[A15] Alpha Animals

Started by skullywag, October 02, 2016, 04:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightinggale

If you or anybody else fixes the issues in a mod on GitHub (like this one), why don't you fork the project, fix the issues in your new git repository and then make a pull request? The mod owner can then reject if changes are unwanted, but at the same time if they are ok, it's just one accept button and the mod is suddenly A18 ready with nearly no time spend by the mod owner.

This approach is part of the core concept in GitHub (and git in general) and it allows people to contribute without actually having write permission to the project. I think all the default licenses on GitHub allows this approach without prior consent from the project owner(s), though in this particular mod there is no license attached to the mod project.

This statement pretty much applies to all mods being released in a git repository. It's counter productive to not publish your local changes. However forking a project without having the goal of making pull requests to the original should only be considered for orphan mods and even then make pull requests to give the original mod owner a fair chance to come back.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

kaptain_kavern

Because I have the impression Skulywag was busy but wanting to deal with this mod himself (a couple of month ago it was looking like that, this mod have quite a long history in fact). I just asked him via PM if he is interested in a PR (I know a bit how git is working and have all git history in my local cloned repo indeed).

But you are right about what you say, it's just that I wanted to ask Skullywag first for this particular project. And because i'm used to do it that in the past with him or A Friend (the artist). So I just teased a bit in the mean time ;-)

Old Marm

Please o please o please o please!  This creative alien species mod is just too good to be forgotten!
I enjoy the additional fauna mods very much, but the addition of these strange and challenging, perhaps indigenous, life forms would make the game richer.  Thanks to all the talent behind this!

kaptain_kavern

I had permission from Skullywag so I will release an A18 version with all the animals A Friend drawn (in the other thread he pretty much prepared everything, including descriptions and biomes etc). I will not be able to make them having non-vanilla behaviors (I can't do C#) but I inetend to use them all anyway, using feedbacks to adjust them and hopefully when Skullywag will have more time he will just have to add his voodoo C# thingies to even improves things better.

The only thing I'm not sure of is to create another thread or not, knowing he said to me he will came back later to take care of the mod...

Nightinggale

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on November 11, 2017, 02:54:54 PMI will not be able to make them having non-vanilla behaviors (I can't do C#)
Take a gamble and just add the DLL and see what happens. Depending on changes in RimWorld itself, it might work and it might not. The difference in ModCheck for A17 and A18 is About.xml and nothing else. In fact the A17 DLL is just copied from A18, not recompiled.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

kaptain_kavern

Alas, i tried but without success. But the "Assembly files" in it was for A13 (A15 version never properly worked AFAIK) so it may explained that ;-)

skullywag

Kap, go ahead and make another thread that you can control, im totally happy with this, steam, the works, go nuts. Work on your fork, ill PR back into mine when im back to modding. :)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

kaptain_kavern

Will do then ;D Thanks

Just added LockJaws lately. As soon as I have all animals in I will do a pre-release. In a couple of days, max.

Canute

Hmm can they eat an elephant in one bite ? :-)

Nightinggale

Quote from: Canute on November 13, 2017, 04:46:04 PM
Hmm can they eat an elephant in one bite ? :-)
More importantly: can they eat pawns in one bite and do you have even a remote chance if a group of mad LockJaws turns up?

kaptain_kavern

They are predators yes. But lonely ones. And I've set their maxPreyBodysize attribute to 0.95 for them to not hunts humans on their own; because their descriptions mentioned them not being that much aggressive

Nightinggale

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on November 13, 2017, 05:04:34 PM
They are predators yes. But lonely ones. And I've set their maxPreyBodysize attribute to 0.95 for them to not hunts humans on their own; because their descriptions mentioned them not being that much aggressive
That doesn't answer the mad animal event, but maybe the xml setup will not allow them to be used for the mad animals event.

Pink Omega

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on November 13, 2017, 05:04:34 PM
Speaking of that, will you guys ever do something like a document to store information about the creatures? Would be quite nice for people like me who are interested in alien biology and such things :D

<=To Be Continued/\/

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Nightinggale on November 13, 2017, 05:13:00 PM
That doesn't answer the mad animal event, but maybe the xml setup will not allow them to be used for the mad animals event.
I was about to let them all available for the manhunter event. But indeed there is a new XML tag in A18 to deny them specifically for man hunter events
<canArriveManhunter>false</canArriveManhunter>

@Guido
In fact the artist who made all animals graphics, A Friend, has everything ready in this thread: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17087.0

lude

really looking forward to this