Why rimworld gets boring and sucks later on.

Started by neobikes, September 28, 2016, 06:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carbon

I think the only part of the OP that I really agree with is that the developer should now be named "Tytan" Sylvester.

That's even better than Tyler.

FMK

The OP is a perfect example of how not to do constructive criticism, but I'll bite:
Cassandra, Challenge, Permadeath, No Mods - You are wrong.

'Mods' -> 600 hours in RimWorld on Steam -- not all on that save, obviously. Still haven't felt the uncontrollable need to touch a single one. Which, of course, isn't even counting the time I've played before it came to Steam.

'Pathfinding' -> A compromise between what would be logical, and what is fast to calculate. I remember in some of the older alphas where pathfinding took the best route almost always no matter how complex it was, and it just tanked the FPS to be unplayable even at 1x speed in the late-game, so I am grateful for the changes, even if it means colonists sometimes take a bit (or even a lot, in some cases) longer to get where they're going.

'Must start a new save with every major update' -> Expected of an Alpha game, can still Frankenstein a save to work with a later version if you care about it so much.

'Why is there not a 'no walks tile' option?' -> Because it would literally be a redundant system to zones, with no real advantages. Invert Zone exists for a reason.

'There is no 'Hold Fire' button for colonists' -> Admittedly would be nice, but is hardly a deal-breaker.

'Can't forbid colonists from eating certain food.' -> While I agree that it would be nice to have food settings similar to how drugs are (making a stockpile of survival meals for emergencies is a chore), colonists will never consider corpses a valid meal target unless they're starving and there is no other accessible food on the map.

Though I will admit that it's somewhat silly that colonists fall into the 'I'm so hungry I'll even eat a corpse' mindset the instant they start starving -- would make more sense if it was after they reach 20% or so starvation, to emulate a 'I haven't had anything to eat for what feels like an eternity, I'm feeling so weak... I'll eat anything' mindset better.

I do have some other minor issues with the game, like drug production being stuffed under crafting rather than being its own work category, or the lack of certain QoL features like being able to have changeable priorities for workbenches (To, for example, be able to prioritize butchering over cooking without having to lock the cook into the action of butchering). But they're hardly enough to ruin the game for me or to push me to using mods.

Litcube

I fear for this new generation of entitled gamers.  God help us and our beloved hobby.

Edmon

Quote from: Litcube on September 28, 2016, 01:31:35 PM
I fear for this new generation of entitled gamers.  God help us and our beloved hobby.

Can't agree with you more.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: Litcube on September 28, 2016, 01:31:35 PM

I fear more for the developers once the fans decide puking on them is a valid form of criticism.

stu89pid

Quote from: FMK on September 28, 2016, 01:22:41 PM
The OP is a perfect example of how not to do constructive criticism, but I'll bite:

Just wanted to commend your polite, controlled response to an otherwise ranty, whiny, ridiculous post that basically said the OP knew there are systems in the game to avoid some of the problems he is whining about, but he/she just wasn't willing to use those systems.

If I responded to the OP, I would have been much less pleasant or helpful, so good job being a better person than I.

And seconding wanting to be able to prioritize between work benches that use the same "work type" (IE butcher table/stove, crafting area, stonecutting, machining table etc).

Zhentar

'Pathfinding' -> A compromise between what would be logical, and what is fast to calculate. I remember in some of the older alphas where pathfinding took the best route almost always no matter how complex it was, and it just tanked the FPS to be unplayable even at 1x speed in the late-game, so I am grateful for the changes, even if it means colonists sometimes take a bit (or even a lot, in some cases) longer to get where they're going.

