Dependence and withdrawal

Started by gh2k, September 28, 2016, 12:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gh2k

I have a new colonist who's having a hard time. She arrived smokeleaf-dependent and is feeling pretty bad about it. Currently she's at "withdrawal 50%" in her health stats.

I don't currently have any smokeleaf and I'm trying to keep my colonists drug-free. What will happen when she gets to 100% withdrawal? Can her smokeleaf dependence go away once she's got through the withdrawal? Or does something bad happen?

avilmask

She'll be free from addiction.
Unless it's luciferum, colonists always can fix their addiction by not using drugs.

Serenity

They will eventually get over it and become clean. But they will have mental break downs until that happens. Withdrawal causes pain for example so her mood will become very low.

The best is to just imprison her. If she goes berserk, beat hear down and heal her up. When she is clean just release her.

gh2k

Thanks. I just noted the "drug addiction" helper in the learning thingy that told me about it. It must have been there for ages before I noticed!

She's at 75% now and still functional. I can usually keep her happy enough with a bit of micro, and apart from the horde of boomrats outside my front door Cassandra's been quite good to me for the last couple of days.

stu89pid

Quote from: gh2k on September 28, 2016, 01:08:40 PM
Thanks. I just noted the "drug addiction" helper in the learning thingy that told me about it. It must have been there for ages before I noticed!

She's at 75% now and still functional. I can usually keep her happy enough with a bit of micro, and apart from the horde of boomrats outside my front door Cassandra's been quite good to me for the last couple of days.
Smokeleaf is probably the quickest withdrawal process, best of luck. I had a wanderer join early on, who had quite useful skills (Crafting >10 and affinity, also liked mining), but had a psychite addition at 24% and I had no drugs for him. It took a long time, and he had many mental breakdowns that resulted in him getting shot several times, but in the end he beat his addiction and is now running my rimworld addiction center where addicts cure their addiction through forced labor.

Zhentar

If I understand things right, you can even let them smoke every other day to gradually break the addiction without hitting withdrawal (which definitely won't work with any other drug).

jdc

Quote from: stu89pid on September 28, 2016, 05:09:50 PM
Quote from: gh2k on September 28, 2016, 01:08:40 PM

I got lucky. I have a psychcite addict, who, before I realized it, had a 93% withdrawal. All he did was starve and pass out after a day or so of "Daze" every couple of days. But here's a question: He has a chemical fascination. Does it need to get to 100% still, or 200%?

DAnny

So, cheap way to help with withdrawal if you can afford it, set them to joy 100% of their regular work time while the withdrawal is occurring, it'll be close but if you have a decent rec room and some beer (not too much or it'll just switch addictions, or smokeleaf if you got it) they breeze through it with next to no problems, random raids during dry thunderstorms aside.

OFWG

Quote from: DAnny on April 26, 2017, 12:11:17 AM
So, cheap way to help with withdrawal if you can afford it, set them to joy 100% of their regular work time while the withdrawal is occurring, it'll be close but if you have a decent rec room and some beer (not too much or it'll just switch addictions, or smokeleaf if you got it) they breeze through it with next to no problems, random raids during dry thunderstorms aside.

Keep in mind that if a pawn happens to be withdrawing from 2 other drugs at the same time, the hangover from a beer binge can literally kill them.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

b0rsuk

Sometimes people have mental breaks which make them binge on a drug! So an unlucky mental break might ruin your therapy when withdraval is 80% way through. Burning all drugs of the type, or walling them off, is the only sure way.

XeoNovaDan

Or just stick your addict in a cell until they get over it

grrizo

It's just smokeweed, it won't make your colonist eat the face of another one. If you inprison her, the bad mood probably make her very upset. Let her be until the withdrawal is at 100%

And why a drug-free colony? That's boring  :D
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Shurp

I tried a drug colony once.  Then one of my chemically interested pawns kept going on flake binges.  It just got too annoying to micromanage.  Besides, now that all traders buy parkas there was no reason to grow drugs for money anyway.

Now I just grow a pile of smokeweed to manage mood crises.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

cultist

Some drugs are really useful in very small amounts for specific situations. Wake-up and Yayo are neat for extended sniper battles or when trying to shut down a siege. Smokeweed is a mostly safe way to deal with bad mood and/or high pain levels.
The rest of the drugs I find somewhat dubious. Beer only provides a small mood boost, it takes time and work to produce and it still carries a small health risk. Flake is too addictive to be useful for anything but feeding an existing addiction.
I haven't used Go-Juice much, it seems to me like a tamer version of luciferium without the horrible side effects, but again too addictive and expensive to bother with IMO.

Superteej1996

Just a random question. If you were to administer a Luciferium dose to a prisoner and then harvest all their unimportant organs would the organs you harvested be damaged in any way? Or can you still use them...