Black screen (The help thing didn't work)

Started by johnwalkerq, October 01, 2016, 07:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnwalkerq

Nothing works. here is the game log; http://pastebin.com/XQSvvi4m

I have tried all this:
1. Deleting the game (100% deleting it both saves documents and whatever not.)
2. Restarting my PC.
3. Disabling my Virus program.
4. Tried starting the game from both steam and it's main file even.
5. Installed both new & old drivers.

None of this worked. I have waited for 2 days now without nothing working and it's making me really sad because i love to play this game.

nccvoyager

Try disabling any power saving options in the "Catalyst" graphics card manager. (If applicable.)

If that doesn't help, or is unavailable, could you try running RimWorld in windowed fullscreen mode?

QuoteRight-click RimWorld in the Steam library.
Click "Properties" from the drop-down list.
Click "Set Launch Options" from this menu.
Type in "-popupwindow" in the box.
Click "ok" to exit this box.
Click "close" to close this menu.
Try to run RimWorld.

johnwalkerq

Quote from: nccvoyager on October 01, 2016, 06:09:34 PM
Try disabling any power saving options in the "Catalyst" graphics card manager. (If applicable.)

If that doesn't help, or is unavailable, could you try running RimWorld in windowed fullscreen mode?

QuoteRight-click RimWorld in the Steam library.
Click "Properties" from the drop-down list.
Click "Set Launch Options" from this menu.
Type in "-popupwindow" in the box.
Click "ok" to exit this box.
Click "close" to close this menu.
Try to run RimWorld.

Tried disabling all power saving things on catalyst.
Also tried adding the windowed fullscreen mode and it didn't work.

nccvoyager

Could I request your operating system, and some more in-depth details as to the issue?

Specifically;
Does the game reach the menu screen, or does it black screen immediately upon starting?
If it reaches the menu screen, does it black screen when attempting to load a game or start a new one, or something else?

johnwalkerq

Whenever i start the game it's just a black screen nothing else. Even waited 5 hours still nothing happend lol.

Radeon Software Version - 16.9.2
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series
Memory Size - 3072 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 925 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Need anything else?

nccvoyager

So, doing some research, this error (HandleD3DDeviceLost) is an error thrown by Unity in regards to several different issues.
Most of those issues seem to deal with graphics idle states, including alt-tabbing from games causing the game to "lose focus" and throw an error.
(This is, apparently, one reason that fullscreen Unity games tend to crash when not the focused window for a while.)

Anyways, much as I shouldn't assume anything, I am going to assume you are running this on a desktop tower.

Are you running a multiple-monitor setup?
If so, try running the game with only one monitor plugged in.

If running with only one monitor, or if that doesn't help, with the "-popupwindow" option still being used for the game, try going to the config folder:
Quote%userprofile%\appdata\locallow\ludeon studios\rimworld\config
(For Win7, though I believe the environment variable is still the same in WinX?)
Open the "Prefs.XML" file.
Change:
Quote<runInBackground>False</runInBackground>
To:
Quote<runInBackground>True</runInBackground>
Then try running RimWorld again.

If this still doesn't help, you could attempt to force Unity into D3D11 mode, or OpenGL mode.
Quote-force-d3d11
Quote-force-opengl
Unfortunately, if my source is correct, D3D11 mode could cause some issues, and OpenGL mode will probably cause poor performance.
Of course, it may also let you run the game, so, there is that.

Other than this, I am sorry to say that I myself cannot give much more assistance.
If none of this helps, I am afraid that awaiting the counsel of someone much more versed than I is the only recourse.

johnwalkerq

I tried the things you suggested and it sadly didn't work, but thank you for trying to help me anyway.

nccvoyager

I just wish I could help more.
Perhaps someone else might be able to render further assistance?

milon

I just had a thought.

johnwalkerq, run 'dxdiag' (click start and then type it, Win10 will find it).  The dialog that comes up will tell you what version of DirectX your system is running.  Please make note of that, and report it here.

For the technically advanced, I bring this up because my Win10 machine was stuck on DX10 for a long time due to Windows Update having obsolete video drivers.  After manual intervention, I now have DX12 and a happier computer.

nccvoyager

Now that I think about it, that might make sense.
Steam is supposed to automatically install any necessary redistributable packages that may be necessary, but sometimes fails to do so properly.

Installing DirectX 12 and DirectX 9 redistributables may be necessary.
(Many games, especially using the Unity engine, seem to automatically default to DX9 if DX12 is unavailable.)

johnwalkerq

Quote from: milon on October 17, 2016, 01:10:23 PM
I just had a thought.

johnwalkerq, run 'dxdiag' (click start and then type it, Win10 will find it).  The dialog that comes up will tell you what version of DirectX your system is running.  Please make note of that, and report it here.

For the technically advanced, I bring this up because my Win10 machine was stuck on DX10 for a long time due to Windows Update having obsolete video drivers.  After manual intervention, I now have DX12 and a happier computer.

I got DirectX 12

milon

Then scratch that idea.  :(

FYI, DX12 has no stand-alone install and is only available within Win10.  My system had it, but just couldn't *use* it until compatible drivers were present.

I'm really surprised that the OpenGL option above didn't work.  Let's try forcing DX10 and see what happens.  Try with start up option "-force-d3d10" instead.

nccvoyager

Really, DX12 is only available in WinX?
Huh, didn't realize that.
My computer is so obsolete...
Anyways, I'll leave this to milon from here on out, and I wish the best of luck to you.

milon

johnwalkerq

Nop, i gave up it pissed me off since it's not working.