But we could have our cake and eat it too! It's harder (particularly for RimWorld's very non-uniform path costs), but there are approaches that would allow significantly better path determination while even improving on the current performance. One of the things that I think is neat about the current pathfinding logic is that it tries harder to find optimal paths for slower moving pawns (a stoned, peg-legged pawn carrying a rescued colonist will always pick perfect paths). But the flip side of that gets frustrating - the more effort you make to have efficient routes and fast pawns, the less effort they'll put into actually using it all effectively. (I've been playing with the pathfinding code recently, and hopefully I'll have a mod that improves it significantly in the near future)

mastamage

everyone has its thing, managing a colony is not your thing it seems.... feeding corpses to your colonists is like removing the stairs from a pool in the older sims games....

i still play on easy mode, but i need to not forget easy but important mood things... to not have lots of dazed colonists.

this is a hard game, even on easy, if your colonists eat corpses, and you dont get why..... it maybe is too hard for you

res34

Quote from: Scalare on September 28, 2016, 07:50:56 AM
The game isn't very good at that either with automatic prioritizing of tasks. You would expect if people go hungry that they slaughter more animals, cook and grow more food and if the rooms are getting too dirty that they would clean more, as can be expected from a story generator. But sadly you have to manage the shit out of everything to make colonists not behave like kim kardashian ;).

Wait, you expect the game to make NEW farms and hunt animals without prior selection? Do you even realize how stupid that is? If they built new farms whenever they were running low on food, where exactly are they going to place them - outside the walls of your city, in-between buildings, next to that cave filled with insectoids, etc...? And as for hunting, you do realize just how many animals will attack back? What if the colonist decided to hunt a bear or an elephant, just because they were low on food and that animal was nearby?

res34

Quote from: neobikes on September 28, 2016, 08:07:21 AM
When you go to restaurant do you get MENU and pick or you just eat trashes in back of kitchen, because you can't wait for something you should eat?

Besides you're analogy being terrible, why does your restaurant have no food, have human corpses lying around, take forever to prepare food as if you hadn't begun farming or hunting, you're chefs had been butchering the previously mentioned human corpses and leaving the mean around... and yet you question why customers would resort to eating "garbage".

FMK

Quote from: stu89pid on September 28, 2016, 03:53:16 PM

Just wanted to commend your polite, controlled response to an otherwise ranty, whiny, ridiculous post that basically said the OP knew there are systems in the game to avoid some of the problems he is whining about, but he/she just wasn't willing to use those systems.

I much prefer giving people the benefit of the doubt with my first reply, because I like encouraging civilized conversations when possible.

That, and having been an admin for ~5 years at a place that used to be slightly popular... Let's just say, the OP is tame compared to some of the insanity I had to deal with back then.

Quote from: Zhentar on September 28, 2016, 05:17:59 PM

But we could have our cake and eat it too! It's harder (particularly for RimWorld's very non-uniform path costs), but there are approaches that would allow significantly better path determination while even improving on the current performance. One of the things that I think is neat about the current pathfinding logic is that it tries harder to find optimal paths for slower moving pawns (a stoned, peg-legged pawn carrying a rescued colonist will always pick perfect paths). But the flip side of that gets frustrating - the more effort you make to have efficient routes and fast pawns, the less effort they'll put into actually using it all effectively. (I've been playing with the pathfinding code recently, and hopefully I'll have a mod that improves it significantly in the near future)

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that pathfinding still has a ton of ways it could be improved while still remaining efficient. I'm just glad that it's no longer an instant colony killer, until it becomes a priority to improve it more in the base game.

I've definitely noticed that discrepancy with pathfinding logic because of mechs when they have to walk a long ways -- scythers take one route, while centipedes take an entirely different one.

DuckBoy

I dunno... I had 3 useless people who couldn't haul, were addicted to crack, and were fresh out of crack.  They were also fresh out of turrets and food and freezing to death in a wintry mountainous desert. 

I left them to go grab dinner for an hour, and I came back and they were totally fine.  At triple speed. 

Now granted, totally fine still means they were eating the corpses of the other colonists that were all stuck on their beds since they couldn't haul.  But only one of them died. 

Colonists aren't all that stupid I think. 

mcgnarman

zandadoum

Quote from: neobikes on September 28, 2016, 06:09:59 AM
And this is the moment when u probably meet some first frustration about lacks of some basic necessity in this game. So you install MODS.
wrong.

i have almost 2000h. into the game (most of it before it even came to steam) and NO MODS

don't blame the game for your OCD