[A15] Time-of-Day Switches

Started by merthsoft, October 06, 2016, 09:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelRev

Quote from: 123nick on October 08, 2016, 09:07:43 PM
could you make this switch a seperate object? many mods already modify the default switch. it may cause even more incompatabilities.
It already is a separate object.

Dingo

You should add a non-timer-based on/off functionality toggle so the switch can be easily turned on or off and save its time-of-day settings.

merthsoft

Like how normal switches have? That'd make sense! Good suggestion

Dingo

Yeah. Let's say you want to save power because there's an eclipse or something, you should be able to turn it off without hindering its functionality when you turn it on again.

Dingo

Windows Defender seems to be recognising this one as a virus (didn't do it for any of the other ones).

merthsoft

That's very weird... I didn't do anything different. Does it say what specifically it doesn't like about it?

Dingo

Nope, just deletes it and says it needs to submit files for analysis. I unpacked it after disabling realtime protection and the actual folder doesn't trigger anything. I don't even know if it's anything more than usual antivirus stupidity (I only use Defender because I can't be bothered uninstalling a base Windows feature, haven't used an AV before Windows 10).

mugenzebra

Is it possible to modify light to have time-of-day functionality?

Thyme

Did you ever bother about short circuits that unload all your stored energy in an electrical explosion? Was manually hauling batteries to have backup power too tedious? Time-of-Day Switches is your way to go!

During my first colony I had several electrical explosions in a short amount of time. So I started to haul batteries away to keep them charged as power backup and to keep my stored power small. Ugh, I hate micromanagment. Now I make 3 power banks, each of them connected with the main grid via one of those nice little switches. The switches are active 2/3 of the time (2h active - 1h inactive - repeat) to cut the exposed power by 1/3. Not sure of 1/3 would work too, could be that it causes power shortages when the switches flick. Will increase to 4 power banks with 2/4 setting when the colony grows.

Another usage I thought of: Connect a sun lamp with the switch to avoid micro-managing solar panels. (Solar panel: 1700W, Sun lamp: 1600W) Connecting 1:1 would work, but what are you going to do in a volcanic winter?
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak