[A16] Zorba's Miscellaneous Tweakery Mods

Started by ZorbaTHut, October 05, 2016, 02:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: Litcube on October 23, 2016, 05:09:13 PM
I use all of these.  These are rad.  You seem like the kind of guy who would implement, say, a mod where you can set default medicine for prisoners so medics don't poorly patch them up with nothing.  As a hypothetical, of course.
Quote from: ZorbaTHut on October 23, 2016, 04:27:47 AM
Current tentative list of upcoming mods, depending on if I can get time, and in no particular order:

* Step Away From The Medicine

You know. Purely hypothetically. Yep.

(But don't hold your breath, I need to come up with a better way of storing mod-related data, and my day job/side job/home maintenance is pretty packed right now.)

Nictis

I know what I'm doing with this...

I'm giving this to like, all the twitch streamers.

bullet

very useful mods. We need more macro! How about some copy\paste functions for work tables settings?  ::)

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: bullet on October 25, 2016, 05:38:25 PM
very useful mods. We need more macro! How about some copy\paste functions for work tables settings?  ::)

Someone's already done that one! :)

picatso

Awesome mods, I look forward to rabbit swarms, though I don't know how I feel about possibly killing many feral cute kitties :D.
Keep them coming!

Zhentar

Quote from: picatso on November 03, 2016, 12:55:09 AM
Awesome mods, I look forward to rabbit swarms, though I don't know how I feel about possibly killing many feral cute kitties :D.
Keep them coming!

I present to you: The Disgruntled Rabbits of Caerbannog!

This takes the original, and adds a restriction: only animals with a wildness of 35% or qualify, which effectively filters out all pets and farm animals. I wanted a version without pets because  :'( and without farm animals because I think the value from taming the survivors would be unbalanced. It also makes the the manhunter event the inverse of the 'farm animal joins' event, which I think is a nice symmetry and a bit more consistent with what "wildness" represents.

Supercheese

Hey just wanted to let you know: your manual download link for OSHA Compliance points us to the Github releases -- but that download only has the source available, no compiled .dll.

ZorbaTHut

Time for another mod!

This fixes an issue I had with a colony that had a lot of animals. Combat was annoying. Too annoying.

More mods will be coming out as I get them finished up - probably soon!

Coming up next: the most finicky mod I have ever written

Quote from: Supercheese on November 20, 2016, 11:31:13 PM
Hey just wanted to let you know: your manual download link for OSHA Compliance points us to the Github releases -- but that download only has the source available, no compiled .dll.

Whoops! Fixed - I must have forgotten to upload the file.

ZorbaTHut

And it's new-mod time again!

Currently slated for release, and I really mean I'm just putting icons and descriptions on 'em before unleashing them:

* Let's Be Honest Here
* I Can Fix It!
* Step Away From The Medicine
* A World Without Hat
* Silly Builder, Surgery is for Doctors

Let's see if I can get this done before A16 hits and I have to modify all of them

Thundercraft

I'm very tempted to try Look At Me. But...

Quote from: ZorbaTHut on October 05, 2016, 02:20:04 AMCompatibility
Compatible with . . . uh, some things? Yeah, this is a complicated one. Likely compatible with anything that doesn't modify right-click menus or object reservations.

This is the stickler part for me, as I have a lot of mods installed.

You mention right-click menus and object reservations. But what about other mods which modify work priorities? What about mods like Refactored Work Priorities, Hand Me That Brick, Cooks Can Refuel, Work Smarter, Please Clean The Mine, or Smart Snow Clearance? Those are the kind I worry about.

Also, can anyone name any mods which change right-click menus or object reservations? I can't seem to think of any. Except... I'm sure that I've seen some that change right-click menus. What about Follow Me? It allows us to right click on a colonists so the camera follows him or her. Or, what about the Achtung portion of Combat Realism? It gives more control over colonists. Example: "...select three brawlers and right click an enemy, then choose 'melee'."

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: Thundercraft on December 02, 2016, 11:11:54 AM
But what about other mods which modify work priorities?

Should be fine!

Rimworld is a very data-driven game. Most "gameplay" things are defined in .xml files as information. When you're right-clicking, say, a stove, the code it's running does something like:

* Find all possible work types
* For each possible work type, see if it applies to this building
* If it does, see if the selected character can do it
* If so, make a little routine to assign the selected character to that job
* Add an entry to the right-click menu pointing at that routine

I'm The Worker Now mucks with that third step and fifth step quite a bit, but it does so in a rather abstract way; it just interfaces with the general concept of "jobs", and it mostly doesn't touch the jobs themselves. It should be 100% fine with things that change job implementation, things that change job requirements and priorities, or things that add jobs; as far the mod's concerned, they're just more jobs, and all jobs are kinda the same.

The stuff it's likely to conflict with are things that add new behaviors that aren't jobs, or that modify how the menu itself is generated. For example, it's got explicit support for the comms console; there isn't a general "comms console job" that it prioritizes in the normal system, that's a special beast. Similarly, rescue/capture is special and taking drugs are special, although, again, the code doesn't care what the drug is, it just interfaces with the generalized concept of "drug".

So tl;dr: if it's just tweaks to a job that can be toggled on and off in the "work" pane, it's probably going to be okay.

But honestly, give it a try! The game contains very little persistent state along these lines and tends to be good at recovering from errors; keep a backup, but if it turns out it doesn't work, you can *probably* just disable the mod and keep on playin'.

Quote from: Thundercraft on December 02, 2016, 11:11:54 AM
What about Follow Me? It allows us to right click on a colonists so the camera follows him or her. Or, what about the Achtung portion of Combat Realism? It gives more control over colonists. Example: "...select three brawlers and right click an enemy, then choose 'melee'."

Follow Me: I actually can't figure out how this works, but I also don't see anything likely to conflict.

Achtung portion of Combat Realism: Will conflict. Achtung intercepts an earlier function and will (almost) completely disable I'm The Worker Now. For what it's worth, I was considering implementing some of the same stuff, and I may eventually roll it into I'm The Worker Now on its own.

(The right-click-to-melee part is fine, it's "the context menu contains all possible actions regardless of the current drafting status of the selected colonist" that kills it.)

faltonico

14m1337

Hi Zorba, could you please consider working together with AlcoholV regarding a combination of your Crafting Hysteresis and his mod Enhanced Crafting? This would be really great!
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: 14m1337 on December 02, 2016, 10:56:50 PM
Hi Zorba, could you please consider working together with AlcoholV regarding a combination of your Crafting Hysteresis and his mod Enhanced Crafting? This would be really great!

Looks like he's already reimplemented the same functionality :)

FoxXeL

just... simply awesome!! This should really be in vanilla, except for the animal following because that is a matter of preferences.