[1.0] Quantum Cooling (and heating)

Started by alaestor, October 03, 2016, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazacik

Could you also make a Quantum Heater?

alaestor

Quote from: mazacik on October 05, 2016, 08:23:50 AM

The point of quantum cooling was to have an exhaustless cooler... heaters don't need to exhaust :D
If you just want a heater that packs a bigger punch, check out the furnace mod.

mazacik

Quote from: alaestor on October 05, 2016, 12:51:36 PM
Quote from: mazacik on October 05, 2016, 08:23:50 AM

The point of quantum cooling was to have an exhaustless cooler... heaters don't need to exhaust :D
If you just want a heater that packs a bigger punch, check out the furnace mod.

That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank You

mazacik

There's one disadvantage to the furnace mod though. There is not a way to set the desired temperature, it simply continues to heat the area up to the point where everything burns.

alaestor

I've updated the main thread post with a FileDropper.com mirror, along with a clickable link to the attached file.

Quote from: mazacik on October 13, 2016, 04:28:45 PM
There's one disadvantage to the furnace mod though. There is not a way to set the desired temperature, it simply continues to heat the area up to the point where everything burns.
If there is enough demand, I may add quantum heaters.
However, I haven't played rimworld in a while so my desire to add functionality is pretty dead at the moment. I also feel like the point of this was to be exhaustless, and merely adding heaters wouldn't justify renaming the mod and all the effort of drawing another texture. These coolers are less efficient than normal coolers to make up for the fact that they are extremely powerful and exhaustless. I'm not exactly sure what the trade-offs could possibly justify for just a bigger heater.

alaestor

«Temple»

I'm looking for a simple 1 way cooler, like how the heater works, put it in a room with no output and it will cool it.  This is a cool mod but think you could make a lesser version?  If not its fine, I'm just currently looking for a good art program so I can change the heaters red/orange pixels to blue/cyan.

alaestor

Quote from: Hunter00064 on December 23, 2016, 05:57:31 AM
I'm looking for a simple 1 way cooler, like how the heater works, put it in a room with no output and it will cool it.  This is a cool mod but think you could make a lesser version?  If not its fine, I'm just currently looking for a good art program so I can change the heaters red/orange pixels to blue/cyan.

Prototype Quantum Cooler has been implemented in mv0.2.0. It's not quite as strong as a default rimworld cooler, and is a bit more expensive to construct, but requires no additional research (at the moment).

---
I wanted these to be rather pricey to balance out the fact that you no longer would require exhaust tunnels in mountain bases and the likes... However, I'll look into making a "prototype" quantum cooler that doesn't require research and is far less expensive. For now, you can modify the values yourself to make it less powerful. I'd suggest modifying the eps to -15 or -21, and lower the electricity & resource costs to match the AC unit.

Love

Quote from: alaestor on December 23, 2016, 07:42:34 AMHowever, I'll look into making a "prototype" quantum cooler that doesn't require research and is far less expensive.

Erm.. I'd have to stop using it if that were the case, that sounds overpowered. Ventless cooling definitely merits research...

alaestor

I've just updated to Mod Version 0.2.0 which adds a Prototype Cooler.
It's cheaper than other quantum coolers, but is also far weaker.

I'm looking forward to input on it's balance
*caugh* didn't see Love's objection until I pushed update *caugh*

Quote from: Love on December 23, 2016, 07:43:51 AM
Quote from: alaestor on December 23, 2016, 07:42:34 AMHowever, I'll look into making a "prototype" quantum cooler that doesn't require research and is far less expensive.

Erm.. I'd have to stop using it if that were the case, that sounds overpowered. Ventless cooling definitely merits research...

WELL THEN ! Do I have some bad news for you...
nah, I think it'll be fine.

Give it a try and tell me what you think. It's nearly half the power of the default rimworld cooler, but I'm still thinking about reducing it further to help balance it more. As it stands at -11eps (see original post for comparison) it has the worst efficiency by FAR and cant keep negative temps in an 8x8 room with 30 degree weather and 1 thick walls. I think a good balance is for it is to not go bellow 15 or 20 in 30 degree weather without insulation, but it's not quite that weak yet.

I'd really hate to include another research - but I'd also dislike including it in with the Quantum Cooling research as that's pretty mid/late-game tech...

If this is overpowered, my current solutions are one or more of the following:
> Reduce cooling capacity to between -5 and -10 EPS
> Increase Steel required to 120
> Increase power consumption to between 250 and 300

So, I'm specifically looking forward to your opinion as you voiced an objection at the concept.

Love

welp

I'm sorry, I just think it's silly to be able to build something so advanced without researching it. No amount of steel cost is gonna change that.

Torres

Please find some time to make some sort of refrigerator, my poor pawns got to keep making meals because if I plant them near the seating/dining area they go bad in a few days. And I if I want to keep them for long they have to go all the way to the freezer room.

Why hasn't anyone made a simple fridge mod yet? something you can keep in the kitchen or near the hall? :D

alaestor

Quote from: Torres on December 23, 2016, 09:44:35 AM
Please find some time to make some sort of refrigerator, (...)

Well there's this on the steam workshop. It's currently outdated (A15) but should be exactly what you're looking for! If I was going to make something, it would basically be exactly that. (#copyright)

Quote from: Love on December 23, 2016, 09:38:51 AM
I'm sorry, I just think it's silly to be able to build something so advanced without researching it. No amount of steel cost is gonna change that.
Well, I was more leaning towards the whole 'unable to cool bellow 20c in 30c weather' thing so it couldnt be used for fridges and large areas. But if that's unacceptable, I may end up putting it in with the quantum research (although it would damage its accessibility early game...)

The more feedback the better!!

Pichu0102

I was wondering, maybe instead of just quantum cooling, the prototype could also have a heater built in so it's an all in one device that tries to maintain a certain temperature by heating or cooling, depending on the temp.

alaestor

Quote from: Pichu0102 on December 25, 2016, 10:14:53 PM
I was wondering, maybe instead of just quantum cooling, the prototype could also have a heater built in so it's an all in one device that tries to maintain a certain temperature by heating or cooling, depending on the temp.
That's an interesting idea; however it would (likely) require C# DLLs, and I absolutely refuse to write or compile C# code. As it stands, Quantum Coolers are actually just hacky XML definitions (based on the default heater) that pump out negative heat.

I'll play around and see what can be done with XML definitions; but it's unlikely such a device will be possible.
Other than that; what's your opinion on the Prototype Cooler in terms of balance? I have an update ready that reduces its efficiency so a single unit can't maintain negative temperatures, and added research for it that's a prerequisite to the main quantum cooling research.

I'm still looking for more feedback on it's current balance before I upload a nerf.