[A15] Disease Realism (Kind being worked on but not really)

Started by O Negative, October 16, 2016, 08:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Negative

Description:
I started this mod for my own personal playthroughs because I was tired of my colonists getting sick for literally no reason.
I was also pretty sick of diseases not making sense, as far as symptoms are concerned. (Example: Flu killing you, instead of complications of flu killing you)
I decided to post it on this public forum because I thought someone else might enjoy it as much as I do.
You will find the details of what I've done below :)

Current Features:

• Most diseases aren't a magical "incident" anymore; they have cause
  • Insectoids and other animals are known vectors for deadly diseases
  • Some mechanoid weapons are capable of "injecting" a colonist with mechanites
  • Vaccines are available for production upon research of vaccination technology
  • Complications of diseases are far more abundant, and constantly being expanded upon

Basics Status: meh~

Notes

• Being attacked/hit by an infected animal/pawn does not guarantee infection
  • Infections aren't immediately noticed; they start asymptomatic and develop into noticeable symptomatic stages
  • Most diseases are recoverable, if treated in time
  • Some diseases are less deadly than the complications they potentially cause

Current Bugs

• None Known; Waiting for reports

Planned/Advanced Features:

• Respiratory Failure (Similar to Heart Attack): In Progress, Moderate [.dll]
  • Stroke (Permanently Damages the Brain): In Progress, Moderate [.dll]
  • Genetic Diseases (Born with; Not aqcuired): Suspended, Moderately Difficult [.dll]
  • Food = Vector for Parasitic Infections: Suspended, Moderately Difficult [.dll]
  • Other Infected People = Vector for Flu & Plague: Suspended, Difficult [.dll]
  • Rotting Corpses = Vector for Plague: Suspended, Difficult [.dll]

Advanced Status: Suspended

I would have liked to make diseases communicable between people, but I'm afraid I just don't have the know-how as of right now :(
I'm a physiology major, not a software developer :P
I'm all for any advice/opinions on this, by the way. :)

Suspension Reason: Lack of C# knowledge. Will continue once I learn a bit more.
Current Build (v0.0.1b): Download

kaptain_kavern

Hey good idea.
Are animals giving Hediff by damage (like the cobra giving toxicBuildup?) or they are spreading the disease through air just by being there (in that case I don't know how it's done in XML only and I'm really curious about it ^^)

I can't help with C# coding but will try to help if you post question I can answer to.

"bon courage", hope you stay motivated on this because I like the idea

res34

Why not make rats the vector for plague?

Dingo

He can't make rats plague vectors because RimWorld doesn't have Rat Shadows yet. It should be implemented in 2-3 alphas.

O Negative

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on October 16, 2016, 10:07:03 AM
Hey good idea.
Are animals giving Hediff by damage (like the cobra giving toxicBuildup?) or they are spreading the disease through air just by being there (in that case I don't know how it's done in XML only and I'm really curious about it ^^)

I can't help with C# coding but will try to help if you post question I can answer to.

"bon courage", hope you stay motivated on this because I like the idea

Yeah, as far as animal vectors go, it's going through bite damage.
After all, Malaria and Sleeping Sickness are both transmitted via bug bites ;)

The second part you're talking about, airborne disease, is what I had in mind for Flu and Plague.
I was thinking something along the lines of how grass seeds are emitted. Sick people would just randomly shoot "germs" at random locations, and if it happens to hit someone, they get sick too. So far, this is causing issues for me, because I just don't know enough about C# (I know hardly anything about it lol)

Quote from: res34 on October 16, 2016, 10:21:25 AM
Why not make rats the vector for plague?

Considering it, but I thought it might make domesticated rats OP. Don't you think so? :o

Quote from: Dingo on October 16, 2016, 10:47:29 AM
He can't make rats plague vectors because RimWorld doesn't have Rat Shadows yet. It should be implemented in 2-3 alphas.

Ah, yes. There is this issue. I'm trying to get a work-around going, but I might just have to wait for the update :(

O Negative

Alright, guys... I need some advice.

Mechanites. What even are these things?
It doesn't feel right being shot full of what I imagine to be zillions of nanobots via charge lances.
When you imagine getting infected by mechanites, what do you imagine the possible reason(s) to be?

Any thoughts would be helpful. While I wait, I'll be working on making vanilla diseases feel more like actual illness instead of "Bed Rest Simulator 5500"

kaptain_kavern

I, too, imagine them as classical S-F "nanobots". 
They maybe could be given by mechanoids, simply?

I don't know if you could have ranged weapons that give Hediff though   :-\

The antidote could be just to put your fingers in an electrical outlet or shoot yourself with a taser ? ^^

O Negative

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on October 17, 2016, 02:54:51 PM
I, too, imagine them as classical S-F "nanobots". 
They maybe could be given by mechanoids, simply?

I don't know if you could have ranged weapons that give Hediff though   :-\

The antidote could be just to put your fingers in an electrical outlet or shoot yourself with a taser ? ^^

Completely do-able with ranged weapons :D
Ah, if only there were forks in RimWorld :P lol

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: O Negative on October 17, 2016, 03:06:26 PM
Completely do-able with ranged weapons :D
Non-related, but I'm gonna make a tranquillizer-rifle then ^^

Dingo

I think keeping mechanites as a random airborne agent seems fine. Maybe they need to be tweaked in terms of values, though, or have their benefits/drawbacks more easily readable in the hediff.

O Negative

Quote from: Dingo on October 17, 2016, 03:23:24 PM
I think keeping mechanites as a random airborne agent seems fine. Maybe they need to be tweaked in terms of values, though, or have their benefits/drawbacks more easily readable in the hediff.

Thinking I might just do this. Magic mechanites are more acceptable than magic malaria, at least in my book.
Maybe I'll have an "Ah-Ha!" moment some time in the near future, and figure something else out.

Dingo

Another thought: have a chance to get "infected" by mechanites when handling mechanoids / mechanoid hives (not from their actual weapons).

res34

Quote from: O Negative on October 16, 2016, 03:49:28 PM
Considering it, but I thought it might make domesticated rats OP. Don't you think so? :o

Wait, can't you own insectoids also?

O Negative

Quote from: res34 on October 17, 2016, 06:25:49 PM
Wait, can't you own insectoids also?

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. Rats should probably be a vector, regardless. I've already got a simple system in place to make infectious bites a statistical chance, and not a guarantee. Maybe it wouldn't be as OP as I thought.

Tammabanana

A lot of diseases can be picked up from interaction with filth, or from ingestion. Often from water, but pretty much all food preparation requires water, so if you can use food as a vector, that'd be close enough.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo