[A16] Zorba's Miscellaneous Tweakery Mods

Started by ZorbaTHut, October 05, 2016, 02:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZorbaTHut

Zorba's Miscellanous Tweakery Mods

Most of my mods are intended to make small tweaks to the game. The game is still recognizably Rimworld and should still have roughly the same balance as vanilla Rimworld. These are (mostly) not make-the-game-easier mods! Your characters will still die, they will still be permanently crippled, you will still have to choose between keeping around dead weight and puttin' a cap in the back of their head.

These are make-the-game-slightly-less-irritating mods. And they're generally not big mods, either.

Crafting Hysteresis - Reduces the amount of churn caused by your crafters running around and topping off stores.
OSHA Compliance - Deters colonists from walking through already-triggered traps, preventing a rare situation where a trap would be reset at the wrong moment and unexpectedly behead a colonist.
Look At Me, I'm The Worker Now - Makes the prioritize-work feature a lot more powerful, automatically interrupting other colonists and even allowing prioritization of jobs that aren't currently enabled.
Silly Builder, Surgery is for Doctors - Changes mechanoid surgery to take colonists with Doctoring enabled. Note that mechanoid surgery already uses the Medicine skill and has never used Construction.
I Can Fix It! - Destroyed buildings will automatically place a replacement blueprint that a builder will use to patch things up (eventually).
Step Away From The Medicine - Allows you to set medical defaults for colonists, allies, enemies, and animals.

Slightly larger gameplay-modifying mods!

The Mad Rabbits of Caerbannog - Allows any animal to appear in manhunter packs.

Cosmetic-only mods!

Let's Be Honest Here (scroll down after hitting link) - Space weed.
A World Without Hat - Hides people's hats in the quickbar, but not in-world.

More to come!

----

A15-only mods that are now otherwise obsolete:

It's Dangerous to Come Along - Prevents assigned animals from following their master when drafted (and, hopefully, from ending up dead by standing in crossfire.) Obsoleted by the new pet management options.
Raindrops No Longer Fall On My Head - Tweaks construction priority order to make roofing a lot less irritating. Obsoleted by Tynan literally doing exactly the same thing in the game.

----

Like what you see here? Support me on Patreon!

ZorbaTHut

Crafting Hysteresis

Description:
Are you tired of your cooks leaping into action the instant someone decides they want a snack? Would you like them to just calm down for a bit and stop panicking that your meal stores are at 98% instead of 100%?

Crafting Hysteresis is for you! This allows you to make crafting bills that pause themselves once they're complete, waking up only once your stocks drop below a certain number. Now your chefs can fill your storehouses, then go do other things for a while without being interrupted!

Does not require a new save game (look below for notes)

Instructions

This mod adds a few new options to the Bill Details menu, awkwardly crammed into the bottom-left corner and defaulting to off. Check "pause on completion" if you want the bill to pause when it finishes its current task. Check "resume on low stock" if you want the bill to restart when stocks get low. Generally, I'm expecting people will use both of these, in conjuction with the "do until you have X" build mode, as shown above.

With the above settings, your cooks will make food until you reach ten simple meals, pause until you're below five, and then resume cooking back up to ten, forever. While the task is paused, your cook will happily run around your base, cleaning boomalope blood off the walls and whatever else you have them assigned to do! Ain't that grand?

Note that "paused" is separate from "suspended" - you can suspend a paused job and it'll cheerfully wait forever for you to un-suspend it. There's currently no way to manually unpause, but I don't know if anyone cares.

Download
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=750111404&tscn=1471994029
Manual install: https://github.com/zorbathut/craftinghysteresis/releases

Compatibility
Crafting Hysteresis should be compatible with anything that does not modify crafting code. It will work just fine with non-code mods that add new recipes and/or new crafting stations.

Mods that add new bill models (for example, Fish Industry's Aquaculture basins) may conflict, although this will generally just mean the Hysteresis behavior will not be supported on those new objects. Mods that add new bill detail dialogs (if there are any) will probably not work at all.

CH can be added to an existing game without issues, though existing bills won't gain the new options. You'll need to delete those bills and recreate them. I strongly recommend backing up your game, however.

Colony Manager: Colony Manager has its own bill dialog, and compatibility would need to happen on the Colony Manager side (or, more likely, just reimplement the behavior of CH within Colony Manager).

