[A16 WIP] Star Wars: An Outer-Rim World Story

Started by demeggy, October 16, 2016, 06:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demeggy

Hi folks,

Demeggy here. I thought it was time to announce the development of a small conversion mod I'm working on that brings the Star Wars Universe to Rimworld.

I've seen a few other mods that have had a crack at this, and whilst they're all stonkingly good, I feel like bringing some of my own to the table.

So, with that in mind... let me introduce you to....

Mod Status:

Framework (Def/Language): 95%
Art: 45%
Sound: 25%

Currently Implemented:

Natural Resources (inc. buildables):
Dunestone, Moonstone, Korribanite, Shinestone, Spice Ore, Compacted Durasteel, Compacted Permacrete, Kyber Crystal

Plants:
Bactillia, Tuber, Rootleaf, Alderaanian Blossomflower, Force Blossom, Ithorian Rose, Marcan Herbs, Muja Fruit

Weapons:
DL-22 Blaster, DL-44 Heavy Blaster, E-11 Blaster Rifle, EE-3 Carbine Rifle, E-5 Sniper Rifle, Vibroblade, Lightsaber, Thermal Detonators

Traits:
Force Sensitive

Apparel:
Stormtrooper Helmet, Stormtrooper Armour, Scout Trooper Helmet, Scout Trooper Armour, Rebel Soldier Helmet, Rebel Soldier Combat Vest, Rebel Scout Helmet, Rebel Scout Duster, Mandalorian Helmet, Mandalorian Armour, Ubese Raider Helmet, Ubese Raider Cloak, Corellian Blood-Stripe Pants, Smugglers Vest, Tusken Cloak, Tusken Mask

Fauna (inc. Droids):
Super-Battledroid, Battledroid, Astromech Droid, Protocol Droid, Falumpaset, Ewok, Ice Cat, Shaak, Hoover, Gnort, Peko-Peko, Reekcat, Endorian Chicken, Ghhhk, Vine Snake, Gundark, Nerf, Kaadu, Eopie, Reek, Tauntaun, Mynock, Sungwa, Ikopi, Tooka, Gurrek, Jerba, Ysalamari, Akk Dog, Anooba, Rancor, Kowakian Monkey Lizard, Bantha, Varactyl, Nexu, Worrt, Wampa, Momong, Womprat, Vjun Fox, Dewback, Snowmouse, Gorg, Boar-Wolf, Sleen, Nuna, Vornskr, Orray, Mooka, Rathtar

Objects:
Holonet Terminal, Bacta Tank, 2-1B Medical Droid, Dejarik Board, Sabaac Table, Carbonite Freezer, Moisture Vaporator

Items (inc. Various Hides/Furs/Wools/Eggs):
Blue Milk, Jedi Holocron, Sith Holocron, Moisture Pack

Drugs:
Jawa Juice, Ryll Spice, Sansanna Spice, Glitterstim Spice, Bacta Patches, Medpac

Research Projects:
Spice Refining, Hyperdrive Construction, Carbonite Freezing, Moisture Farming

Factions (inc. Randomised NameBanks):
Rebel Alliance, Galactic Empire, Tusken Raiders, Hutt Cartel

Full list to be provided closer to release

Special thanks to Berengar for donating their Rimtrooper assets, which have gone towards saving me creating weapon and Imperial/Rebel armour assets!
---

Rimworld obviously fits the SW bill incredibly well. The Outer-Rim worlds of the SW Universe are unexplored, dangerous territory. Set during the era of the Galactic Civil War, the emphasis won't be on players to take up arms against the Empire. It won't be for players to play a major part in the lore of the SW Universe. It will simply be for you to build your story of a small colony, struggling to survive.

Most of Rimworld caters for what's needed already, which makes it a great platform for me to one-man develop this.
Initial plans are to bring some of the flora and fauna into the gameworld, with creatures as Wampas, Banthas and Ronto's already in.
I've also included a Force Sensitive Trait for colonists (a rare chance indeed), with some great buffs that will allow them to become the Protectors of your colony.
We've also got an Imperial Outpost faction, complete with Grand Moff, Officers and Stormtrooper battalions, not to mention Rebel Alliance and Tusken Raider factions that are being worked on right now.
We're also looking at custom minerals such as Kyber Crystals, Durasteel and Permacrete.
Additionally, weapons from the saga such as the DL44 and Imperial Blaster Rifle will be making an appearance, along with trainable Astromech and Protocol droid 'Pets'.

