[A15][WIP] Taiga Creatures

Started by Thirite, September 30, 2016, 12:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirite

I've been working on a mod which adds some more variety to the animals of RimWorld, most notably those found in the Boreal Forests, or 'Taiga' biomes. While there's obviously some overlap with other biomes, that's the main focus of the mod. I'm trying to remain as vanilla friendly as possible- graphically, balance-wise, and in animal design. Currently I have eight new animals.

Black bear
Exactly what you'd expect. Smaller, more common, and less dangerous bear.

Fisher
A dog-sized mammal related to weasels. Very vicious and very wild.

Horse
Just your typical friendly horses. You can't ride them, unfortunately.

Jackalope
A type of rabbit with pointy antlers protruding from between its ears.

Woolyhorse
A bizarre omnivorous horse that can live in incredibly cold climates.

Ermine
A cute little stoat with an almost pure white winter coat.

Megabadger
A very large and incredibly dangerous predator. Best to simply avoid.

Chipmunk
A tiny critter that serves mostly to be eaten by hungry predators.

Wooly Rhino
A throwback to the cold-weather rhinoceros of the ice-age.

Sizes shown are not accurate representations of size comparisons in-game.

v0.3 testing release:
Download here

A Dog Said... compatibility patch
Thanks to kaptain_kavern for helping with this one. I may simply integrate this compatch into the mod and make ADS required to use Taiga Creatures in the future.

Changelog
v0.1 - Initial release. Added blackbear, fisher, horse, jackalope, woolyhorse
v0.2 - Lots of cleanup, added ermine, megabadger, and chipmunk. Added compatch for A Dog Said...
v0.3 - Added Wooly Rhino

Suggestions and feedback are more than welcome.

Malinov

I have to say, these look really good (in-game too), they blend in perfectly with vanilla animals. Will definitely start in a boreal forest now with my next colony, keep up the good work!

Cpt.Ohu

Those are some really nice assets, keep up the good work. I especially like the jackalope, makes me think of a planet entirely inhabited by fearsome critters.

LustrousWolf

Cannot wait for these! They look so like vanilla animals its great! (similar art style)

Onion

These look great!  They perfectly capture the vanilla style while still looking better than the default animals.  My only criticism is that (for me) the horse's legs are a little long for the vanilla style.  I would love to see how the horses look with a little bit shorter/rounder legs.  Everything looks great though and I'm excited to see what else you make!  ;D

Thirite

Quote from: Onion on September 30, 2016, 02:26:25 PM
I would love to see how the horses look with a little bit shorter/rounder legs.
Yeah, I'll have to shorten them a bit. Wasn't really sure how long they ought to be.

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad to hear they're looking mostly as intended.

kaptain_kavern

Oh man that bear look both vanilla and badass. Take it from someone that cannot draw even a straight line  ;D

Really like it and also about time we get horses  :P

Great job

Hydromancerx

You need to team up with the other animal mod(s) and make one big animal mod!

Also my sudgestion from the other thread.

Quote from: Hydromancerx on September 25, 2016, 09:06:39 PM
Boreal Forest
- Alpaca
- Beaver
- Bison
- Boar
- Chinchilla
- Cougar
- Elk
- Grizzly
- Grouse
- Ibex
- Moa
- Moose
- Otter
- Porcupine
- Raccoon
- Red Fox
- Salamander
- Squirrel
- Snow Tiger
- Timber Wolf
- Warg
- Wolverine

Thirite

Quote from: Hydromancerx on September 30, 2016, 09:33:21 PM
You need to team up with the other animal mod(s) and make one big animal mod!
Maybe in the future when the mod is better developed, it could be integrated into something like that. CK Animal & Plant Pack looks like it is following close to the same standards, so I could see a merge with them potentially happening.

As for the animals you listed, some are definitely on my mind, but I haven't decided concretely. Wolverines and Porcupines are likely, though.

Thirite

v0.2 testing release now available in the OP.

skullywag

I havent checked as im not near a pc but is this using the wildbiomes on the racedef to add the animals to the biome? Just checking for compatibility purposes.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Thirite

Yes, it is. Taiga Creatures should be fully compatible with any mod that does not add creatures with identical def names, as I didn't use a special prefix on them.

Hydromancerx

Yay an update! Keep up the good work! :D

Hydromancerx

I made you some woolly rhino art (see attachments). The art needs a bit of cleaning up but it should get you started.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

jmababa

I want these and also add some for arid desert like badger, cobra, lizrd but there's already 1 type of lizrd there, desert toad, javellina, roadrunnerand lastly scorpions its been missin in the arid desert