Balance Notes

This mod likely makes the game slightly easier. Technically, everything it does could be accomplished through micromanagement, but who's got time for that? It will make your crafters slightly more efficient; in theory, this applies to all forms of bulk crafting, but realistically this most applies to cooking (and perhaps kibble making). The end effect is that your cooks are slightly better at working other jobs into their cooking work. As such, it's most likely to be mechanically useful on colonies small enough that they don't need a fulltime cook, although it may be cosmetically useful on all colonies.

License
Crafting Hysteresis is provided under the MIT license. Go wild, folks!

ZorbaTHut

Raindrops No Longer Fall On My Head

Description:
Guys, guys! The building is done! Isn't that great? I mean, the walls are done. That's the most important part, of course! I'm going to go work on these other walls now. In fact I'm going to go work on literally everything besides the roof.

Including tearing down this old building! Just gonna tear down the walls here, which, as we all know, is the most important part of a building, and oh god the roof has fallen on me and I am dead, how could this happen, who could have foreseen it.

----

This mod changes the priorities for roof deconstruction and roof construction. Roof deconstruction is moved to the top of the construction queue; roof construction is moved right above building objects.

I have not found any situations so far where this order is undesirable.

Let us never speak of it again.

Does not require a new save game - this can be transparently added and removed from any savegame you already have.

Download
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=775711693
Manual install: https://github.com/zorbathut/raindrops/releases

Compatibility
Compatible with anything that doesn't modify construction ordering. All the mods that do so, that I'm aware of, are either supersets of this mod or can be used to be a superset. So there shouldn't be a problem.

Balance Notes

This mod makes the game slightly easier. Everything it does can in theory be done with micromanagement, but it's a real pain. On the other hand, it makes the game slightly easier by making your pawns slightly less braindamaged (literally, depending on how well they do from the roof-falling-on-head damage roll). I don't think it's a significant change, it just makes things a lot less annoying.

License
Raindrops No Longer Fall On My Head is provided under the MIT license. Go wild, folks!

Let's Be Honest Here

Description:
Space weed!

Space weed.

Space weed? Space, weed space. Weed. Space weed space weed, space weed, space.

"Weed? Space weed. Space weed!"

Space weed space weed, space weed. Space weed, space, weed space weed.

Space weed.

Does not require a new save game - this can be transparently added and removed from any savegame you already have.

Download
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=811575354
Manual install: https://github.com/zorbathut/letsbehonesthere/releases

Compatibility
Compatible with everything that doesn't modify the text in space weed. English-only; if you'd like to submit a translation into another language, please let me know!

Balance Notes
Purely cosmetic. No balance implications.

License
Let's Be Honest Here is provided under the MIT license. Go wild, folks!

ZorbaTHut

The Mad Rabbits of Caerbannog

Description:
So.

Manhunter packs.

Did you know there's a hardcoded list of animals that will show up in manhunter packs?

Not a long list, either. Boomalopes, boomrats, wargs, boars, muffalo, rhinos, and elephants.

Kinda boring, in my opinion. What if I want to fight off a herd of ravenous alpacas? What if the region's cobra population gets, like, super annoyed at me? What if a ship crashed, full of cats, and they're hungry?

And what about the humble rabbit?

So: I fixed it. Now any animal can show up in manhunter packs.

Problem.

Solved.

Download
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=779592154
Manual install: https://github.com/zorbathut/caerbannog/releases

Compatibility
Compatible with anything that doesn't modify the Manhunter Pack incident.

Balance Notes
Oh man. I have no idea.

It turns out that swarms of things are dangerous. I saw a trade caravan torn apart by yorkies. Admittedly, they mostly tore themselves apart, thanks to crossfire while fighting yorkies. But still. They lost. The yorkies won.

Fighting swarms of animals seems to require a very different strategy than usual. The humble killbox is frequently not sufficient - squirrels are hard to hit, man! And so, in a sense, this - counterintuitively - means this mod makes the game harder.

On the other hand, you get a ton of meat and leather out of it. Enormous amounts. Because things like alpacas have a low combat rating, and they have a lot of meat.

My gut feeling is that this mod makes the game harder in environments where food is abundant, and easier in environments where food is scarce, but I could, easily, be wrong.

Finally, one warning: The game doesn't seem to handle pathfinding of large numbers of creatures well, especially if they're going through bottlenecks. This mod will cause your game to slow way down while a manhunter pack is working its way through your defenses. Not much I can do about that, and it shouldn't crash, so just grin and bear it. You get to watch chickens kill your colonists in slow motion! Ain't that grand. It all clears itself up once one side or another is dead.

License
The Mad Rabbits of Caerbannog is provided under the MIT license. Go wild, folks!

ZorbaTHut

OSHA Compliance

Description:
"Hey! Guys! Guys! Look at this!"

Emmie ran up, holding the remnants of a battered, burnt, and rain-damaged book. Barely visible on the cover were the words "ccupational Safety and Health Administration Guideli".

"It's a book, Emmie. Unreadable, like all the others, I assume. We get them all the time. Toss it in the generator."

"What? Sorry, you're talking to my missing ear."

"TOSS IT IN THE GENERATOR."

"No, look! This page has writing on it!"

They clustered around to look at the single readable page. It said:

"1927.35(b) - Human-lethal traps shall be treated as hazardous regardless of whether they are believed to be active. This prevents casualties caused by poorly-timed trap reset events."

"Huh. In retrospect, that's not a bad idea", Chef said, closing his remaining eye in thought.

----

This mod deters your colonists from walking through traps that have already been triggered. This (mostly) fixes a rare situation where a colonist decides to walk through a trap right as it's being reset, and ends up literally losing their head.

Download
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=785754949
Manual install: https://github.com/zorbathut/oshacompliance/releases

Compatibility
Compatible with anything that doesn't modify trap pathing costs.

Balance Notes
This certainly makes the game slightly easier. You could accomplish the same thing with a bit of micromanagement, of course. But on the other hand, traps are already arguably overpowered, and this sure doesn't help.

License
OSHA Compliance is provided under the MIT license. Go wild, folks!

Silly Builder, Surgery is for Doctors

Description:
Geckulon Decktar's log, Mayor of Togetherness's Crag

Date: 14th of Summer, 5501

We've returned from our -

Now that I'm thinking about it, since when is "summer" a month? I must remember to talk to my astronomers about this.

Let me start over.

We've returned from our last trip to the charmingly named "Fartburg". As usual, the colonists offloaded a huge amount of nearly unusable clothing, several hats made from a rather suspicious form of leather, and "Pemmican, wink wink". It is unclear what makes this different from normal pemmican, aside from the addition of knowing glances and several nods at the hats.

In most ways, the Fartburgian colonists have done a marvelous job of establishing a foothold on this barren rock we call home. In the last year they've built a massive freezer as well as thick walls surrounding the entire colony. Their industriousness cannot be understated, which makes the upcoming events all the more confusing.

On our trip inwards, we met several scythers lying on the ground and slowly rocking back and forth. They were absolutely covered in moss, suggesting that they had been left in the elements for at least two months.

Which means they've been left there since Winter. Which is, as we all know, a month. Winter. A month. Yes.

Anyway. Continuing.

Upon sighting our caravan, several of the Fartburgian citizens left the base and ran to the scythers, carrying bags of medical tools, and proceeded to clumsily tear off the scythers' limbs. Several of the blades were damaged during this action. I asked if they had someone better at surgical manipulations, as perhaps more of the valuable limbs would survive intact, but their response was something along the lines of "you're crazy, surgery on mechanoids is for builders, not people who are skilled at surgery".

(I say "something along the lines of" because he was nearly drowned out by sounds of tearing metal. I may have the exact wording wrong.)

Black, my right-hand man, suggested that perhaps they had no better doctors, but I remembered a skilled doctor by the name of Emu who was tending minor injuries on our last visit, three months ago, in Autumn, which is definitely a month and not a season.

Black suggested we set up our trade post directly in the middle of all their turrets to ensure that we take as much damage as possible in the event of a raid. For reasons that I frankly can no longer comprehend, I agreed, and as we waited for their leader Chef to arrive, we saw Emu herself walking out of a building carrying a freshly-removed lung.

This was concerning until we remembered that lungs, like all body parts, don't rot or biodegrade in any way, and so naturally we offered Emu a large quantity of silver for her still-warm spare lung, which she accepted immediately.