I'm focusing on the actual functionality over looks and sounds to begin with (best place to start in my humble opinion), but I intend on keeping the smooth, basic appeal of Rimworlds aesthetics for all graphics (no realistic crops here).

I'll try to keep this post updated, I'm terrible for communicating development - but if you're interested in what I'm doing, get posting below and let me know I've got some support behind me!

May the Force (of modding and self-motivation) be with you,

Demeggy

demeggy

Progress Update... so far so good. Initially, this was a bolt-on mod, adding content to the game. However as I've gone further into testing the build, realized some of the core assets (fauna for example) somewhat ruin the illusion of the SW Universe, and I've therefore opted to convert most of the standard content to the lore.
With that in mind, I'm pleased to confirm all fauna in the game has been replaced with 'similar' opted creatures from the Star Wars Universe. I've been mindful not to throw any old twoddle in, so expect to see Tauntaun's only in snowy biomes, Banthas grazing in dusty and grassy plains, and Rancor's and Rathta's making rare, but interesting appearances.
Weapons and Apparel wise, I've added, rather than replaced, existing gear and outfits - as I feel most of the Apparel in there is suitable enough already.
We've got 3 main factions in at current (Rebels, Imperials, Tusken Raiders) with a 4th (Hutt Clans) in development. Apparel and weapons are unique to each, so expect to see plenty of familiar gear from the lore of the films.
I've also added Droids as 'pet' pawns. Droids can't mate for obvious reasons, and don't roam wildly, but if bought from a Trader at your Colony's Spaceport/Landing Pad (another change made to the Orbital Beacon/Trading system) - can serve as trusty companions from a series of astromechs and protocol units to add to your collection.

We've also got changes to the materials you'll be coming across, flora and some research tree changes.

Now the interesting bit....

I'm giving myself 1 month from today to get this all in. With a lot of confidence, I reckon we're going to be seeing some visual action within the next fortnight, as I'm currently focusing on getting the framework in over the visuals and sounds at first.

Next update should hopefully be confirming the frameworks completed and that I've started, or will be starting the visuals!

Keep the Force

Demeggy

kaptain_kavern

Great!

If you need helps or feedbacks, we are here  ;)

demeggy

Cheers bud, had some great PM's so far! Grand community vibe going on.

demeggy

Update...

A metric Tonne of content is now in. Plants, drugs and fauna have been completely renamed (with some being slightly reworked). All natural resources have been converted to Star Wars form (some with creative license...), and we've got 4 Factions with unique name generators (Rebel Bases that range from Alpha to Rogue and Hutt Clans going by one of twenty-ish Hutt names as an example).
I'm almost at the stage where I'm getting ready to start working on the assets, which I had my first dabble with last night on one of the Droid 'pets' you can purchase from a landed trading starship; the Protocol Droid (as seen in the below screen grab alongside a pile of rotting Rancor Meat).

I'll be knocking up a list of all the changes on the original post over the next week, so keep tuned to see what sort of content has gone in and what changes have been made. I've got a few more things to do with the framework, one of which is Spice Mining, which replaces Gold with Spice and allows you to refine it into one of the more potent Spice drug forms of Glitterstim, Ryll or Sansarra.

Demeggy

kaptain_kavern

Haha nice to see your progressing super fast ;P

Can't wait to see  some Jedi/Sith yielding wielding dual light saber, going berserk high on Ryll ^^

demeggy

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on October 22, 2016, 10:56:47 AM
Haha nice to see your progressing super fast ;P

Can't wait to see  some Jedi/Sith yielding dual light saber, going berserk high on Ryll ^^

Cheers Kap :) A few tiny issues I need to resolve at the moment before I'll be comfortable progressing with the artwork, but nothing unresolvable!

demeggy

Update #2...

