[MOD IDEA] Immersive way to give traits

Started by xDahaka2012x, October 17, 2016, 05:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xDahaka2012x

Hello, everyone!
I have this idea of giving your colonists new traits IMMERSIVELY! So here are some concepts that I find interesting:

1. Permanent traits. Just like any other trait, you gain them forever. This can be done by some (un)lucky incident, special condition or by wearing apparel, consuming special items or installing special body parts.
I will be using some of the custom traits I am using in my play-through as an example (they can be found on the "Releases" sub-forum)
The psychic drone incident starts. BOOM! One of your colonists gains "Cultist" trait (they worship psychic drones).
You have been in the cramped environment for too long. BOOM! Get "Claustrophobia" trait.
You have eaten human meat. BOOM! Get "Cannibal" trait.
Of course, these should have not 100% chance, but something around 0.01%-5% (depending on the trait and circumstances)

2. Temporary traits. Obviously, you get them for some time. The ways to obtain them are the same, except for apparel and body parts, I guess (though if you can come up with the ideas, I'm only for it).
For example, you drink valium (probably new drug one can create) - you get the "psychotic" trait for a couple of hours (not the best name for it here, but the effect suits it very will).
Or someone insulted you - you get the "Abrasive" trait for a day.
These effects can vary as well in their chances. The first example should be 90-100% (you know, some natural resistance to drugs or whatsoever), but the second can be 30-50%. I guess that would be justified.

3. Removing traits (both permanently and temporarily). I can't come up with examples, but I hope someone can help me here.

I am not a modder myself and I believe such a system will take a lot of effort. But I hope that someone will eventually get interested and involved.
Thanks for your attention!

kaptain_kavern

Ah it's always nice to see detailed suggestion/request ^^

As you seems aware of, this will require "heavy modding" with C# code I think. So I can't help but the mod Psychology have already some of the things you want IIRC

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=24648.0

I'm pretty sure there is a trait that can be obtain during the game with this mod

adtrl

For getting rid of traits maybe some sort of brain chip that can be installed and/or (brain surgery to rewire the brain (maybe). Another could be, they gain a new permanent/temporary trait on their own. Like if they go cultist but no more psychic drones come in they stop worshipping it.
Rawr ^.=.^