After purchasing the scyther blades and other miscellany mentioned above, we suggested to Chef and Emu that perhaps Emu should do the scyther surgery in the future. Chef gave us a dark look, mumbled "I've tried", and retreated to his room; we did not see him for the remainder of our visit.

As we left, we passed a large fully-automated battle tank lying on the ground watching the stars, and a sarcophagus that commemorated a Fartburg colonist walking around naked while watched by oysters. The epitaph read:

HERE LIES PUSSYCAT
SHE DIED THE WAY SHE LIVED
WALKING AROUND NAKED AND GETTING MAULED BY A PANTHER

We spent several minutes admiring it, and can only hope to purchase art of such beauty on our next visit.

----

Addendum:

Reading over this log entry a second time, I am beginning to believe that my entire existence is a drug-induced hallucination.

----

See, there's this weird subtlety in how Rimworld jobs work.

The job definition says which work type is used for the job. So, for example, the "mechanoid surgery" job uses the Repair work type.

Which seems reasonable.

But there isn't necessarily any connection between what work type it *says* it uses and what skill it actually *does* use.

Mechanoid surgery is the same as all other surgery. Like all surgery, it uses Medicine.

Which is weird. Because we're talking mechanoids here. But that's what it does.

Changing it to *actually* use the Repair work type is quite complicated. But changing it to correctly link to the Medicine skill is simple. And, let's be honest, you probably have more skilled construction workers than you do doctors, so it's not like we're making things easier for you.

So now, your medicine-incompetent workers won't go try to remove scyther limbs. They'll fix stuff like they should, and your doctors will go take care of removing those pricey scyther bits.

Download
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814898788
Manual install: https://github.com/zorbathut/sillybuilder/releases

Compatibility
Compatible with everything that doesn't modify the definition of the Mechanoid Surgery job.

Balance Notes
If you don't micromanage the game, this makes the game slightly easier, since you'll no longer get thoroughly inappropriate pawns doing mechanoid surgery. If you do micromanage the game, this makes the game no easier or harder, but slightly more convenient.

License
Silly Builder, Surgery is for Doctors is provided under the MIT license. Go wild, folks!

ZorbaTHut

It's Dangerous to Come Along

Description:
"Fido. Fido! Stay, boy. Stay. Stay! Fido, stay! No, over there. By the corn. Go! Go to the corn! Okay. Hold on. Okay. Come here, Fido. Come here. Now . . . Stay! Stay! No, stop! Ack! No licking! Fido! Sit! Stay! Sit! Dammit, Fido!"

"Zoya?"

"Yeah, Chef?"

"What are you doing?"

"I'm tryin' to get Fido to stay here. It's too dangerous out there, fighting that infestation. Fido'll get hurt."

"I can just assign him away from you."

"But . . . Fido! He's mah animal! I can't leave him, I'll go berserk, and the fire spirits will start talkin' to me again!"

"Okay. Yes. That would be bad. But it's just for a few minutes. That'll be okay, right?"

". . . Yeah. Ah guess. Just don't forget, okay?"

"Okay. I promise."

"Good."

"Oh, and, uh, Zoya?"

"Yeah?"

"Why did you name a camel 'Fido'?"

----

I got annoyed at pets following drafted pawns around. This is almost never the thing I want, so I kept unassigning pets, then reassigning them, and it was a huge pain.

This mod makes it so that pets will no longer follow drafted pawns. In an attempt to preserve the behavior where pets will protect their masters from kidnapping, they *will* head over to their master if they're downed, for whatever reason.

This has the unintended side effect that characters undergoing surgery will be surrounded by their pets until they wake up.

Unintended, but hilarious, and kind of cute.

I left it in.

Download
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=806725083
Manual install: https://github.com/zorbathut/itsdangerous/releases

Compatibility
Compatible with anything that doesn't modify the animal follow-master conditional or forbidden zone handling.

Balance Notes
If you have a perfect memory, this doesn't make the game any easier. If you do, it probably makes the game a tiny bit easier.

If you really enjoy using animal packs sicced on enemies, this probably makes the game harder, since that becomes effectively impossible. But I don't know of anyone who really makes use of that.

In any case, if you want to do that, just, y'know, don't install this mod.

License
It's Dangerous to Come Along is provided under the MIT license. Go wild, folks!

