Legendary sculptures

Started by Torgue, October 03, 2016, 04:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torgue

In alpha 15 is it still possible to craft legendary sculptures? I played my colony for a long time, made a lot of sculptures with my max skilled artists but didnt got a single legendary one since i played on a15.

brcruchairman

I would assume it's still possible, if unlikely. Note that, according to the wiki, even a godlike (level 20) craftsperson has only a 1-4% chance of making a legendary item.

From my own personal experience in vanilla Rimworld, I have not yet made a legendary item, though I have seen them in-game for sale from traders. If you use mods, it is possible something is broken, though based on the low legendary chance anyway, I'm more inclined to think it's just bad luck.

Torgue

Quote from: brcruchairman on October 03, 2016, 06:23:07 PM
I would assume it's still possible, if unlikely. Note that, according to the wiki, even a godlike (level 20) craftsperson has only a 1-4% chance of making a legendary item.

From my own personal experience in vanilla Rimworld, I have not yet made a legendary item, though I have seen them in-game for sale from traders. If you use mods, it is possible something is broken, though based on the low legendary chance anyway, I'm more inclined to think it's just bad luck.

i know the chance is low to get one but but in alpha 14 i had about 10 of them in the same playtime. Even 1 hour of reloading before finishing the sculpture there was not a single one.

brcruchairman

The wiki claims that quality is determined when a product is finished, so the savescumming you reported is likely to have produced a legendary sculpture by now.1 So, assuming you just haven't been unlucky, there are two more things I can think to check.

The obvious one is, if you are using mods, I'd look for ones which modify qualities or crafting processes. If you find out which mod it is, I'd be grateful to hear it. :)  I imagine others would, too.

I'm going to assume that you're using vanilla only, or none of your mods modify quality or crafting. The last thing I can think of to check, then, is the state of your crafters. Are they in pain? Are they missing any limbs or do they have old wounds? I ask because anything that adversely affects consciousness or manipulation seems to also adversely affect colonist work.2 As such, if your colonists are miserable or wounded, one would expect them to be operating at a lower skill level, if I've read that source right.

If none of this seems to be the root of your problem, then it sounds like a legitimate bug; it may be worth posting a report in the bug forum with a copy of your save so the devs can figure out what's going wrong. :)

1: Assuming a godlike, perfectly healthy sculptor and, say, 1 savescumed sculpture produced per minute, the odds of us getting a legendary item by now varies according to the exact figures. Assuming a 1% legendary chance, 60 attempts has a 54.7% chance (0.99^60) of not yielding a legendary artifact. For a 4% chance, that goes down to 0.96^60=8% chance. So in the edge case, it's entirely possible that you've just been unlucky. However, that likelihood drops off quickly as the chances of a legendary sculpture rise above 1%.
2: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14500.0

Zhentar

A level 20 artist should have a 1.2% chance of crafting a legendary sculpture. Capacities don't weigh into that at all; they affect the crafting speed but not the quality of the result.

PieTau

i had done test with 40000 shivs lvl20 and then i had 3.16% for legendary

brcruchairman

Quote from: Zhentar on October 03, 2016, 08:29:23 PM
A level 20 artist should have a 1.2% chance of crafting a legendary sculpture. Capacities don't weigh into that at all; they affect the crafting speed but not the quality of the result.
Ah, quite; thank you for the correction! I had misinterpreted the source.

With the figures you presented, the OP could easily have just been unlucky. This is further supported by Ninosegers; thank you both! :) I think you two helped answer this question more thoroughly than I ever could've. :)

SimpleMachine88

I made a legendary large silver sculpture.  Apparently the beauty of items maxes at 1000. 

Torgue

Ok maybe its just bad luck this time. i use the same mods(expanded prosthetics, madskills) like in v14. How are the chances to get legendary weapons, clothings or furnitur cause i have alot of them?

Mehni

As the one that recently updated the Wiki article, here are the calculated numbers. The wiki's visual system is nice and easy to look at but sacrifices some accuracy. This reddit post goes into a bit of the mathematics and links to the excel file with the calculations.

stu89pid

Quote from: Mehni on October 04, 2016, 10:46:02 AM

As the one that recently updated the Wiki article, here are the calculated numbers. The wiki's visual system is nice and easy to look at but sacrifices some accuracy. This reddit post goes into a bit of the mathematics and links to the excel file with the calculations.

Thank you much for your time and effort then!
One quick question, why does the Wiki use arbitrary box symbols to communicate the inforamtion in this table? The hard numbers you have posted here are much more pleasant to work with for a statistics guy like myself.

brcruchairman

I second this; if nothing else, perhaps a collapsed table of data summary?

Mehni

It's a wiki, go ahead and edit it.

The arbitrary box symbols worked well for the previous version, where there wasn't a whole lot of spread. I've kept it that way because it gives a lot of info at a glance.

Ransu

Playing a 1.0 version, I got this.