Tips For Cave Bases?

Started by APBRainbowcar, October 16, 2016, 07:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APBRainbowcar

Have you guys got any tips, I'm Fairly new. I stopped playing for like a year and started playing again recently.

GroeneAppel

1. Cave walls have a negative beauty modifier, make sure to place walls to prevent that.
2. Cave floors have the same issue but can be floored or smoothed.
3. Keep large main hallways, ensure escape routes and always keep turrets in your cavebase.
4. In general, try to keep your prison seperate from the main facility, or atleast easily contained.
5. Consider keeping heaters or coolers around incase you suddenly wish to freeze or heat something. (there was this really interresting mod around that allowed for some proper piping, ala atmos SS13 style)
6. Thin rock roof is NOT secure
7. Pick your entrance carefully, you want it to be defendable.
8. While you are at it, try to focus the bulk of your defences outside, allowing for a retreat inside if really needed. Caves can be a deathtrap.
9. Powerlines burn, wood burns, steel burns; fire generates heat and turns enclosed rooms into ovens. You have been warned.
10. Stonecutting is your friend.
11. Artwork is your wallets and colonist second best friend.
12. Consider stripmining to gather materials, just take care not to turn that stripmining project in a bunch of second entrances to your base.
13. Invest in some indoor farms.
14. Remember that siege equipment cant penetrate thick rock roofs.

Thats just some of the stuff that comes to my mind (and got me killed). Cavebases are easily the most comfortable bases to have, but also come with a unique danger of their own.

APBRainbowcar

There's only 1 thing wrong with that. Everything else! Thank you, Keeping Growing Zones inside caves isn't the best idea, Cause if you put it on soil it grows faster, Add that with light then you have it growing 2x faster! But thank you!

Alenerel

How can you differentiate thick roof from thin?

14m1337

Quote from: APBRainbowcar on October 16, 2016, 07:31:19 PM
There's only 1 thing wrong with that. Everything else! Thank you, Keeping Growing Zones inside caves isn't the best idea, Cause if you put it on soil it grows faster, Add that with light then you have it growing 2x faster! But thank you!

As you can't plant on plane cave floor, GroeneAppel must have meant to use hydroponics in his tip#13. These grant a growth bonus of up to 230% (for rice), while fertile soil only offers 140%. So indoor farms are a very viable option.
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: Alenerel on October 17, 2016, 03:40:07 AM
How can you differentiate thick roof from thin?

Hover over the tile, and a tool tip tells you (another place on the screen).

I always have my whole base under full overhead mountain roof cover, so it's siege proof, that includes my defense area. Keep in mind though, that deeper into the mountain the bugs like to be.

Canute

Quote from: 14m1337 on October 17, 2016, 04:29:49 AM
Quote from: APBRainbowcar on October 16, 2016, 07:31:19 PM

As you can't plant on plane cave floor, GroeneAppel must have meant to use hydroponics in his tip#13. These grant a growth bonus of up to 230% (for rice), while fertile soil only offers 140%. So indoor farms are a very viable option.
On vanila game you want sunlamp + hydroponic indoors anyway at long term gameplay. You planting crew only go outside to play horseshoes for joy to avoid cave collor.

On a modded game, with vegetable garden you can fertilize even the cave floor.

iceteazz

Quote from: GroeneAppel on October 16, 2016, 07:25:26 PM
3. Keep large main hallways, ensure escape routes and always keep turrets in your cavebase.

_ I don't agree this point, because I've been pretty successful with many bases that have no hallways, only rooms. Hallways are a waste of space imo, people can move well with just 1 tile wide " road " between rooms.

4. In general, try to keep your prison seperate from the main facility, or atleast easily contained.

_ My prison is between my freezer because I use nutrient paste machine for auto food serve.

5. Consider keeping heaters or coolers around incase you suddenly wish to freeze or heat something. (there was this really interresting mod around that allowed for some proper piping, ala atmos SS13 style)

_ Waste of resources I think, you can not freeze/burn a room/hallway quick enough to kill mega spider when they spawn. All stuff you need to freeze are inside the freezer, all rooms you need to warm up / cool down are bedrooms, barn ( if needed ) and prison, sometimes rec room/dining room otherwise problem can be solved by clothes.

8. While you are at it, try to focus the bulk of your defences outside, allowing for a retreat inside if really needed. Caves can be a deathtrap.

_ Not right, tactical retreat to buy some time is common, I have many rooms and can defend each one through a door between, I prepare many weapons in places around my base so my people can use if needed. But to be honest, it's a backup plan, our main goal is defeat enemies outside the main base so the strongest defense should be there, outside the main base, with some weaker ones inside, mostly prepared for infestation

9. Powerlines burn, wood burns, steel burns; fire generates heat and turns enclosed rooms into ovens. You have been warned.

_ Use large room to prevent the temp rises quickly, put firefight at priority 1, hold the door open when fire fighting. My bases had never ever got a firefoam inside, or damaged by fire at all, even wiped ones weren't by fire but others.

_ Just some of my opinions, may be wrong or not people style, but work for me after many games.

Wex

Don't EVER have only one way into a room, beside your main entrance.
You'll save yourself a lot of problems with infestations this way.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

APBRainbowcar

1. Cave walls have a negative beauty modifier, make sure to place walls to prevent that.
12. Consider stripmining to gather materials, just take care not to turn that stripmining project in a bunch of second entrances to your base.

Thats just some of the stuff that comes to my mind (and got me killed). Cavebases are easily the most comfortable bases to have, but also come with a unique danger of their own.
Stonecutting? Why?

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: APBRainbowcar on October 17, 2016, 02:33:38 PM

Stonecutting? Why?

Make bricks of all that leftover stone from mountain digging, and use it to wall up and floor up your base and for art.