ZorbaTHut

Look At Me, I'm The Worker Now

Description:
"Emu!"

"Yeah?"

"Patch up this prisoner, will you?"

"Can't."

". . . Why not?"

"Zoya's doing it."

". . . Oooookay. Zoya! Zoya! ZOYA!"

"CHEF, WHAT'S UP?"

"DON'T TEND THE PRISONER."

"WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YA. I'M BY THE GENERATORS."

"DON'T. TEND. THE. PRISONER."

"OKAY, BOSS!"

"Alright. Emu!"

"Yeah?"

"*Now* you can patch up this prisoner."

"Nope."

"Why not now?"

"I'm not a doctor."

"Okay. Alright. Emu? You're a doctor now."

"Cool."

"Patch up this prisoner."

"You got it."

"Great. Fine. Black, you patch up the other prisoner."

"Ooh, I'd love to, but I can't."

"Why not?!"

"Zoya's doin' it."

----

Chef is hiding in his room.

The final straw was: Talked to fellow colonists

You know that whole "prioritize work" mechanic?

You know how there's a lot of things that can prevent prioritizing work, and you have to go fix that thing, then bring up the popup again? And if you just needed someone to haul an item, but they didn't have hauling active, you have to turn it on, then get them to haul the item, then turn it off again, and it's just a big pain.

I don't like big pains.

If another colonist is already doing the job, it'll now interrupt them and assign the job to the desired colonist. If the desired colonist doesn't have the right job assigned, that's OK, they'll go do the job anyway.

This is very convenient when you're trying to assign quick work to a bunch of colonists, like "build a really important structure" or "haul some stuff" or "butcher a corpse, I don't care if you're bad at it, just get it done right now."

Caveats:

This won't let you assign jobs if the pawn is incapable of that work - it's meant as a convenience feature, nothing else. It doesn't seem to work well for mining (future updates may fix this.) It is *by far* the most finicky and complicated thing I've written; it may be buggy. It probably is.

Download
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=810339752
Manual install: https://github.com/zorbathut/imtheworkernow/releases

Compatibility
Compatible with . . . uh, some things? Yeah, this is a complicated one. Likely compatible with anything that doesn't modify right-click menus or object reservations.

Not compatible with Combat Realism. Sorry - we're both trying to change the same code.

Balance Notes
In my experience, I'm only forcing jobs when the game is paused. This means that this doesn't make the game any easier but sure does make the game less irritating.

License
Look At Me, I'm The Worker Now is provided under the MIT license. Go wild, folks!

ZorbaTHut

I Can Fix It!

Description:
"Sparkles?"

"Yeah, boss?"

"Remind me why we're locked in a closet."

"There's wargs outside, boss. They'd probably eat us."

"Wargs."

"Yep."

"Why are there wargs outside?"

"There was a gap in the wall, so they just, y'know, came right in."

"They just came right in?"

"Sure thing, boss. Just walked through the wall."

"How did they walk through the wall?"

"Well, there was a hole in the wall."

"And why was there a hole in the wall?"

"That was the raiders, boss. Blew it up with grenades."

"The raiders. Got it."

"Sure thing. Can't stand those raiders."

"Sparkles?"

"Yeah, boss?"

"Did I, or did I not, tell you to repair the wall?"

"Sure did! Patched it all up in a few hours, just like you asked."

"Then *why was there a hole in the wall*?"

"Well, they destroyed that part of the wall, boss."

"And so you didn't repair it?"

"Can't repair it, boss. It's destroyed. Not there anymore."

"Could you . . . build a new wall, maybe? In the same spot as the old one?"

"Oh, yeah. Could've done that, I suppose."

"Why didn't you?"

"Didn't tell me to build a new wall, boss. Just repair the old wall."

"Right. Got it."

"Y'know . . . boss . . ."

". . . Yes?"

"Just occurred to me. Maybe I should have built a new wall?"

". . ."

"You know. Where the old one was."

". . ."

"And then the wargs wouldn't have gotten in."

". . ."

"And eaten our dogs."

". . ."

"And trapped us in this closet."

". . ."

"Maybe that would have been a good idea, boss?"

". . . Yes, Sparkles. That would have been a good idea."

"Great, boss! I'll do that next time."

"Wonderful. You do that."

"Glad I could help!"

