[A16] Better Pathfinding (v1.5.2 update 2/22)

Started by Zhentar, October 02, 2016, 07:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VeeCee

Yep, I really do miss this mod. Watching my pawns run through trees and take paths through water instead of walking on the land next to it gets a bit frustrating. I'd give a left arm for this in B18... not my left arm, granted. Someone else's... there are plenty of arms out there to give.  ;D

Mst

A16. So no one took it up since? Haven't played myself after a16, can't wait to get back to the rim.
Does anyone know any substitute for this mod or unofficial update?

SpawnTD

I dont understand, why the core has such a bad pathfinding.

Nightinggale

Quote from: SpawnTD on December 05, 2017, 04:05:23 PM
I dont understand, why the core has such a bad pathfinding.
Great pathfinding -> high CPU load and low frame rate
Poor pathfinding -> reduced CPU load and higher framerate

Vanilla has attempted to increase performance in pathfinding, but broke it in A17. They claim to have fixed it in A18 (now B18) and while it's better, when it comes to long distance travel, it's still worse than this patch.

The real solution would be to get pathfinding done right, order the route and then let another thread plan it. That way even though the CPU load itself is not lowered, it is spread across multiple CPU cores.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

ProfZelonka

Anyone by chance want a stab at this for 1.0?

It's quite surprising how bad the pathfinding is for core. Compare the path finding of classic games like Command & Conquer, apparently on Tiberian Sun they ran into huge pathfinding issues but were able to come up with a solution and it really made the series since.

SAG

gendalf

is there an alternative for a recent game version or is this no longer necessary?