how raising/having children could work.

Started by cmitc1, October 05, 2016, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmitc1

Lovin ;)
If you havnt noticed, when 2 colonist are married, you can get the lovin effect. (during the night, little hearts pop up above there heads)

my suggestion is that there is a x% that the female will get pregnant during it.

Stages

unlike animals (if i am not mistaking) there will be 3 stages if this suggestion is added.

The first stage has no negative effects, your just told its coming and its on there health,

The second stage has some negative effects (I was thinking having the same amount as a pregnant animal), but its up for debate.

the third stage is the in labor stage (late stage) where the pregnant female will stay in her bed, or, a hospital bed for 3-4 days if you have it prepared.

New Colonist as a Baby

This stage requires at least one of the spouses, or someone that is close enough to one of them(+50?), to not be busy with a job to watch the baby, I was thinking this could last about maybe 3/4s of a season.

Colonist as a child (backstory maker, creates passions, creates traits.).

This is a very important stage,

during this time, you will need to tell the child who you want them to understudy, and what skills you would like them to learn from who they understudy. You can tell them to learn learn up to 3 per stage.

This also effects backstory,  things such us "understudied -Name- about being ____, _____,_____ plus 3-5 in this stuff =P",

based on what they study, they develop passions, you have a 100% chance to get a passion for one thing understudied, the second maybe about 50%, the third 15% and for the others.

they will gain one random trait from one random person they are understudying.

Teenager

second understudying stage.

Becoming a Adult
yayy, your child is finally grown, now, based on what they did, they will be grown with certain passions, and skills.

(keep in mind, if you have someone grow up never studying one thing, there not just going to have a 0 in it, I was thinking a low number with no passion for it).

anyway, i understand this idea is probably not new, I just wanted to get thoughts on my idea for running it.

O Negative

See, this is something I was thinking about, also. The child-development stage of colonists.

How are traits developed?
How are skills learned?
How are their backstories written?

I like your idea of "understudies" as an educational media. Learning from other colonists like this is a great idea. I just don't know if it's the best idea.

Here's my go at one...

New Jobs
Educator - Teaches students
Student - Learns from educators

New Skill
Educator - Determines effectiveness of educator's educating abilities

New Bills/Tab
Teach [Subject] - Would work in a similar way as the Operations tab. Instead of a doctor completing the job, an Educator would do it.
*Performed at desk/learning spot

Learning Rate
Students learn at different rates depending on their age, and whom they are learning from.

ESF = Educator Skill Factor = 0.05 + 2sin(ES/10) ; ES = Educator's Skill Level
SAF = Student Age Factor = cos((SA-10)/30) ; SA = Student [Biological] Age. *If SAF < 0.25 then SAF = 0.25
ESRF = Educator:Student Ratio Factor = 1 - (SK/EK) ; SK = Student Knowledge [Subject], EK = Educator Knowledge [Subject].
LearnRate = ESF*SAF*ESRF

These factors can be calculated differently, if one so desires. Especially since computers don't like performing trig functions :(
These equations just seem so nicely fitting to me :D

I think this would add a lot of value to older colonists with physical ailments, yet high skills.

boates

I think I will make a psychopathic colony that eats their own babies just for fun when this game introduces this feature.
Though the ideas listed here are not bad.

cmitc1

eyyy, i also forgot to add on that they gain traits one of the traits from the person they understudy.

Quote from: boates on October 06, 2016, 12:02:16 AM
I think I will make a psychopathic colony that eats their own babies just for fun when this game introduces this feature.
Though the ideas listed here are not bad.

0.0 have fun with that and thank you?

O Negative

Quote from: boates on October 06, 2016, 12:02:16 AM
I think I will make a psychopathic colony that eats their own babies just for fun...

cmitc1

Quote from: O Negative on October 06, 2016, 12:01:30 AM
See, this is something I was thinking about, also. The child-development stage of colonists.

How are traits developed?
How are skills learned?
How are their backstories written?

I like your idea of "understudies" as an educational media. Learning from other colonists like this is a great idea. I just don't know if it's the best idea.

Here's my go at one...

New Jobs
Educator - Teaches students
Student - Learns from educators

New Skill
Educator - Determines effectiveness of educator's educating abilities

New Bills/Tab
Teach [Subject] - Would work in a similar way as the Operations tab. Instead of a doctor completing the job, an Educator would do it.
*Performed at desk/learning spot

Learning Rate
Students learn at different rates depending on their age, and whom they are learning from.

ESF = Educator Skill Factor = 0.05 + 2sin(ES/10) ; ES = Educator's Skill Level
SAF = Student Age Factor = cos((SA-10)/30) ; SA = Student [Biological] Age. *If SAF < 0.25 then SAF = 0.25
ESRF = Educator:Student Ratio Factor = 1 - (SK/EK) ; SK = Student Knowledge [Subject], EK = Educator Knowledge [Subject].
LearnRate = ESF*SAF*ESRF

These factors can be calculated differently, if one so desires. Especially since computers don't like performing trig functions :(
These equations just seem so nicely fitting to me :D

I think this would add a lot of value to older colonists with physical ailments, yet high skills.

what makes you think it may not be the best idea? I mean, i understand, it will take some of your workforce to raise kids, but, you can raise them for certain jobs.

(thxs for the math, I had no idea where to go with it at the time.)

O Negative

Quote from: cmitc1 on October 06, 2016, 12:11:48 AM
what makes you think it may not be the best idea? I mean, i understand, it will take some of your workforce to raise kids, but, you can raise them for certain jobs.

(thxs for the math, I had no idea where to go with it at the time.)

I didn't mean it in a negative way. My idea may not be the best either. In fact, your idea could very well be better than mine.
I just like to keep an open mind to better ideas, even when an original idea is awesome.

I actually agree with you in that some of your workforce should be diverted for the education/understudy system.

(your welcome for the maths)

cmitc1

thoughts on the spouses being slightly upset if there child is not learning from one of them, and being slightly happy if they are understudying them?

and, what would you think of a trait that prevents possible parents from being unhappy if there child is not understudying them.

BetaSpectre

Children dying would be a real issue for marketing and etc in rim world.

Though I wouldn't mind it if this were a mod.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

cmitc1

Quote from: BetaSpectre on October 06, 2016, 05:17:14 PM
Children dying would be a real issue for marketing and etc in rim world.

Though I wouldn't mind it if this were a mod.

ya, that is an issue that will be faced ._.

them popping out an adult (lol) would help ovoid the problem, but tbh, that would kinda feel like a missed opportunity for a cool mechanic if we did that.

Thirite

If you look in the game's xml scripts for Pawns_Humanlike you will see there already is script in there for Baby, Toddler, and Child. However, it's not much more than defined age ranges. Tynan likely plans to add human reproduction eventually, as you can even use the "Give birth" developer command on a human and get a result- albeit a "Baby" that looks and functions like an adult. I'm not sure what it would require to mod children in, as most of the human pawn's data seems to not be exposed in xml, but having a simple solution probably wouldn't be extremely difficult via C# coding. Just starting with a baby state that can do nothing other than lie in bed and be fed, a toddler state that can wander, and a child state that is nearly identical to an adult- albeit with lower stats and a different body graphic. I've considered making modder's resource graphics for children/toddlers/babies as I'd like to see such a mod happen, but simply do not have the time to get mono working on my GNU/Linux machine.

Mr.Styoopid

I totally agree with this system. Sure, it's not very practical for colonists to have children. However, seeing that the whole point of colonization is to spread forth (in this case race / tribe / etc), it would be strange not to have a reproductive system implemented in the game.

sadpickle

Given the litigious nature of the world vis-a-vis children, I think it extremely doubtful children will ever become a core game feature. If they're in the game, and they're vulnerable pawns, they will die. Possibly in horrible ways. This will probably ensure it being banned by entire countries that have censorship regarding violence towards children. Consider the case of Fallout 3's "Little Lamplight" location, populated with (un-killable) kids.

Tynan buckled on the drug names because of Australian censors. That's just WORDS.

O Negative

Quote from: sadpickle on October 09, 2016, 04:46:14 PM
Given the litigious nature of the world vis-a-vis children, I think it extremely doubtful children will ever become a core game feature. If they're in the game, and they're vulnerable pawns, they will die. Possibly in horrible ways. This will probably ensure it being banned by entire countries that have censorship regarding violence towards children. Consider the case of Fallout 3's "Little Lamplight" location, populated with (un-killable) kids.

Tynan buckled on the drug names because of Australian censors. That's just WORDS.

You make a really good point.

Sad to think that children may never become a core game feature.
Would be cool to see him slowly (intentionally) give modders as many resources as possible to make children a fairly easily modded addition.
Surely they can't ban a game because of a mod that exists for it. Or can they? :o
I'm not all that knowledgeable of my own domestic censorship laws; even less so with foreign ones.

It really is a shame that such censorship exists in the world. You're not guaranteed protection from such atrocities in the real world. Never made sense to me to be forcefully guarded from them in media (given you're an adult). That's just me, though...

*shakes fist angrily at governments of the world*

Rafe009

I don't see how this could possibly work. A year in Rimworld is about 60 days - each season is 15 days. So 960 days for a child to become 16 years old? I think you would rarely have a infant reach adulthood before you colony collapsed or you left the colony. I don't think this should be added.

Since it's rimworld maybe the lore could address reproduction as done in cloning facilities. This doesn't need to be added and would screw to many well-oiled components to facilitate it.