"Sparkles?"

"Yeah, boss?"

"How are you with melee weapons?"

"Terrible, boss!"

"Perfect. Here, take this spear."

Destroyed buildings will now leave behind a construction ghost, meaning that your builders will automatically rebuild things once they get a chance. Also, due to how bright construction plans are, it'll be a lot easier to see what's been destroyed.

Friends don't let friends get eaten by wargs.

Download
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=817231829
Manual install: https://github.com/zorbathut/icanfixit/releases

Compatibility
Compatible with anything that doesn't modify the behavior of object destruction. This shouldn't be many things; there's at least one thing I can do to make it even more compatible if necessary, though, so report conflicts.

Balance Notes
This is purely a memory aid, for people whose memories are like a sieve.

License
I Can Fix It! is provided under the MIT license. Go wild, folks!

ZorbaTHut

Step Away From The Medicine

Description:
"Ahlright, lemme take a look at that. Hmmm. Leg's been shot a few times, but nuthin' I cahn't fix! How about some glitterworld medicine for that? Ahl's just walk over here and . . ."

"Zoya!"

"Yeah, Chef? What can I do for ya?"

"What are you doing, Zoya?"

"Treatin' our guests! Least ah can do, given what they've been through."

"No, Zoya. The medicine. Why are you giving them our best and rarest medicine?"

"Well, they're hurt, so ah'm gonna heal them. And they're friendly, so they get the best!"

"Nobody gets the best without authorization. Nobody. Herbal medicine, Zoya."

"Okay, okay. Herbal medicine, pack the wound, stitch it closed . . . done! Now, who's up next? Looks like ah rat bite! Lemme just grab the glitterworld medicine."

"ZOYA."

"What?"

"Herbal medicine. Grab the herbal medicine."

"Okay, okay! Here, this'll just take ah minute . . . Done! Now, one last person. Well, that's nuthin' major! Just a bruise. I'll just pick up this glitterworld medicine, and . . ."

"ZOYA! STOP!"

Tired of your doctors using the wrong medicine entirely?

This lets you set global defaults for colonists, friendlies, and enemies, plus different options for humans and animals. Never waste your glitterworld medicine again!

Does not require a new save game - this can be transparently added to any savegame you already have. Unfortunately, it currently cannot be removed.

Download
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=819520926
Manual install: https://github.com/zorbathut/stepaway/releases and you'll also have to install HugsLib

Compatibility
Should be compatible with anything that doesn't modify the actual medicine setter widget or the faction change code.

Balance Notes
Like most of my mods, all the benefit of this mod can be granted with perfect memory. If, like me, you don't have perfect memory, this will probably prevent you from wasting medicine in a few really stupid ways.

License
Step Away From The Medicine is provided under the MIT license. Go wild, folks!

ZorbaTHut

A World Without Hat

Description:
"TX-50? You around?"

I AM HERE. HELLO, HUMAN. HOW MAY I HELP YOU.

"Yeah, so, uh. There's this . . . thing . . . that happened. With our clothes. You know anything about it?"

INDEED. IT WAS REQUESTED OF ME BY ZOYA.

". . . Why?"

SHE SPOKE OF A WONDEROUS REALITY. A REALITY OF JOY. A REALITY OF HAPPINESS. A REALITY WHERE ALL WOULD LIVE IN HAPPY UNITY.

"Gonna admit, I don't see the relevance.."

SHE SPOKE OF A WORLD WHERE WE COULD FIND JOY IN THE SMALLEST THINGS AND THE LARGEST THINGS. FOR EXAMPLE. DO YOU REMEMBER SEVERAL MONTHS AGO. THE CARAVAN THAT ARRIVED.

"Yeah. Yeah, I do. Why?"

DO YOU REMEMBER THE ENTITY KNOWN AS BLACK. HE WAS WEARING CLOTHES.

"Most humans wear clothes, TX. But, yes, I remember him."

DO YOU REMEMBER HIS HAIR.

"What?"

DO YOU REMEMEBER. HIS HAIR.

"I can honestly say that I do not remember his hair."

YES. EXACTLY.

"Uh."

HIS HAIR WAS GORGEOUS. IT FLOWED LIKE A RIVER OF DARKNESS. BUT ALSO LIKE A RIVER. IN DARKNESS.

