i wanna learn.

Started by lLeo, March 25, 2014, 05:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lLeo

can someone teach me on the basics  of modding this game? i can be their apprentice. i am a fast learner and i am always online. :C i really wanna learn on making mods

Architect

You could start by getting to grips with the layout of the XML documents in the core folder under mods. That way you can see how code is referenced, and jiggle numbers and tags around to get basic desired results.
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

lLeo

i see i'll start right away :)

Cala13er

And me on Skype. I'll help you learn in spare time :)

lLeo

what do they use on making textures? just photoshop?

Architect

Quote from: lLeo on March 25, 2014, 07:48:26 AM
what do they use on making textures? just photoshop?

anything at all, just make sure you save it as a png :P
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

lLeo

how bout walls how can you make the texture for it ? is there a proper way of making one?

mrofa

Link to game art assets.
ThingGraphics\Things\Building\Linked\WallMetal_Atlas.psd here you got the wall texture.
.psd is a phothop format, but you can open it with gimp or paint.net, you only need to download the plugin.
All i do is clutter all around.

lLeo

Kilroy232

can someone teach me on the basics  of modding this game? i can be their apprentice. i am a fast learner and i am always online. :C i really wanna learn on making mods

If you want some help I would be happy to lend a hand. You are welcome to send me a message when ever you want.
I will ask, what is it you are looking to do?

My suggestion to you is to start by downloading Notepad++ for coding. It is a great way to work on multiple files at the same time with ease and it colours certain types of code so that you can differentiate. linked here:
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.5.5.html

To get you started I would suggest you look at the BlastingCharges mod and get an idea of the structure of the mod, try recreating it then slowly modifying it and seeing in game what it is you have changed. The best way to learn is by doing

a89a89

Quote from: Kilroy232 on March 25, 2014, 09:49:47 AM

If you want some help I would be happy to lend a hand. You are welcome to send me a message when ever you want.
I will ask, what is it you are looking to do?

My suggestion to you is to start by downloading Notepad++ for coding. It is a great way to work on multiple files at the same time with ease and it colours certain types of code so that you can differentiate. linked here:
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.5.5.html

To get you started I would suggest you look at the BlastingCharges mod and get an idea of the structure of the mod, try recreating it then slowly modifying it and seeing in game what it is you have changed. The best way to learn is by doing
Do you know a alternate program that could work with mac?

Serrate Bloodrage

The best for Mac is-

Ebay, selling Mac to upgrade to a PC

If only my colonist could have 'personal time' to reduced stress =D

a89a89

I see this all the time, people tell me "go sell your mac, get a PC". Well  I wont see l my mac because I don't want to learn a new opporating system and if you didn't know any program why did you reply?

Serrate Bloodrage

Sorry for causing offense, I really only meant it as a joke..but after re reading it I see I came across as rude.
My apologies

If only my colonist could have 'personal time' to reduced stress =D

Kilroy232

So a89a89, I did some digging for a program similar to Notepad++ that would run on the mac OS and this is what I came up with for you:
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

It is a free application that you can use and by the looks of it and from what I have read it is exactly what you would want.

Direct download link from the site:
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/download.html

Let me know what you think of the app as I am unable to actually run it myself and I have never personally used it. If it is good I would like to know so that I can recommend it to others.

Enjoy :D