[A15] Alpha Animals

Started by skullywag, October 02, 2016, 04:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

The chitin thingy "bugged" me as well. However its just using the vanilla leather system currently. I mean i could make their "leather" something else and add a butcher product of chitin/whatever...?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Nimrod

I noticed you set the manhunter event to arctic lions only (rest is commented out) - any reason for that?

skullywag

i may or may not have been testing and forgot......erp.

kaptain_kavern

The day you guys start to use a github repo and are wanting some help ... I'm there :p

skullywag

Did i not do the thing......hang on

edit - stop making me thing im going mad, i did do the thing....

https://github.com/Skullywag/AlphaAnimals

Draegon

Adding a chitin material would be pretty sweet! Maybe it could be made into special armor and into special looking furniture. (the furniture would be epic for cave homes or bug using colonies) I'd gladly help design them both if you end up wanting to do that. :D

Tammabanana

I have DevilSheep feedback! I'm noticing it doesn't have a description yet, and its melee DPS is 0 when I look at it in-game, so I'm sure you're not done with it yet, but I poked around in the defs and I see its combat stats are... low.

I grew up with sheep, so Ima tell you about real sheep combat. All sheep are devil sheep, but I imagine actual DevilSheep should be even worse.

• Sheep are big, like, 200-300 pounds. They amble along peacefully enough when there's nothing going on, but they accelerate like nobody's business when they're spooked, or when they just decide it's time to get rid of you. When they do decide to run, it is very fast, and they will break your kneecaps when they ram you. (This is not a made-up example; my mother still limps.)
    And then they will wander away, like nothing happened at all.
    I don't know if it's possible to have DevilSheeps' speed be different when they're just chillin' in the pasture (very slow) vs. when they're Released/attacking (very fast)? Or if it's possible to make their initial ram attack do massive damage, while their other attacks are smaller?

• Sheep bite; it hurts, but canine bites are worse. They prefer to run, if they have room for it. Or ram you, again if they have room for it.

• Their hooves are thick and the front bits are sharp/rough/jagged (pointy forwards, not down), but I've never seen one use them to attack. Their back legs are strong enough to launch them over a 4-foot fence if they want, so I kind of think theoretically they could rear back and whack you with their front hooves, but they don't. Maybe holding their own weight on the back legs is a different matter than just jumping. I think they're more likely to kick with a single back leg, but I don't remember if I ever saw that, beyond an attempt to shove a lamb out of the way.

• Rams have headbutting contests, where they'll back up, run headfirst at each other, butt heads, and then back up and do it all over again. Ewes, not so much.

More stuff about sheep, nonviolent parts!

• Sheep are milkable, some breeds more than others. Would void gods deign to allow this? Does DevilSheep milk have druglike effects?

• Sheep are not clean. Wool catches and keeps poo really well. This attracts flies, who lay maggots, who eat at sheep, who get infections and die. You have to spray sheep with an anti-fly chemical of some sort to keep them off. Or shear them more often, or wash them, or something, probably. (Do DevilSheep have problems with flies, or do flies avoid them?)

• Sheep actually have long tails when they're born. (Bony tails like a dog's, but much more wiggly, and woolly like the rest of them - but thinly, because they're just babies and all their wool is thin at that stage.) Humans dock the tails, primarily because of the aforementioned poo problem, which is even worse when the tail traps the poo. This is done by putting a really tight rubber band around the lamb's tail when they're newborn-ish. As the lamb grows, the tail's circulation gets cut off and eventually the tail just falls off at the band, and you find the tail later in the pasture. Do DevilSheep have tails as lambs, or just ignore that? DevilSheep lamb tails might be a rarity that sells for a lot of money on the black market or something, but I can't think what you would do with them. Grind them up into powders for drugs or medicines or weird void god rituals, maybe.

• Sheep have been bred to grow wool forever and ever with no regard for the sheep's health. If you don't shear them in the spring, they risk keeling over from heatstroke in the summer. Would void gods in sheeps' clothing allow this indignity? Or are they bound by the physical restrictions of their chosen bodies?

• 10 years is normal sheep life expectancy. Would void gods abide by that, or decide to stay longer?

• Sheep are stupid. "Obedience" is a thing sheep could pull off, but "Release" is more like sheep running away and not being able to find their way home. They won't even "Rescue" their own lambs, just baa naggingly at them from a safe distance. Void gods are probably not stupid, so maybe "Advanced" is not inappropriate. They might be more catlike in temperament, though, and refuse training? I think I've seen a Rimworld cat bring a rat home? Can DevilSheep just... y'know... attack whatever they feel like? OOO, can they preferentially hunt timber wolves and bring the bodies home to lay on your doorstep???
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

gillsminnow

haha that is some of the best feedback I've ever seen  ;D

Tammabanana

Well, tonight the dps says 5.9, so I'm wrong about that part. I dunno why it said 0 when I was playing with it last night, oh well.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Tammabanana on October 18, 2016, 08:25:04 PM
I don't know if it's possible to have DevilSheeps' speed be different when they're just chillin' in the pasture (very slow) vs. when they're Released/attacking (very fast)? Or if it's possible to make their initial ram attack do massive damage, while their other attacks are smaller?
Something around that is doable. It's possible to set several attacks for animals. With different damage amount, damage type, used bodypart and COOLDOWN. So the ramming attack could be say a "blunt" attack with high damage and low cooldown (could even STUN now) while still having the classic paws/bite attacks most of the vanilla animals have.

Quote from: gillsminnow on October 18, 2016, 09:03:09 PM
haha that is some of the best feedback I've ever seen  ;D
I have to massively agree on that one  ;D Great feedback.  ' was debating about including milking Ibex in an other mod i'm working on where we tried to "upgrade" vanilla animals (mostly adding shearing and milking on those that missed it) and your feedback help me decide ;)

zloitermit

Monkey Squirrel away, not all amateurs!!!

skullywag

Thank you Tammabanana for the single best feedback ive ever received....amazing 5/7. Will take it onboard.

Tammabanana

You're welcome, and thanks!

I am so excited about DevilSheep. Finally, the world will know the truth.

Nimrod

Quote from: Tammabanana on October 19, 2016, 06:52:46 AM
Finally, the world will know the truth.

To be honest, I always suspected something like that ... sneaky buggers them sheeps.

Back to the rest of the flock: Mister skullywag, what kind of feedback are you looking for? Anything specific before you flesh the beasties out a little more?

Seinne

Quote from: Tammabanana on October 18, 2016, 09:04:38 PM
Well, tonight the dps says 5.9, so I'm wrong about that part. I dunno why it said 0 when I was playing with it last night, oh well.
I get that too once in a while, don't know why but all animals will show 0 dps.