". . ."

FOR YOU SEE. HE WAS WEARING. A HAT.

"I. Yes. That explains why I don't remember his hair, I suppose."

I SAW THROUGH HIS HAT. TO THE HAIR BENEATH. AND NOW YOU CAN DO THE SAME.

"Okay . . . I suppose that's true. I imagine his hat, like all of our hats, is now invisible. But why would I want to see his hair?"

YOU CAN NOW APPRECIATE ALL MANNERS OF HAIR. ZOYA'S FLOWING LOCKS. EMU'S WHITE CURLS. EMMIE'S SHORT, CAREFULLY CROPPED COIFFURE. CHEDA'S . . . LACK OF HAIR. IT IS ALL WORTH GAZING UPON.

"This conversation is giving me a headache. TX, what exactly did Zoya ask for?"

ZOYA ASKED FOR A WORLD WHERE HATS DID NOT EXIST. I CANNOT REMOVE HATS. BUT WITH MY NANOBOTS, I CAN HIDE HATS. FROM HUMAN OPTICS. I ASSUMED HER REQUEST WAS FOR GAZING UPON THE HAIR UNDERNEATH. IT WAS THE ONLY LOGICAL POSSIBILITY.

". . . Riiiight. Let me go talk to Zoya."

I SHALL REMAIN HERE.

"Zoya!"

. . .

"ZOYA!"

. . .

"You been talking to TX again?"

. . .

"Did you say anything about hats?"

. . .

"Well, all our hats are invisible. And TX says he did it."

. . .

"What *did* you talk to him about?"

. . .

"Like, raiders? And bandits?"

. . .

". . . What, exactly, did you say about the raiders' motivations?"

. . .

"Yeah, no argument, I don't like them either, but what *exactly* did you say?"

. . .

"Wait. You asked for 'a world without . . .'"

. . .

"Zoya, we *really* need to work on your accent."

----

I MAY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE.

There's this mod that makes all hats invisible. The problem is then you can't see people's hats.

Yeah that's the dumbest thing I've ever said. Bear with me.

See, hats are kind of pretty. But hair is also kind of pretty! And it's also a lot more distinctive, because, seriously, how often do you *not* have all your colonists wearing identical hats?

Mostly, I want to see hats in the main game, but not see hats in the character portraits. I don't need to see at a glance whether someone's wearing a hat, but it seems wrong if they're just walking around hatless in the rain, or fighting off raiders with bare heads. Seems like a bad idea, Morgan. Put on your helmet already. Sheesh.

So I fixed it! This mod removes hats from the character portraits along the top of the screen. But they still wear their hats in the game! That's pretty cool, right?

The name of this mod is entirely inaccurate. Whatever. You've stuck with me this long, you can live with yet another weirdly named mod.

TRANSPARENTLY.

LIKE YOUR HATS.

HEY-OOOOOOO

Download
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=821065788
Manual install: https://github.com/zorbathut/aworldwithouthat/releases

Compatibility
Should be compatible with anything that doesn't change the pawn rendering code. I can't think of anything offhand that does so, but I bet *something* does.

Balance Notes
Purely cosmetic, no balance impact. It may make the game *slightly* harder because it makes it take a little longer to determine what hats people are wearing.

License
A World Without Hat is provided under the MIT license. Go wild, folks!

ZorbaTHut

Alright! More mods, new thread! I'm doing a little cleanup on Crafting Hysteresis, then posting some more mods, probably one a week or so, just so I don't get slammed by inevitable fixes.

Mods on the list to be released, in alphabetical order:

* The Mad Rabbits of Caerbannog
* OSHA Compliance
* Raindrops No Longer Fall On My Head
* Step Away From The Medicine (in development)
* wE hAVe YOur COlonIsT (in development)

If any of these sound particularly exciting, let me know and I'll prioritize that one!

Also, v1.0.5 of Crafting Hysteresis is released. This is entirely an icon change - don't feel obliged to update. Yes, v1.0.4 was also an icon change. Shut up. I'm indecisive. >:(

r4ncr4ft

BlueWinds

I'm interested in "Raindrops No Longer Fall On My Head" - not sure what it is exactly, but sounds intriguing!

Dingo

Raindrops refactors roof construction and deconstruction priorities. You might as well release it right now...

Thirite