[1.2] Ancient Asian Weapons (08.11.2020)

Started by eatKenny, October 09, 2016, 03:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eatKenny

License:
This mod is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.

Description:

inspired by mod Medieval Times, this mod adds some additional ancient asian weapons. If you have any further interesting weapons want to add just leave a comment. ;)

List of added melee weapons:

- Feng-Huo-Lun
- Kabutowari
- Ninjato
- Kukri
- Kris
- Chui

- Jian
- Dao
- Dah
- Kampilan
- Katana

- Bo
- Naginata
- Yari
- Ji

List of added ranged weapons:

- Blowgun (shoots poisoned darts)
- Shuriken
- Chu-Ko-Nu (shoots 4 arrows)

Weapon sheet:

Ancient Asian Weapons

DOWNLOAD R1.2:

Mediafire

If you like this mod please support me, it will make me motivated ;)

Thirite

The graphics look really good. Personally I'm not really for the whole "folded a gorillion times katana", though. Historically speaking, the katana was not functionally 'better' than a European longsword. The reason weapons in feudal Japan took so much effort to make was largely due to poor ore quality that required a lot of purification, and also its scarcity (hence wooden armour). The curvature of the blade allowed for a better cut with a swing, but the longsword's sheer length and weight largely made up for the lack of a curved cutting edge. A straight blade also allows for more controlled parries than a curved blade, and this is evident in medieval swordplay tactics. Despite common belief, a katana was perfectly capable of effective stabs; hell, I've seen modern videos of it punching through steel plate. Of course, the European longsword was also fully capable of piercing attacks and typically at a greater length.

To sum things up the katana wasn't a super amazing sword, it had its strengths and weaknesses like many other melee combat weapons.

eatKenny

Quote from: Thirite on October 10, 2016, 07:38:38 AM
The graphics look really good. Personally I'm not really for the whole "folded a gorillion times katana", though. Historically speaking, the katana was not functionally 'better' than a European longsword. The reason weapons in feudal Japan took so much effort to make was largely due to poor ore quality that required a lot of purification, and also its scarcity (hence wooden armour). The curvature of the blade allowed for a better cut with a swing, but the longsword's sheer length and weight largely made up for the lack of a curved cutting edge. A straight blade also allows for more controlled parries than a curved blade, and this is evident in medieval swordplay tactics. Despite common belief, a katana was perfectly capable of effective stabs; hell, I've seen modern videos of it punching through steel plate. Of course, the European longsword was also fully capable of piercing attacks and typically at a greater length.

To sum things up the katana wasn't a super amazing sword, it had its strengths and weaknesses like many other melee combat weapons.

good point, i guess i got wrong impression from R. Lee Ermey. However almost double the workamount for 0,55 more DPS seems balanced to me.

PS: after some youtube research i will say katana is sharper but more fragile, longsword is more durable. so i guess some extra DPS for katana makes sense, maybe i should also put a higher deterioration rate to katana as balance.

Thirite

That's a good point, realism always should stand aside to gameplay mechanics/balance.

Jessi

Quote from: Thirite on October 10, 2016, 03:04:40 PM
That's a good point, realism always should stand aside to gameplay mechanics/balance.
Quote from: eatKenny on October 10, 2016, 02:47:22 PM
Quote from: Thirite on October 10, 2016, 07:38:38 AM

good point, i guess i got wrong impression from R. Lee Ermey. However almost double the workamount for 0,55 more DPS seems balanced to me.

PS: after some youtube research i will say katana is sharper but more fragile, longsword is more durable. so i guess some extra DPS for katana makes sense, maybe i should also put a higher deterioration rate to katana as balance.

I like that this didn't turn into a pissing match about swords. Also yes, very nice looking mod.
A curious little creature...

res34

Any plans for more weapons, such as the naginata, yari, or kabutowari?

eatKenny

Quote from: res34 on October 10, 2016, 03:33:38 PM
Any plans for more weapons, such as the naginata, yari, or kabutowari?
sure, looking for suggestions and ideas like this...

ChromeMax

When are you going to update high caliber? I love that you're adding different variants of weapons, but your high caliber mod hasn't received any updates in quite some time, and I think adding different types of guns would really bring it to the people's attention.

eatKenny

Quote from: ChromeMax on October 11, 2016, 10:34:10 AM
When are you going to update high caliber? I love that you're adding different variants of weapons, but your high caliber mod hasn't received any updates in quite some time, and I think adding different types of guns would really bring it to the people's attention.
run out of ideas of new guns. and i think it's already enough guns/weapons of different variants.

Razzoriel

Quote from: eatKenny on October 11, 2016, 12:09:48 PM
Quote from: ChromeMax on October 11, 2016, 10:34:10 AM
run out of ideas of new guns. and i think it's already enough guns/weapons of different variants.
Blasphemy! You can never have enough guns in any game ever!

res34

Most lovely. Now I can fight at range with melee tribesmen with such deadly polearms, and my ranged fighters can have cannons!

I decided to look around some more, and found a few more weapons that might pique your interest. Admittedly, these might not all be considered truly medieval, as some might by from slightly earlier or later time periods.

Japanese:
- Kanabō
- Ōtsuchi
- Yumi
- Kusarigama

Chinese:
- Zhanmadao
- Ji (polearm)
- Thunder crash bomb
- Monk's spade
- Jian
- Wind and fire wheels

Dante King

In the title... Asain... your spelling is making my Grammar Nazi heart cry.

eatKenny

Quote from: res34 on October 15, 2016, 08:25:33 AM
Most lovely. Now I can fight at range with melee tribesmen with such deadly polearms, and my ranged fighters can have cannons!

I decided to look around some more, and found a few more weapons that might pique your interest. Admittedly, these might not all be considered truly medieval, as some might by from slightly earlier or later time periods.

Japanese:
- Kanabō
- Ōtsuchi
- Yumi
- Kusarigama

Chinese:
- Zhanmadao
- Ji (polearm)
- Thunder crash bomb
- Monk's spade
- Jian
- Wind and fire wheels

thanks mate, some of them looks rather interesting.