Started by alaestor, October 03, 2016, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alaestor

Quantum Cooling
Now With Heaters!

Tired of the heat?!
Go tell Thermodynamics to screw off!
Quantum Cooling™

Quantum Cooling technology allows for exhaustless cooling. It can be used to reach extremely low temperatures but is relatively expensive and consumes a lot of power.

Previous versions going back to A15 can be downloaded from the Mega.nz link in the Downloads section.

Quantum Cooling™ Technology
Using quantum mechanics; you can discover how to reduce entropy without displacing it.
Perfect for cooling the inside of mountian bases without the need for exhaust venting!
(and yes, I'm aware physics doesn't work like that; thanks :D )

Research and Construction
After you've researched "Air Conditioning", QC adds the "Quantum Prototype" which will unlock the very weak Prototype Quantum Cooler. It may struggle to keep negative temperatures depending on the room size, climate, and weather. From there you can research the next tier; "Quantum Cooling" which will unlock both the Small and Large versions of the Quantum Cooler, which can be found in the Temperature construction tab. Also adds "Quantum Heating" which will unlock both the Small and Large versions of the Quantum Heater.

Cooler Comparison
eps = Energy Per Second (Rimworld's heat mechanics...)
The lower the Watts per EPS, the more efficient the cooler is.

• Default Rimworld Cooler
    Efficiency: -21eps at 200watts for 9.5w per eps.
    Materials:  90 Steel and 3 components.
    Research: Air Conditioning

• Prototype Quantum Cooler
    Efficiency: -11eps at 200watts for 18.2w per eps.
    Materials:  75 Steel, 100 Silver, and 5 components.
    Research: Air Conditioning

• Small Quantum Cooler
    Efficiency: -33eps at 500watts for 15.2w per eps.
    Materials: 10 Plasteel, 200 Silver, 50 Gold, and 5 Components.
    Research: Quantum Cooling

• Large Quantum Cooler
    Efficiency: -190eps at 2000watts for 10.5w per eps.
    Materials:  75 Plasteel, 500 Silver, 50 Gold, and 10 Components.
    Research: Quantum Cooling

To balance the lack of exhaust, Quantum Coolers are rather pricey and inefficient. The coolers get more efficient in accordance with their price - though the default cooler will always be more resource and energy efficient. However, the bonuses are that you can do more with less space and don't need to worry about exhaust. In a space that's well insulated a non-prototype Quantum Cooler can be used to easily reach temperatures close to absolute zero (-270c).

Compatibility
You're good to go! QC isn't known to conflict with anything.

QC Downloads
Latest Mod Version is mv2.0.0 made for Game Version 1.0.2059
There will also be archives of older versions available for download via Mega.nz (oldest being A15 mv0.0.1)
Download: mega.nz, files.fm, or the Steam Workshop.

Change Log
Can be found in this Pastebin or the Steam Workshop

License, Suggestions, and Bug Reports
I would prefer if people were to submit bug reports in the Steam Workshop discussion, though I understand that this isn't always possible. I will likely be slow to respond to posts in this thread. If something is urgent; feel free to E-Mail me (which can be found in the changelog paste bin).

As for suggestions; I doubt I will be expanding on the mod as I'm currently limited to XML definitions.

License information; reuse, redistribute, update, modify, whatever.

Thirite

alaestor

RE: "and yes, I'm aware physics doesn't work like that"[...]

thx tho :D

Canute

ohh why not, temperatur is just a kind of swinging/moving atoms/molecules. If you can generate a field some people would call it stasis field to prevent this, the temperature inside the field would drop.
But i would say you need to add one or 2 more zero at the research cost :-)

Darkfirephoenix

Behold the SPACE MAGIC™ (which would still be more or less just EXTREMELY advanced tech....) :D

Quote from: Canute on October 04, 2016, 01:48:26 AM
ohh why not, temperatur is just a kind of swinging/moving atoms/molecules. If you can generate a field some people would call it stasis field to prevent this, the temperature inside the field would drop.
But i would say you need to add one or 2 more zero at the research cost :-)
Well if the colonists have a sample/blueprint and just need to figure out how to copy it it wouldn't take that much research. You can reproduce machines even if you don't really understand how they work/what the science is behind them. ;)

Canute

You sure ? :-)
Thats only works well for machines/tech you can analyse with your current tech/research.
Or how do you think people from the victorian age with steammashines would rebuild a current mobile phone. Oh yeah get some voodoo doc to help ! :-)

Dave-In-Texas

I love it, adds a dash of buck rogers to the game.   I added the foilowing to my copy

<requiredResearchBuilding>HiTechResearchBench</requiredResearchBuilding>
    <requiredResearchFacilities>
      <li>MultiAnalyzer</li>
    </requiredResearchFacilities>

alaestor

It's quite unbalanced as this was just the initial release. Today I'll be looking into adding two versions (small and large) that use different amounts of power and cool at vastly different rates, meaning the small version wont be able to approach absolute zero hopefully xD I'll also be increasing the research cost and requirements.

Facepunch

Evmeister

I have already begun plans for military and defense applications, this is going to be fun! Plus will require some creativity.

starburst98

you could have a detached exhaust thing. just quantum tunnels the heat to it. make it and the 8 spaces around it be super heated, even when out in the open. someone trying to melee attach the defenseless machine will have a bad time.

Mussels

Quote from: Evmeister on October 04, 2016, 08:36:10 PM
I have already begun plans for military and defense applications, this is going to be fun! Plus will require some creativity.

oh my god, the cold deathtraps we can create!

alaestor

Update mv0.1.0 (view Change Log for specific more info)

Slight improvements to balance and I've added "small" and "large" variants of the quantum cooler. Each with their own unique graphics. It should stand to reason; the Large costs a lot more in both resources and power.

Joshwoo70

could you switch hosts? mega dislikes me as i exceded the download limit and forces me to signup...
PS the reason i do not wanna signup is due to the old site of mega (some older peeps should know)

alaestor

Quote from: Joshwoo70 on October 05, 2016, 02:40:55 AM
could you switch hosts? [...] the reason i do not wanna signup is due to the old site of mega

I'll add the latest version as an attachment. As for mega, I'm not aware of them selling user information or anything like that... I'm aware that megaupload had legal battles due to piracy, but other than that; care to explain your reasoning more indepth? Anyways, for future use you may just want to use a temporary email site to register.