corpses laying around would by your fault. You should either haul them to an out of sight stockpile, bury them in a grave, or burn them. The only reason you're colonists would even attempt to eat them is if you're not very good at prioritizing gathering and cooking food. Starvation will force them to do this.

Also why are you butchering human corpses? That's essentially the only way to acquire human meat in an unmodded game.

When you go to restaurant do you get MENU and pick or you just eat trashes in back of kitchen, because you can't wait for something you should eat?

neobikes

Quote from: iceteazz on September 28, 2016, 06:58:12 AM

_ That's the basic problem that make you boring. Because the vanilla game was designed for a specific purpose and well balanced in a way make the game Hard, so if you got some mods installed, there are pretty much no more balanced, even the most tiny QoL mods make the game easier, more QoL, more comfortable you have, more boring you feel. Some mods even so imbalanced, overpower enough that you never care to use original items again, and you have to add some more mods that make game Harder, and again the cycle of boring, mods that make the game easier let you feel boring and you install some mods make the game harder, when  you feel so hard, you need more QoL mods, items to deal with the difficulty of the game, then you back to some more mods etc.

_ And many mods will add more feature in the game, and make it more complicated, rather than more fun. That's why i'm back to play RimWorld with minimal mods installed. I use some, for sure, but not much, i don't even use EPOE or Hospitality anymore. Vanilla game + Randy Extreme + permadeath = more fun than i expected.

Please post your picture your colony reach 500k on challenge or extreme and say it again - i want to see your "not so bored" face :) ... or maybe your a sandwich player

delheit

This game is designed to be a simulation of watching self destructive retards in an old folks home try to slowly kill themselves and its your job as the nurse to manage their second by second existence and keep them alive and give them their meds.

Jarwy

iceteazz

Quote from: neobikes on September 28, 2016, 08:13:03 AM
Quote from: iceteazz on September 28, 2016, 06:58:12 AM

Please post your picture your colony reach 500k on challenge or extreme and say it again - i want to see your "not so bored" face :) ... or maybe your a sandwich player

_ I launched a ship from Desert map, -20 to +30 C, one man cast away ( start with nothing ) Randy Intense 1m7 wealth no save scumming. I can post my pic for you, screenshoted right before i launched the ship.

_ It's nothing, but my small victory, the desert map isn't that hard and i'm not a good player though, lost 12 people in the end.

p/s: After this base, i found that EPOE makes the game much more easier when i have enough plasteel, right now i'm doing a ice sheet Randy Extreme permadeath, no EPOE mods anymore, just some tiny QoL mods or fashion mods.

Lowkey1987

Good afternoon Ladys and Gentleman,

i would like to give my two cent to the creator of the topic. First of all: I dont like it when people use such hateful words. Why "jerk"? Its not nice and i dont think that you have the right to be harmful in such a way. I will explain why.

First of all, the game is not finished. I read the example with the restaurant which didnt serve quite well. This isnt a restaurant, and if: You can tell the chef how to do things better. More spice, less heat. And there is no need to scream, because the chef told you: "Hey, the dinner isnt ready yet. You can purchase it, and help make it better, if YOU want it." before you make your order.

Most people know, that in the development phase, your saves are not sacred. They will get lost until the game is finished, with every new version. But this is okay, because we get new contend. But nobody is pressing you into playing the new version. You can, if you like.

Second is the "My people act stupid because the system isnt perfect". As i understand Tynan, a part of this is intended. These are people, and they will do thinks in an ineffective way. Because humans arent drones. They will complain about many things, so we could solve these problems.
They will fire at everything that is trying to kill them (expect hunting animals), and our job is do the tactic part. If the melee walks in front of the minigun, shit will hit the fan. Why did he go there in the first place? Perhaps a wrong command.
Why eating human meet? Was there no normal food?
Last: Now, more problems are caused by unfinished business of Ludeon. And they are working on it.
Until they are finish you can help them by giving examples when problems occur. So they have a chance to change. Like the fire hold button. I think this is a great idea! Post it on the suggestion forum, and perhaps they implement it. I didn't think of this, you do.

To the thing after your 2 cent:
Anybody can tell, why he like the game, no matter how long he is playing. Some of use work many hours, and cant play often. Do they need more weeks so suffice? This should only show you: Don't throw random numbers to sift the number of opinions down. Every discussion needs to be open to learn something.
For you: Please don't throw shit at people, because they didn't do what you think they should be doing. Its not nice, and will not support your claim.
Have a nice evening!
Alex

PS: English isn't my first language but I hope my words are understandable.

Serenity

I was going to agree with some points, with that tone and the bad spelling, why bother?