So far, so good. I'm almost ready to start the artwork fulltime - just a few issues relating to the Language file folders that I still need to crack and a bit of indepth work that needs doing on the Droid bodies (resolved the faction related issues).

I'm also at the point of alpha testing the conversion changes, and so far so good.
I've had a few travellers setup a small colony on an extreme Desert biome, crafting small buildings out of Dunestone and Korribanite and growing patches of Rootleaf where possible. A raid fired up eventually (Randy Random ftw!), and it was the mercs of Dirja the Hutt, a nearby Hutt Cartel Faction leader. Taking them out was tense, as both my ranged colonists had only an E11 and DL22 equipped, whereas the Mercs were wielding Bowcasters and Thermal Detonators.
There's also Spice Ore not far from where we're setting up, so I may be inclined to setup a Spice Mine and get Spice Refining researched as quickly as possible... Good chance I can start getting it traded for a lot of credits...

demeggy

Update...

Progress tends to dip during the week as my rather hectic day-job leaves me brainless and mindnumbingly tired most evenings... however...

I've recently tackled one problem that I was having. This being a conversion mod, I need to alter some of the dialogue that pops up during incidents ingame. As a result, the only way I've really discovered of doing this is to create a custom language pack that sits within the mod, and the player must toggle onto.
Now once the language is selected ingame, that's fine and dandy - but - and here's the big but - would yourselves as players find that a hassle to handle?
At this time, I can't really think of an alternative solution - so if anyone has one, please drop me a reply!

That being said, it's quite satisfying to see a 'Starship has landed' box popup, informing me a 'YT-1300 Freighter has landed nearby, and is trading in Bulk Goods'  :)

Graphics wise, I'm making some slow progress with some of the wildlife (see above). There's just something I'm not feeling about the two examples provided (Wampa and Bantha). Maybe I'm being too picky. I've got another 50-odd creatures to get doodling. Thoughts?

Edit: Thrown in below is a cheeky 'cantina' mockup ingame for 'tease' (note: Carbonite Freezer, and Dejarik/Holochess table furnishings)

Demeggy

ChromeMax

I'd be glad to help with some artwork, but I'm more interested in adding clone wars era gear and that type of stuff. If you don't want that happening, I'd still be glad to help, as I'm a huge fan of the Star Wars Saga. My steam name is ChromeMax. Keep up the good work!

demeggy

Quote from: ChromeMax on October 28, 2016, 10:37:38 AM
I'd be glad to help with some artwork, but I'm more interested in adding clone wars era gear and that type of stuff. If you don't want that happening, I'd still be glad to help, as I'm a huge fan of the Star Wars Saga. My steam name is ChromeMax. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'm making some good progress with the graphics, let me take a look at the list and hit you up on Steam :)

demeggy

Despite being almost catatonic after the week from hell at work... I've spent some downtime this evening working on some of the Fauna textures, and can confirm we now have Nerf, Boar-Wolves and Tauntaun's (as pictured below in that order) in-game. Alas, you can't sleep in a dead Tauntaun for warmth, but you can't have everything.

Demeggy

demeggy

Quick update, made a fair bit of progress on the artwork today. Quite a few of the Galactic Fauna's ingame, working wonderfully.
Approximately halfway through the creature assets.

Edit: removed the animal screengrab for now....

demeggy

Huge amount of progress made this weekend, with most of the artwork now in. Weapons are completed with graphics and sound, just over half the fauna are ingame and tweaked to function as expected. Another couple of week's and we should be good to go for a release!

One possible avenue I'm yet to go down are races... at this time, I'm focusing on the conversion aspect, but I'm desperate to try and get some of the Galactic Races ingame (Twi'kek, Wookie, Sullustan, Ithorian etc).
If anyone out there has any ideas, then please propose them below!

sulusdacor

nice idea. always looking forward to some other settings to play in.=)

For the races, you might want to take a look at the orassans race mod. its adds tails, which are visible independent from the apparel your pawns wear as far as i have noticed. so would probaly be cool thing to have something like that for some races the star wars universe has.

keep up the work ;)