[A15][WIP] Beasts of the Outer Rim

Started by res34, October 10, 2016, 05:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

res34

So I started working on some creature concepts for RimWorld, drew up some sketches, and then brought them up on Sagan IV forum where fellow member Hydromancerx (who some of you might know from here) and new member Fluffe9911 soon joined. We're currently coming up with some new ideas for creatures, which we will post here as we work further on this mod, but we have one finished species right now, known as a Squiddle.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/aovnwdxbanso9hb/Squiddle+Mod.zip

We're still working on the coding for it, but Fluffe9911 has been very helpful in this and made a basic one for it, utilizing the Muffalo as a base. We'll tweak it some more, though I'm still debating if this should be a smaller species. The idea behind it is that this is a genetically engineered species of terrestrial cephalopod originally bred for agricultural use but which has subsequently been spread throughout the Rim and since gone feral.

I myself am very open to any help and suggestions you guys can provide, as I'm fairly new to the modding scene and have little experience in coding. kaptain_kavern has helped me a bit in this regard, providing me some links, and I've also been peering at the code for various other animal mods in order to get a better idea on how they work.

kaptain_kavern

YaY! More animals! Keep up the good job guys

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

res34

Thanks for the compliments. I suppose if anyone wants to see the behind the scenes, I'll link to the Sagan IV thread where we've been posting sketches and ideas:

http://sagan4.com/forum/index.php?topic=12076.0

Hydromancerx

Here are some Moas i tried to make. No front of back views. I used the emu as a base.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

res34

Current creature I'm working on, with two variations of the side complete (one with thicker lines) just hope doing the back won't prove too difficult. Gonna call it a Dragon Turtle probably, and the idea behind it is that they were genetically engineered from Alligator Snapping Turtles for the purpose of serving as apex predators as part of an ecosystem building project, but over the decades specimens have been captured and brought to various other RimWorlds where they have since established themselves and become the bane of Medieval Lords and such, hence where the term "dragon" in their names comes from.

So do you guys think I should go with the thicker lined one or the thinner lined one?

kaptain_kavern

I'm not a graphist and I suck at drawing but the 2nd one was feeling more "vanilla"esque to me even before reading why : the thicker outline.

And I like it. Hope someone with C# knowledge could provide code for mounting animals...

res34

Thicker lines it is then. Oh, and since I noticed some minor loss of detail, here is a full sized image for anyone to see... assuming of course that 256 x 256 is the max size for sprites.

kaptain_kavern

I'm not sure about the maximum sprites size but in the code for pawnkinddef in the part where you will specify the sprite path (with <texPath>) you have the ability to play with the value of a tag called <drawSize>. In fact that's how animals have different size at different ages. If you set this to high value your animal will be bigger.  There also is the possibility to have different sprites for females or youngster (can look at the code of vanilla animals that are coded like this : ibex or chicken/chicks)

Hydromancerx