Raider "decorations"

Started by Arctic_fox, October 07, 2016, 12:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic_fox

so seeing as im half asleep and halloween is coming up, I figure ill post a boneheaded idea and see what the reactions are.

Namely we tend to have a lot of bodys so i was thinking of a few things to spruce up the base in a "this place is full of psycos lets avoid it" kinda way by adding items such as heads/skulls on stakes, Cages with dead bodys hung from doors, Or hanging them from trees, perhaps tying them to a cross untill they starve to act as raider scarecrows.

Positives could be -5 to -20 mood on raiders,
Small mood boost to colonists with bloodlust canibal or psycopath traits, And perhaps ward animals away from fields in X radius, Maybe even a small buff to traders at war with X faction.

cons could be a medium debuff for normal colonists, a small chance to enrage raiders to the point they wont stop attacking until all dead or tiny chance to spark huge double size raids, and maybe a small chance to attract hungry preditors and give them a manhunter debuff when eaten, and could give a -5 to -10 debuff to non psyco/canibal/bloodlust traders and raise prices a bit.

Granted im a bit of a sadist and want more creative ways to tortu......err use the fallen and living of my enemys in intersting and useful ways.

Sorry if this has been brought up before but i still want my tribals to be able to spike the heads of the enemy and scare them shitless and figured i would put the idea out there before i crash.

p.s forgive my poor spelling/grammer my brain is half fried from a 16 hour shift (yay trucking /sarcasm) and ill fix it when it dosent feel like my eyeballs have been popped out rolled in metal shavings and sandpaper grit then replaced backwards by a drunk surgon with palsy.

TomatoWalrus

I like it :D
+1

Also, I love the title. "Decorations"
Murphys law:
If something can go wrong, it will go wrong.
RimWorld can be an ass sometimes

JuicyPVP

It should attract predators/scavengers like rats/bears and they should agro the colony.

Wex

You've come late to the party pal.
That was the fear stuff that got removed from the game... 10 alphas ago? I am unsure.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Viewer

So there was a "fear" mechanic in place in the past? Interesting. Why was it removed?

Arctic_fox

Quote from: Wex on October 07, 2016, 03:09:17 PM
You've come late to the party pal.
That was the fear stuff that got removed from the game... 10 alphas ago? I am unsure.

very likely i only found this game in the last 2 or 3 days of a14

PieTau

I never fully understanded it, i always made them happy.

if you placed the Gibet_Cage it would cause fear to get up, but seeing it would also give mood debuf. You had to fil the cage with corpses animal didn't do much), humanlike corpses. 
If mood or fear is high they woudn't have a mental break.     
Starting with fear wasn't posible because you had to wait some raids to get enough corpses and switching to it later seemed like a waste of time since you already have happy stuff.

But i don't realy now as i said haven't realy played much with fear.

Shinzy

Quote from: Viewer on October 07, 2016, 03:58:46 PM
So there was a "fear" mechanic in place in the past? Interesting. Why was it removed?

The "mood" back then was two things: 'Fear' and I think it was called 'Loyalty'
If the loyalty meter got under the treshold, your colonist could wander off in daze and permanently leave your colony

loyalty was gained through good conditions like proper rooms and food
then there was fear, which was literally abusing your colonists to point where they'd be afraid of you enough to "loyal" to you
(there was an option to beat up prisoners, too. Wooo!)

anyway, that meant that you could literally just house all your colonists in a tiny dark hole and have their sleeping spots surrounded with bodies to keep them in line

I think that was removed for being too easily abused and perhaps for being very breaking the 4th wall kinda deal. Cause it made the player as an actor in the world instead of like an observer, if that makes any sense

Anywaaay on topic! Unsettling raiding parties and friendlies could be fun :p

niklas7737

Don't want to interrupt, but ...

Quote from: Shinzy on October 09, 2016, 08:34:02 AMI think that was removed for being too easily abused and perhaps for being very breaking the 4th wall kinda deal. Cause it made the player as an actor in the world instead of like an observer, if that makes any sense

Who am I considered to be anyway? There is this thought ...
I'm so exhausted I can barely stand. My eyelids have lead weights on them. Let me sleep...
... which seems to be adressing me.

Am I their god? An invisible guy running behind everyone of them giving commands?
I always thought about that ...

Shinzy

Quote from: niklas7737 on October 09, 2016, 09:52:09 AM
Who am I considered to be anyway?
Am I their god? An invisible guy running behind everyone of them giving commands?
I always thought about that ...
well with the AI's being called storytellers, I've always imagined it as like you're supposed to be like part of the crowd in like a spacesaloon or something :p But that's really something Ty would have to answer hisself

O Negative

My thoughts:

You are what cannot be scripted. You are their sense of self-preservation, their moral compass, their conscience, their guide...

Without you, the story would end at "Now what do we do?" Lol

Arctic_fox

Quote from: O Negative on October 09, 2016, 06:53:57 PM
My thoughts:

You are what cannot be scripted. You are their sense of self-preservation, their moral compass, their conscience, their guide...

Without you, the story would end at "Now what do we do?" Lol

I prefer to think of it as i'm the little voice we all have when we try to make the best of a bad situation, That they have some small artifacts like a journal with useful information in it that they have from me, That i influence the world in small (or when angry using lighting strikes occasionally) ways, The perception at the edge of your mind that makes you notice something you would otherwise miss, The hair on the back of your neck rising when danger is near, And occasionally a mysterious hand that pops out of nowhere and backhands them when they are being beyond stupid or puts the thought into all the others heads that they should set the troublemakers on fire.