[A15] [WIP] Mine Shafts - Help needed

Started by VincentSinclair, October 15, 2016, 07:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VincentSinclair

I need a bit of help with a workbench i'm throwing together as a first mod to provide a stable metal, mineral, and stone economy outside trading and ship parts. I think I have the basic structure correct minus the workgiver part as there seems to be cross-referencing errors with the recipes. It's been driving me up the walls bonkers trying to resolve the issue.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
Did someone say gas? Strap on your Stahlhelm, mask, and hunker down!

kaptain_kavern

Your folder is called "ReciepeDefs" in place of "RecipeDefs"

I don't know if all your errors came from that one. I'm testing it right now

Reading the code i'm not sure what is the purpose of this.
It this intend to be some kind of "low tech" DeepDrill ? A la "Quarry" from CuproPanda ?

nccvoyager

First, I would suggest including a copy (or differently-named copy) of the "BuildingBase" abstract in your mod.
(This can help avoid some issues with compatibility, from what I have seen.)
Second, the "RecipeDefs" folder is misspelled...
Oh man, I was looking at other threads and trying to get my computer to do stuff...

VincentSinclair

Yes it is a "low-tech" neolithic mine intended more for my personal use in it's current unbalanced state, however I plan on trying to configure the outputs for it to be balanced vs. surface mining. Currently I plan on having only be used as a quarry, and metal mine for steel, jade, components (might remove this in a another version from the mine and make it to be able to crafted from steel at a different table if people find it to be too unbalanced.), gold, and silver. My idea was from my experience with playing Dwarf Fortress, and the fact that when easier accessed materials on the surface level were depleted cultures would dig down. The balanced version of this is to allow to supplement early mining of veins, before being the main source of materials. The grand plan is to try to complete a full tiered mining system that's great for vanilla play and will play nice with a number of other mods that lack a mine. The unbalanced is intended to let the neolithic tiered mine produce metals at the rate of the end-tier mine, and going from there.

kaptain_kavern

You were missing a </RecipeDefs> at the end of the recipe file also.

And the error about cross-referencing seems to be related to the fact that your building def have 5 recipes sets and your recipe file only have the first one defined : MiningCrustSteel. If i erase/comment the 4 others recipe in the building def, the game starts without errors.

I'm trying to start a colony for dev test, right now

kaptain_kavern

This is starting without errors (see attachment). And you can build it in game.
Now you need workgiver defs :p

Problems were :
- One  tag wasn't closed : <RecipeDefs> (the one that encompass all, not the <RecipeDef> ones)
- 4 recipes in a building defs without definition recipe defs sets

Hope it will help you a bit and that you will keep up expanding on your ideas !

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

VincentSinclair

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on October 15, 2016, 09:38:19 PM
You were missing a </RecipeDefs> at the end of the recipe file also.

I never noticed that bit.
Quote from: kaptain_kavern on October 15, 2016, 09:38:19 PM

And the error about cross-referencing seems to be related to the fact that your building def have 5 recipes sets and your recipe file only have the first one defined : MiningCrustSteel. If i erase/comment the 4 others recipe in the building def, the game starts without errors.

I was simply trying to go for process of elimination with the errors by only having the steel recipe worked out. If I got the steel recipe right then I would proceed to work on the other recipes. As you pointed out earlier it may have been from the missing </RecipeDefs>
Thank you guys for your help. I wanted to put this together and make it a fully fledged mod inspired from things such as Quarry, Industrialization, and Medieval Times contained rock quarry.

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: VincentSinclair on October 15, 2016, 09:48:34 PM
I was simply trying to go for process of elimination with the errors by only having the steel recipe worked out. If I got the steel recipe right then I would proceed to work on the other recipes. As you pointed out earlier it may have been from the missing </RecipeDefs>
Oh don't get me wrong, I think you thought it well, it was the right way to proceed. I just happened to have a bit more experience (about Rimworld specific grammar). In fact that's why I like to help out other in this section of the forum : I always see folks with great new ideas AND I always learn something and/or have the occasion to practice my "code-fu".  This particular error message and me are knowing each others well for a very long time ^^ (I often had to deal with it). There are some tags that always need to be link to a valid def. If the corresponding def is missing the game throw the errors.

Quote from: VincentSinclair on October 15, 2016, 09:48:34 PM
Thank you guys for your help. I wanted to put this together and make it a fully fledged mod inspired from things such as Quarry, Industrialization, and Medieval Times contained rock quarry.
That's what I was hoping to ear ;D. IMHO this has the potential to be a versatile mod that goes well with several others (and especially those medieval/tribal oriented mods/scenario)

Oh about Medieval Time : I don't use it but I replied to a request on Reddit for making a mod that disable guns and mechanoids, do you think it can interest Medieval Time users ?

VincentSinclair

At some point after I get the mining bits worked out, I want to put this through a full expansion of rimworld's tech and create a companion mod to this that will contain a selection of WW1, and WW2 era technology. (lots of industrialization, and big buildings, with limited to no electrical need.) I.E. taking the MP40 from the 20th CW mod and changing the recipe around to where it can be made at a weapon smith's table, and change it's work required to be lower, but you have to have stamped steel on hand. I'm somewhat of a history buff, and I want to give colonies an ability to rapidly industrialize from the tribal point to survive, however the person now has to manage multiple crafting structures, or atleast have a manager mod installed, and will be able to get firearms out i'd say just before the first raid hits you. If you're playing with Lovecraftian monsters, you get more of fighting chance if Deep Ones are your first raid!   :D Also yes I believe it would, infact there is already a mod out there called Medieval Rimworld I think which disables the entire research tree electricity and beyond, and forces the map to only generate raids with neolithic/medieval tech. No mechanoids. No guns. No easy living in extreme times. Also certain incidents have the text changed around for flavor indicating that your colony had no idea that an eclipse is a natural phenomenon, and believe it is the god of darkness taking hold of the sun.