64 bit version?

Started by Bunkier, October 08, 2016, 01:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunkier

Can i know that 64bit version will be released?

Britnoth

Isn't happening, unless you run the game on Linux.

RawCode

Ask on unity forums, game is not native one and does not decide it's own "bitness".

Jaxxa

Why do you want a x64 Bit version, that advantage would that give us?

Is anyone hitting the memory limitations?

RawCode

Quote from: Jaxxa on October 10, 2016, 10:11:00 PM

it's is not possible to hit memory limit without intentionally leaking memory in current version of the game.

on large map people hit single thread bottleneck, that have nothing with memory or "bitness" and cannot be solved without major refactoring of nearly everything to allow async invocation without side effects.

Britnoth

Quote from: RawCode on October 11, 2016, 12:06:10 AM
Quote from: Jaxxa on October 10, 2016, 10:11:00 PM

it's is not possible to hit memory limit without intentionally leaking memory in current version of the game.

on large map people hit single thread bottleneck, that have nothing with memory or "bitness" and cannot be solved without major refactoring of nearly everything to allow async invocation without side effects.

What do you mean by this?

I have had my game continually crash with memory errors when the exe was hitting around 3.4G memory usage.

This was with running Combat Realism though. Maybe it had a mem leak?  :o

RawCode

you should report your problems to cr developers instead of asking for 64 bits.

if modification have 3g memory leak, on 64bit you will hit your physical memory limit instead.

Britnoth

The thing is, the game played fine for hours with a smaller number of colonists.

After a crash, I'd reload and try to continue the game, and get the same memory error just minutes afterwards.

Seems inconsistent with a problem with CR. Also considering most people probably now have more RAM than can be used by a single program, isn't it about time that all programs were 64 bit?

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Britnoth on October 12, 2016, 02:01:07 AM
The thing is, the game played fine for hours with a smaller number of colonists.

After a crash, I'd reload and try to continue the game, and get the same memory error just minutes afterwards.

Seems inconsistent with a problem with CR.
If it was truly 'just' the game + mods in normal operations running out of memory, you'd expect that to happen pretty much the instant the game is loaded. The fact that it takes a few minutes does suggest a memory leak, that it only happens with many colonists might suggest a specific bug that triggers only with a larger number of colonists/pawns on the map.

Quote from: Britnoth on October 12, 2016, 02:01:07 AMAlso considering most people probably now have more RAM than can be used by a single program, isn't it about time that all programs were 64 bit?
I'm not entirely sure what the logic is here. Certainly as hardware and OS's are mostly 64 bit first, and 32 bits is likely to become less and less supported in the future (which isn't likely to happen anytime soon), moving to 64 bit as a standard for new software is probably a good idea. There is however no reason for a program to always be capable of using all the memory available, especially when the only situation that will normally happen is when a memory leak occurs.

Zhentar

Operating in 64-bit mode comes at a pretty significant cost - it doubles the size of memory pointers (from 32 bits to 64 bits). This can significantly increase your memory usage (and code size), and reduce cache hit rates. x86-64 has some added features to help offset the performance cost, but for many applications, it's still a net performance loss. In most cases, it's much better to fix the bugs & inefficiencies that are causing you to need 4GB+ addressable memory than it is to switch to 64 bit and simply consume that much memory.

Bunkier

Well i wanted 64 bit version because i want to add more ram to game. Playing with 124 mods after some time can lag the game badly

Jaxxa

What makes you think that adding more Ram will make that any better?

Have you checked your ram usage while playing?
I would assume that you are CPU bottlenecked.

Being a 64-bit executable will not help RimWorld (and on MacOS and Linux the game is 64-bit).  Going from 4GB of addressable memory to 16EB of addressable memory will not help solve issues of CPU bottlenecking.  The major issue isn't the memory limits of 32-bit address space but of memory leaks and CPU throughput.  Some mods have some heavy memory leaks and some mods have code which is written inefficiently in their inner loops.  Fixing memory leaks, finding more efficient algorithms and optimizing inner loops are the first stages of optimization.  There is no point in changing the addressability until these issue are resolved as the same problems will occur except that more memory will be leaked with more work for the CPU to do making opening whatever process manager for your platform to kill the task take that much longer.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.