how raising/having children could work.

Started by cmitc1, October 05, 2016, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Negative

Quote from: Rafe009 on October 09, 2016, 11:52:17 PM
I don't see how this could possibly work. A year in Rimworld is about 60 days - each season is 15 days. So 960 days for a child to become 16 years old? I think you would rarely have a infant reach adulthood before you colony collapsed or you left the colony. I don't think this should be added.

Since it's rimworld maybe the lore could address reproduction as done in cloning facilities. This doesn't need to be added and would screw to many well-oiled components to facilitate it.

Been giving this time-scale thing some thought lately. A year on the planet you land on doesn't necessarily have to equal a year on Earth. One full rotation around your "new" sun could very well age all of your people upwards of 3-5 years. This would up the pacing of RimWorld quite a bit, but it would make children a possibility.

I do agree with the fact that children aren't a necessity. Still a cool idea.

Wolf619

I don't see how this could possibly work. A year in Rimworld is about 60 days - each season is 15 days. So 960 days for a child to become 16 years old? I think you would rarely have a infant reach adulthood before you colony collapsed or you left the colony. I don't think this should be added.

Since it's rimworld maybe the lore could address reproduction as done in cloning facilities. This doesn't need to be added and would screw to many well-oiled components to facilitate it.

See i was thinking that too, maybe they would have to change days in the game to the equivalent of a month? but then that would make the game a lot shorter.  You are right though with the current day system the kids would never reach proper age. Maybe if they just speed tracked the growth, it would be unrealistic but after say 10 days your baby becomes a child, then 10 days later child a teenager kind of thing. The realistic age part would be really tough to tackle.

cmitc1

eh, balance > being realistic/lore.

Children dying would not really be ovoidable. We could add things like things like  mad animals wont target them, and raiders will try to steal them, rather than kill them, but, even if we did, there are still other ways to die.

Thirite

"Oh no killable children" is really a non-argument since technically you could intentionally leave a child to die inside a burning house in the Sims 3, complete with screaming voice and panic animation and literally no one cared. The only time people ever do actually care about the completely inconsequential mechanics of a videogame are the rare times when the media trumps up a moral panic about some big game, like when they found out TES4:Oblivion had female nipples of all things hidden under the bra (good lord think of the children!), or when a game about vehicular theft and bloody murder sprees had completely clothed sexual content! Perhaps a more apt example would be the scenes in Prey where realistically rendered children are torn to gibs in front of your eyes. I found, well, one whole whopping article on the internet talking about it, and it wasn't from a mainstream news source.

Maybe if RimWorld was some crappy triple-A game with super realistic graphics, some ignorant normie would catch wind of it and start another "videogames are evil and here's proof!" campaign, but the chances of that happening with RimWorld are pretty much zero. Also, no one cares about violence anymore, the hot-button topic these days is how every videogame you have ever played is incredibly sexist and you need to check your privilege.

Rafe009

Quote from: cmitc1 on October 10, 2016, 09:39:12 AM
eh, balance > being realistic/lore.

Yes man i totally agree with you but what i was trying to say is that if Tynaan ever felt the need to explain why people CANNOT have children it could be because all humans have been sterilized and reproduction is done in industrialized facilities, eg. it's not part of the game proper but something done on in industrial scale somewhere else on developed worlds

Quote from: O Negative on October 10, 2016, 04:04:22 AM

Been giving this time-scale thing some thought lately. A year on the planet you land on doesn't necessarily have to equal a year on Earth. One full rotation around your "new" sun could very well age all of your people upwards of 3-5 years. This would up the pacing of RimWorld quite a bit, but it would make children a possibility.

Yes I see your point but the minute you do this then you screw up already existing game equilibrium in that our colonists reach elderly stages faster  die much quicker all for the inclusion of juveniles, also age related infirmity becomes a bigger part of the game though i guess you could get around this with some age defying drug - cure for aging/clinical immortality. I don't think it's worth it as the slower timescale offers a longer duration to bond with our colonists rather than think of them as nameless ants/dwarfs who after playing for 5 years * 5 multiplier might all be gone and replaced due to infirmity.

Also animals would have a shorter lifespan considerably other than Thrombos and tortoises.

Wolf619

If I'm not mistaken there is a setting for days of life vs years old already in the game
you can mess with it in prepare carefully.
I don't think a rimworld day is equiv. to a earth day, i think the rimworld day is much longer
maybe I'm talking out my A nos here but I'm pretty sure that's how its handled
If you look at the core they already have stages for youth,teen,adult
so I think they are planning for children in their future lol
only time will tell though i guess

Mr.Styoopid

Maybe have a few adjustments to the time scale of maturity? alot of people are so worried that this will break the time scale realism. To me the time scale has to break sometimes to make the game playable, always remember in Rimworld large energy turbines are built in just a couple of hours (real time) maybe less.

Lizardo

Like the animals, you could have three distinct human types, rug rat, pre-teen, and adult.

Unlike animals this could create a whole market for devices related to these human types.  Miniature sarcophagi for dead babies for instance. And a whole range of innovation from cribs to tech incubators.
http://apatheticagnostic.com/ourchurch/intro.html
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ominous-Parallels-Freedom-America/dp/0452011175

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. - abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the Massacre at Béziers

MrDubber

Using Dev Mode, you can make any pawn, even humans, give birth. The creepy thing is the "baby" come out as fully grown adults. Its quite disturbing  ;D. I do however agree and think children should be added to the game.