Mysterious/odd/amusing colonist deaths

Started by GroeneAppel, October 03, 2016, 05:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GroeneAppel

I invite everyone to write about the one inevitable thing that will happen to a colonist; death.
What was your strangest, most interresting or simply most amusing way to lose a colonist?

To kick it off i'll talk about my best doctor and surgeon in my currently oldest and best functioning colony: Toni
Toni was an interresting man, 67 years old, hooked on a steady supply of luciferum, filled with bionics and the best damn doctor around. Now I must say I enjoy playing with a few mods (notably EPOE and Glittertech), and the screenshot listed below was initially meant to show the amusing (lack) of balance these mods brought.

However that snapshot turned out to be the last one i'd ever see poor Toni alive on. As Toni died one day after making it. One big question however quickly arose; what could possibly have killed poor Toni?

Looking closely at his health status and pondering why a game like Rimworld had no message history whatsoever, I came to the simple conclusion that I had no idea what could possibly have been his end. It felt especially odd because I dont recall noticing any slowdowns, having sped up time you see.
Perhaps I am just blind, perhaps it was simply old age or perhaps it is truly a mystery. But I have no idea what took poor Toni's life.

Side note: I don't see any spoiler tag option or anything related to hide the image to prevent cluttering, am I double blind or does the forum not have these?

Aatxe360

My guess is he choked on his own vomit from the food poisoning.

RoboticManiac

Maybe the combined effects of the Luciferum, luciferum need (I don't know how the drugs works in the new patch), food poisoning and sleeping sickness reduced some vital stat down below survivable thresholds?

Can't say I've had many strange deaths myself. Most of them are rather straight forward.

IE, there are more bullets in a person than there normally should be. Or someone accidentally went below the minimum reconmended number of hearts a human should have.

stu89pid

My colonies always have a single pawn that does 90%+ of the hunting so I can level at least one pawn to a high shooting skill.

I was fairly late in a game beginning to construct my ship. I got a particularly nasty infestation (6 hives). Fortunately it was far enough from the main base that I was able to construct some rudimentary walls to prevent the bugs from pouring into my base immediately.

With the newly constructed walls, my colonists were safe for the night and I allowed them to get a good nights rest before the imminent showdown.

Fast forward to the next morning. My main shooter pawn who now has a high quality charge rifle decides this is the day he will start binge eating.

Ok, I have a pretty well stocked fridge at this point so maybe I just push back my bug hunt another day? Still no big deal.

Well my shooter (Named Art) all of the sudden decides the rice, corn, muffalo meat, potatoes, strawberries, elephant meat, and boar meat weren't to his liking. My dear Art unfortunately got the taste for royal jelly.

Art casually walked into the deathtrap that had 4 hives in close proximity. These were the last steps that Art took in this rimworld.

RIP Art. Take solace knowing that Mickey showed up hours after your passing with an incendiary launcher and the colonists of Anytown, USA (Uncharted Star Alpha) prevailed.

PS-Art, we hope you understand why we couldn't honor your wishes to have an open casket funeral.

Shurp

And this is why binge eaters get a wooden log to the face in any colony I run.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mikhail Reign

I had an old guy die from a completely non-fatal wound in a older version, due to the 'did they die' roll that happens whenever someone falls down.

He was old, sick and probably more then a few old ailments. He went out one day and a boat agro'ed on him. The first attack from the boat scratched his leg (no bleeding) due to his general health, this was enough to incapacitate him. He died when he die the ground.

Alenerel

Quote from: RoboticManiac on October 04, 2016, 09:45:24 AM
Can't say I've had many strange deaths myself. Most of them are rather straight forward.

IE, there are more bullets in a person than there normally should be. Or someone accidentally went below the minimum reconmended number of hearts a human should have.

Do you mind if I borrow this?

My deaths usually are pretty straightforward. The most stupid ones are when they remove all the pilars that sustain a roof and the roof falls, usually it just damages them but other times they directly die.

A Friend

Once upon a time,

My cannibal chef burned to death in my freezer as he was incapacitated on a pile of  burning human meat.

The end.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Trylobyte

If someone in my colony has a heart attack, regardless of which colony, there is a 90% chance that heart attack victim is my doctor.  One poor medical professional died so quickly from one she couldn't get from the freezer to a bed to get treated.

Boba Phat

One of my colonists was out mining a steel deposit and got jumped by a cougar.  He was dead before I could even react (x3 speed), much less send anyone to help.  His bear was apparently telepathic, because the instant his master died, he went berserk and killed two more colonists before I could kill it.  And then their pets went berserk, and suddenly there was a whole rampaging horde of rabid bears and wargs thundering through the halls of my base, murdering everyone in sight.

I have no idea how this turned out because I said "fuck this noise" and save-scummed.

Shurp

It just occurred to me that animals would be a lot less useless if bonding were removed. How difficult is it to reduce the bonding rate to 0%?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

bclewis

Bonding gives mood buffs though.  I don't know why drafted colonists can't just order their pet to stay out of combat (for that matter, how does the pet actually "know" their master has been drafted?)

Shurp

I would gladly give up mood buffs in order to send an army of trained boars to attack enemy pirates if I knew my colonists wouldn't go crazy when they get shot up and killed.  As the game is set up now, you have to game the game by creating animal zones in pirate camps and other silliness.